Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Question about hatches

From Bel Air, MD
So I don't know what made me think of this, but after fishing a nice sulphur hatch on the Gunpowder this weekend, I wonder what would happen if you were to fish something unrelated, like a streamer, during a hatch.

I understand that the fish key on certain bugs, and sizes of bugs, etc. but with so many fish in the area, what do you think would happen if you started chucking a wooly bugger in front of them? Seems to me, you would have to catch something, right?

Has anybody ever done such an experiment?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 0:00

Re: Question about hatches

From Ferguson Twp.
Yes, it can work very well. Actually streamers are very related, the baitfish like bugs too. And the larger trout are down there eating the baitfish eating the bugs. Have fun and congrats.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 5:59

From Chester County
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
So I don't know what made me think of this, but after fishing a nice sulphur hatch on the Gunpowder this weekend, I wonder what would happen if you were to fish something unrelated, like a streamer, during a hatch.

I understand that the fish key on certain bugs, and sizes of bugs, etc. but with so many fish in the area, what do you think would happen if you started chucking a wooly bugger in front of them? Seems to me, you would have to catch something, right?

I'm sure you would catch some fish, but to me, the best, or at least most enjoyable part of FFing is fishing during a hatch and catching fish on top. It's not really about catching the most fish as much as it's about having the most enjoyment. One can catch fish 365 stripping streamers, but fishing during a good hatch doesn't happen that often, or a least often enough....for me anyway.

Sidenote: I once witnessed Fredrick stripping streamers in the middle of a march brown spinner fall on Penns and he caught a few, I recall

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:20

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Sidenote: I once witnessed Fredrick stripping streamers in the middle of a march brown spinner fall

That's because he was the last one the spinners got down to.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 7:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Generally speaking, the fishing with "something else" isn't as good. As you said, they get keyed into a food item, often to the exclusion of everything else.

Story: In my baitfishing (minnow tossing) days, I fished Spring Creek twice. The first was February. I probably approached 100 fish, including big ones, that day. I quickly learned why some guys do so well on spinners, my only obstacle was the time it takes to get a new minnie on. The second time I fished it was a late July morning. Same stretch of water. I got skunked. Couldn't buy a hit. And it was extremely frustrating as there were fish rising everywhere (to what I now know was a trico spinner fall).

That said, in many hatches it isn't ALL of the fish are keyed in on the hatch. Those on something else could still hit. And there are situations where what lv2nymph says is absolutely accurate. Think about it. Big fish eat small fish. Small fish are typically difficult to get. But every once in a while, a hatch is on, and little fish are up near the surface, away from their cover, and they're looking up instead of down. For instance, on the Susquehanna, it's extremely common to throw big streamers for smallies during the whitefly hatch for this very reason. The same is true of trout in places. The big ones out there aren't among the risers, they're eating the risers!

Posted on: 2013/5/22 7:43

From Gettysburg
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
I understand that the fish key on certain bugs, and sizes of bugs, etc. but with so many fish in the area, what do you think would happen if you started chucking a wooly bugger in front of them?

It's worth a try. If you're in a situation where the rising fish are all small and you've caught your share of dinks (or can't catch anything at all), throwing something different below the surface can be worthwhile. A resident big fish might move out from cover around dusk while all the insects and little trout are going bonkers....and just wait to grab a small trout or chub from the circus.
Your streamer has a shot at sticking that fish. I'm not saying this is common, but it is plausible and - I think - a more common reality than many anglers realize. In my experience, at least down here around the Cumberland Valley, very large trout are not much inclined to feed on insects, even when a dense hatch is happening.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 7:54

From Shrewsbury, PA
I've done experiments using other patterns during hatches especially midges. Last week on the Gun, I hooked 20 fish on midges during a modest sulfur hatch. I believe that feeding fish are opportunistic and when the see food they are familar with they will take. I've had this positive experience with midges on many stream in many states.

Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/22 9:33

From Greensburg, PA
during a grannom hatch on the Little J with Albatross I wasn't hooking up with fish (for any number of reasons) during a cloud of bugs. Put on a bug green bugger and hooked into a huge fish that eventually broke me off. The had a couple hits after changing buggers but although I still never landed any the ones that were hitting what I was offering seemed bigger and just as willing. I will often fish something other than what is obvious for one reason or another (sometimes just to see if I can) and get the same number of strikes or close to it. The whole thing is one big "i wonder what would happen" fest for me.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 10:34

From Cato, NY
sometimes the fun of flyfishing is catching fish the way you want to catch them. If you want to strip streamers during a hatch I say go for it. Learning as many techniques as possible is fun in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 11:00

From Bel Air, MD
Good stuff, thanks guys.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 11:20

From Newville, PA
I have had good results fishing a flo orange ant during trico hatches on CV limestoners.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 11:54

From Eastern PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Sidenote: I once witnessed Fredrick stripping streamers in the middle of a march brown spinner fall on Penns and he caught a few, I recall

I threw a crawdad during green drakes a couple of years ago and did significantly better than the dry fly slingers. Having said that, I agree with your statement whole heartedly.

BTW, what time of day/night did you catch the spinner fall?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 12:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com