Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Rant about spot burning warning!!!

From Hunker
Damn trolls! I too talk freely sbout this subject to certian people. everyone has there little stream whom they cherish more than the famous ones. This is a touchy subject, but if you wanna post a stream on here that not too many people know of, so what? Clearly you know your gonna have a few people come explore the stream due to the amount of anglers that browse these forums. But like Chaz said, Internet+PFBC website= all of pa streams with detail, so it's really not that big of a secret.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 5:16
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Stevens to Twenty mile
tomitrout, Orvis Access 9' mid flex best cottonpickin bugslingin rod out there. If you dont want to spend that much my second choice and rod is the Cabelas LSI great rod for the money,maybe the best rod for the money. And wow!!!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 6:59

From Perry County
It is a touchy subject but the truth and we all know there is a big difference between people wanting to hear the truth or just wanting to hear what they want to hear, but the truth is there are streams that are in trouble and dying because they are not talked about or made as public as some others and left to the slobs of this world to abuse.

The more people are aware of a stream, the fishing and beauty of the area the more attention it gets. No one likes too much attention to a small stream they "think" is all theirs but if that stream starts to have problems IT IS the attention about the stream that saves it.

If someone takes the time, the money and the energy to travel for an hour or more, hike back in the mountains to come to perry county and fish one of the small mountain streams that hold awesome native trout, more power to them, fish on brother. I don't believe that kind of person is a someone who is going to abuse any source.

And by the way, these streams are all of ours, given to us by the Giver of all good things.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 7:08

From Chester County
Respect each other.

Respect our streams.

Respect the rules of the site.

What are the "rules of the site?"

Respect each other.

Respect our streams.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 7:53

From Stevens to Twenty mile
Spot burning must be a new internet catch word for whole hogs? I don't quite understand the term, I guess I fish too much. I watched a guy and his son wade into the only pocket water that holds fish in a three mile section on this creek. He then begun to string his rod,add a leader,tippet and a fly ( a timed 22 minutes). His first back cast landed in the hickory tree behind and above him , he used words unbecoming of his age. I guess he burned that spot?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:02

From NW Penna
Hey fishin good you seem to whine alot about Fisherie..

No one else gill blasted that Brown Trout but you...

Do you think that spot burn didn't create a bunch of traffic to that creek, you are sadly mistaken...Quote:

fishingood wrote:
Same exactly thing happened over on FishErie today, guy posted a report on his trip with a photo, little bit later, a bunch of whiners started bashing him.

http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/531048-love-it/

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:07

From Monessen, PA
This debate and discussion is endless. If I have the time, I'll post dozens of links to the same discussion.

I don't want to speak for the owner, but my take is that the site would like all posters to feel free to share if they choose to do so and also to be free from harrassment and jabs if they choose to post. It is hoped that consideration will be given by posters to sensitive areas, but the truth seems to be that there is never universal agreement on when the discretion of an individual poster has been misused. By far, it seems the best way to handle this is to leave the decision to the individual poster.

People who cringe at a "spot-burn" tend to draw more attention to the thread by protesting. Food for thought.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:13

From Monessen, PA
Incidentally, the note about fisherie makes a small point. Impolite behavior seems to be promoted on so may other fishing forums by this very issue. PAFF has never encouraged impolite behavior among participants.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:21

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
I just wanted to post in this very important thread.

Now that that's done....can anybody recommend me a 9'/5wt?

Sorry, I'm only 6'

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

bingsbaits wrote:

No one else gill blasted that Brown Trout but you...

Do you think that spot burn didn't create a bunch of traffic to that creek, you are sadly mistaken...Quote:

fishingood wrote:
Same exactly thing happened over on FishErie today, guy posted a report on his trip with a photo, little bit later, a bunch of whiners started bashing him.

http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/531048-love-it/

This here is a good point. I went to the thread listed. No doubt, some scenarios, such as the chrome run in Erie, "spot burning" does indeed create a zoo. Something like Erie, all it takes is someone posting a thread like that, and it's "zoo-on!"

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:49

The best brookie stream I found this year is a tiny, steep, remote series of cascading bathtubs. I am sure some people fish there, but I have never seen it mentioned online or in a book. I have never fished it with anyone else, or even discussed it. And I probably wont, because there is no threat of development, etc, and in this fall's low water levels those fish were sitting ducks incl big ones, clustered in bathtub-like pools. All you have to do is the right hike and the climb... why should I tell someone who may tell someone who keeps a bunch of those fish? Or keeps the big ones out the water for half an hour to take a picture? That would not be good for the stream. Someone could easily get hurt up there also. I would not want it on my conscience that I gave info which lead someone to a place where they got hurt.

I also don't think that the rare unposted Pocono streams on private land need any publicity. Someone litters, gets hurt, too many people fish there, and the stream could be posted, and none of us can fish.

I do not tell people about streams with particularly tough wading or climbs. You don't need to spend much time googling news about PA's waterfalls and steep streams to find stories about rescues. People being hurt, or worse. There have been fatalities on glen onoko, bushkill falls, bad injuries in rickets, look it up.

So while some streams need publicity, some streams don't, imho.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:49

Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:05:47
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:09:32
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:10:02
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:12:52
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:13:53
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/23 9:15:29

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
This here is a good point. I went to the thread listed. No doubt, some scenarios, such as the chrome run in Erie, "spot burning" does indeed create a zoo. Something like Erie, all it takes is someone posting a thread like that, and it's "zoo-on!"

True, I mean I'm against discussing little known spots, or being too specific, but in that report, it's not like he gave step by step directions on how to get to the spot (and it's a pretty well known spot for anyone who's fished the stream with regularity). And, I'm not even sure how many people are aware of Fisherie, or PaFlyFish, since when I go out there, and get into a conversation with someone, I ask if they are on either site, always good to give a shout out. MAYBE 1 or 2 out of every 10 know about either one.

So, how does this work? Should we all start blurring out the background of photos we take so that no one knows where we are fishing.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:19

Stocking over wild trout is the ultimate spot burning.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:20

From Dauphin PA
If you are still in the dark and can't figure out the stream Chaz is talking about....... it's Jordan Creek.

Tom,
I hate to be picky but if you were trying to quote Ray Turner, the speech goes..."Respect your mother, respect the river and respect yourself. Watch out for the bears." I've heard it many times. LOL.

Does "spot burning" increase angler traffic? I'd have to say yes. Do I believe in it ruining a fishery? Not really. I post freely about rivers and do share "secret spots" if asked. A perfect example of media and internet influence on a stream was seen by me this spring while floating with my nephew. Mutzibaugh met us in Hancock and I gave him several wading spots to try (some were off the beaten path or not so easy to find). I was floating the WB of the Delaware with my nephew and Tom from NJ. As we rounded the bend below the Delaware River Club......25-30 wade fisherman at the Methodist Camp. I can tell you that in the late 80's, I could fish that pool for an entire weekend and not see 2 other fisherman. I can't recall floating through that pool in the last 5 years where it hasn't been jammed with fishermen. Does it suck? YES. It makes it much harder to get a fishing spot and I'd imagine it's more stressful for the fish. That's the downside. The good part is that if the river needs help, there's probably 10,000 more voices and wallets to help. I hate crowds but I guess there's some good things that can come from the extra fishing pressure / attention.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:28

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:

I think it's hilarious that all you regulars over there have a world class fishery, and 24/7, all you do is p*ss and moan and find problems with everything. And then, when I, or someone makes valid points that you don't like, you have the hypocritical audacity to come over here and accuse me of whining? I don't think so!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 9:30

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com