Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Pros vs Cons ownig a Cabin

From Ligonier
Would never sell mine (I'm sure my daughters will though when I'm dead and gone). Agreed with prior comments: Never partner with anyone (as I do with a hunting camp). Always have buy in an area with alternitive activities to get year-round usage. And alway be sure you can afford it and the maintenance - you dont want it to be a financial drain or a point of contention with the wife.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:30

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
If it were me I'd change one thing about your "dream". I'd put my nice little trout stream side cabin in another state. You can always travel around PA and fish, but having something out west that you can stay in for a few weeks out of the year and even share with other people, now that is more like it!

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:12

From Newville, PA
I've been involved in two camps, both with partners. I will definitely say choose your partners wisely. While we certainly had some minor issues, overall I would say the experience was great. Key is having a firm set of bylaws. In each of the camps to which I belonged, we had a rule stipulating that any member who wanted out would only receive his initial investment during the first 15 years. I can tell you from experience that a member asking to be bought out can present a financial hardship on other members. With that rule in place, we only had one guy who wanted out and that was because he inherited another camp. Maintenance can be a pain in the butt. It is inevitable that some members will feel as though other members are doing their fair share. We had a rule covering that as well. Our camps had 2 scheduled work weekends each year. Failure to attend without a good excuse (work, illness, etc) would cost you $50. Never had a problem. We just sold our camp in Franklin county last June. Purchased it with three friends in in 1994 and as we got older, we just didn't get as much use of it as we would have liked. Best part is that we are still the best of friends. I'm currently looking to build a place along Pine Creek to spend fishing season when I retain next year.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:44

I would say absolutely. If you have the dream and the drive go for it. When Im not up there I am daydreaming about being there.
It took us a year just to prepare the site hauling out the old junk and trash and dismantling an older falling down structure on the property. We had an amish crew bang out the shell and tin roofing in a weekend but it took us another 1 1/2 years to complete the inside plumbing electrical and finish work ourselves. We use a Sunmar composing toilet that works great, Its green, no septic and low environmental impact.
The simpler and more minimalist you keep it the better. It took alot of sweat equity and hard work but we did it and now enjoy it every chance we get. I dont regret a minute of it.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:52

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I will definitely say choose your partners wisely.

Agree with this, though perhaps we were the "bad guys" who lucked into the thing.

Our camp started with my grandfather and a bunch of his friends, who bought the land and built the place, made the bylaws, etc. My dad and uncle (both related to my grandpap only through marriage) started going frequently and became members. Then me, my brother, and a few cousins.

The older, original members got old, and pretty much stopped going. Every one of them wanted to sell, to basically boost their retirement accounts by recovering initial investments. And they held onto their memberships hoping that we would sell, thus they'd get a share. But now my uncles' families and our family outnumbered them, and we didn't want to sell. They slowly died off and are now gone. The modern members (us) had zero skin in the game regarding the upfront costs, merely maintenance costs and bills. But we have now inherited the place. Those original members didn't recover any of their initial investments.

That's the way it goes, I suppose. And they built the camp intending for it to be used, and it has been used frequently over all these years. But I have to say I feel a little bit guilty. They bought the land, built the cabin, and eventually wanted to sell. I stumbled into "ownership" for no up front cost at all, and a measly $100/year, and helped prevent them from selling it.

If you go the group route, and hope to recover ANYTHING, ever, then be real careful about letting new members, like me, in.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 14:49

From LV
No sooner did I join the camp with friends than Ms. D went and bought a camper. Part of the reason for joining the camp was so I'd have a place to stay in NC PA that didn't cost anything and I could go there any time I wanted. Now my time is split between the 2. I'm not really liking it. I'd rather have 1 or the other, not both.
There's an advantage to having a camper, but it scares me she wants to do it full time. I don't, I'd almost rather live at the camp full time.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 17:36

From Glendora nj
Love it and Hate it. It is having another house with all the bs. But when the family is all there and we have fire at night and playing cards it worth it. The stream is about 100 yards from the cabin and loaded with natives. It is about a 1hr and half from from so not a bad ride. My buddy and I have a cabin in potter I have not been there in 2 yrs. With the kids sports..

Wife and I just bought property in montana that should be interesting to see what we build there. My wife watches way to much hgtv.

Get one. You will complain but sitting back drinkng a beer and relaxing. Thats what it is all about.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 18:20

From South Hills Pgh.
I have never owned one myself but I grew up with one. Dad and two buddies of his. When I was 15 the "buddies" wanted out and my dad was forced to sell. I cried my eyes out when it sold. Of course at that age I only saw mostly the good parts and not too much of the bills,costs, etc... I dream of buying some property and building a small place one day.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 18:55

From Banshee
Hey, this has been great input from everyone. Exactly what I was hoping for and knew I was tapping into the right group of fellows. I will continue to weigh out the pros and cons but never stop dreaming about my own place along a stream.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:25

From Clearfield
not to be too straight forward but if its your dream, or you are dreaming about it, make it happen whether its now or 10 years from now

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:42

From Harrisburg
Hey, if any of you guys want to trade a weekend there in exchange for mowed grass and a 6-pack left in the fridge...

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:45

From Dauphin
hahah im with goro. But in all seriousness I'D KILL FOR A CABIN WITH MY FRIENDS. I have ones I can go to, but not like one I own myself and feel "part of."

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:51

From Luzerne County, PA
Sounds like this group (including me) might be game for investing in a nice cabin on the creek

Posted on: 2013/4/10 23:31

From Berks County, PA
I bought a house right on Fishing Creek (Columbia County) last year and have no regrets. Its a place I can get away to fish and relax. Enjoy the times we have with family and friends too. if you can affort it I would highly recommend buying something that doesn't require alot of maintenance and work. I think down the road creek side property in PA will only increase in value and may be a nice investment.

Ron

Posted on: 2013/4/11 7:46

When shopping for a cabin, don't assume that stream access that is open now will be open in the future, if the land is privately owned. The trend is toward closure of private property. Get a cabin near extensive public lands, which you know will remain open.

And, once again, be sure the cabin is not in the floodplain! I looked at those ads for cabins at the link that Brad posted. Many of them are in the floodplain.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 7:55

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com