Public Comment Period Open for Draft Trout Management Plan; Deadline 31 Dec 2015 for Comment

Comments sent.

I am in favor of adopting the Trout Management Plan for 2016-17 as written.

Anyone know what the Peach Bottom Settlement Fund is (potential source for grants for wild trout habitat improvement in Lancaster/York counties)?

Is this related to the DOE settlement with Exelon in 2004 or is it some other settlement that Exelon entered into with PFBC for some pollution incident? Or is it an offshoot of the nuclear plant permitting process that funds be made available for public recreation, etc.?

Overall, I think the plan looks good.

afishinado wrote:
Comments sent.

I am in favor of adopting the Trout Management Plan for 2016-17 as written.
X2 I just submitted my comment in favor also.

Lots of years money in the LWCF ended up being spent on other things then the outdoors. If the PFBC is underfunded or in need of funds to do things like survey streams which would require hiring more people and putting people to work while conserving the environment, then how is that justifiable at all? Can the PFBC not apply for funding from the LWCF?

http://lwcfcoalition.org/

PocketWater wrote:
Lots of years money in the LWCF ended up being spent on other things then the outdoors. If the PFBC is underfunded or in need of funds to do things like survey streams which would require hiring more people and putting people to work while conserving the environment, then how is that justifiable at all? Can the PFBC not apply for funding from the LWCF?

http://lwcfcoalition.org/

http://www.paoutdoorrecplan.com/cs/groups/public/documents/document/d_002732.pdf

Salmonid: See the 2014 PFBC annual report. Scroll down to page 10. Check out the funds for dam removals in York and Lancaster Co and check out the separate funds for habitat work on wild trout streams there. This is a grand opportunity.

http://fishandboat.com/promo/annualreport/2014ann_rpt.pdf

Mike wrote:
Salmonid: See the 2014 PFBC annual report. Scroll down to page 10. Check out the funds for dam removals in York and Lancaster Co and check out the separate funds for habitat work on wild trout streams there. This is a grand opportunity.

http://fishandboat.com/promo/annualreport/2014ann_rpt.pdf

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure how I missed that originally, but I think one could find $100,000 worth of annual work on local streams, for a few years :)

Submitted my comments. Lichvar and Bachman are "our" allies.

Raise the fees- for access and wild trout!

comments submitted in favor of the plan, listing my favored priorities as continuing the unassessed waters program and stream habitat enhancement activities.

I submitted my agreement too, with the following comments :

I agree with the draft as suggested, but would make two comments due to the long dry summers that we consistently face - 1) greater stocking in ponds and lakes that would holdover trout in the summer, should occur.
2) greater emphasis should also be placed on early fall stockings in DHALO, C&R & FFO sections than ATW sections, as for the last three years demand on such sections many streams has outweighed the spring demand, judging by the number of gear and fly anglers seen out and about by myself. I certainly fish more in the fall than spring due to cooler air and water temperatures and higher water flows.

I didn't mention it but, compared to other states, I think our lake and pond trout fishing is very under utilized apart from in the typically short spring.

IMHO the winter (December) pond stockings are a complete waste of money as the only people that fish for them are the hardy souls who have their own boats and a few shore gear guys.

as most ponds are not favourable for shore fly fishers, a much larger C&R stocking in September (not October) would enable more fly fishers and float tubers to hire boats or float for trout.

basically I don't think our state regs have ever adjusted to the change in our climate - short dry springs into long dry summers, followed by a long mild fall.

cheers

Mark.

September lake water temps are largely too warm to stock plus many lakes are still stratified for most of the month. As for December stockings in lakes, they are primarily aimed at the ice fisheries that are soon to follow.

acristickid wrote:
Submitted my comments. Lichvar and Bachman are "our" allies.

Raise the fees- for access and wild trout!
Dr. Bachman is no longer a commissioner.

Mike wrote:
September lake water temps are largely too warm to stock plus many lakes are still stratified for most of the month. As for December stockings in lakes, they are primarily aimed at the ice fisheries that are soon to follow.

What about the old January/February stockings? And why did they end? Money issues or was there another reason?

I really enjoyed the February stockings on my local-ish river. Not only did they provide more fish for late winter fishing, but those fish added to the spring fish. Along with the fall stockies, they chunked up and got nicer looking by the time the spring caddis hatches started. They got acquainted to the natural food sources nicely and were more willing to rise to flies than eat powerbait ;-)

Submitted and you'll never guess.....yep, railed on Raystown tailwater non-initiative.

Bump.
Deadline is 31 Dec if you have not already taken the time to review the plan and comment.

Back