Question about open/closed seasons...

I

Imgonnamissher

Haven't posted in a bit, but a good long while ago, I posted about moving to the Gettysburg area with my wife. Well, the summer has passed, and I have loved the fishing in the area. However, as we move into Fall, I was hoping someone could clarify a few issues for me. I have read the regs book, and I have looked through what posts I can without an internet connection at home or time at work, but I just want to make sure I am not breaking laws.

-If a stream is managed for trout, but not open all year, I assume it is closed to fishing for any species. Is this correct?

-If a stream is not managed for trout, is it open all year? (For example, the covered bridge near Gettysburg, or Marsh Creek...hope this isn't spot burning too bad)

-Is there a closed season on lakes and ponds, or is it different from place to place?

-Also, if anyone can comment on trout streams in Michaux state forest, I am curious if they are open all year or closing up for the year now.

Thanks for any and all replies, and while this may seem silly, I was used to a cut and dry season and limit system where we moved from, so this is all a bit much to take in when all I want to do is fish without harming the resource or getting fined.

Here is the key-- the only streams or waters EVER closed to fishing are those designated "Approved Trout Waters" (ATWs). These close from March 1 to the opening day of trout. The rest has to do with harvest restrictions. If all you are worried about is being on the stream with a rod in your hand, this is all you need to know.

Now, an accidental kill of an out-of-season fish could subject you to a fine (in fact, you need only "harm" the fish, not kill it). If you want to avoid this risk, then after Labor Day only fish on ATWs or areas downstream on the same water.

Imgonna,
Check your PM.

Back