Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Re: Private Water Fly Fishing
From Chester County

Posted on: 2012/2/19 8:37

From Harrisburg
A friend of mine took me there once. Awesome, awesome water on the creek. Caught stocked rainbows and brookies and one wild brownie with half its bottom jaw torn off, and then went up the tinyest of tribs and caught multiple natives.
We ended the day up at the ponds where I wasnt allowed to fish and I played photographer. The brookies arent quite the pellet fed pigs one would imagine. I didnt quite understand it cause the ponds looked like they should be exactly that. Very beautiful. The dues were somewhere in the 400's, I think $465.00 per year. Not bad really, but I dont have any desire to go back, even on another free pass.
Perhaps when I get older.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 9:02

The majority of responders to this thread prove beyond a reasonable doubt what a bunch of clueless idiots you all are. Many of you offer your opinions with zero information and after zero research. Gene has done more for streams in PA and knows more about streams than most of you.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 19:49

From Bucks County
I agree with green weenie in that Macri is a good guy and knows what he is doing. Sure the film was boring but hey, I'm still not gonna knock the guy. I for one would love making a living from fishing and he does it in a good way.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 20:04

From Mount Joy, PA
I remember that thread ST...

Posted on: 2012/2/19 20:09

From Harrisburg
Dear greenweenie,

Defend him all you want he is still stocking rainbow trout over wild fish, in a pay to fish club setting no less. I don't care what he did before, I'm judging him by what he's doing at the present time, and now he's doing the wrong things for MONEY!

So feel free to spin your defense anyway you want to because it doesn't matter, what he is doing is by definition the height of selling out.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/2/19 21:32
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Tim,

There is some supplementing of stocked fish in sections THAT DO NOT SUPPORT WILD TROUT. So bash all you want without facts. Btw, do you know the condition of the stream and the wild trout population prior to the stream being once again privatized compared to where it is now?

Hear what your saying but just because the guy makes some money from this doesn't mean he's sold out. If that's your definition of sold then every chapter and executive officer of TU has sold out.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 21:44

From Newville, PA
I do not know Gene Macri. I am however grateful for the work he and Dr. Black performed which led to the closing of the Big Spring Fish Cultural Station in 2001. For someone who calls the Big Spring home, I am convinced we could not have made the strides made thus far without the efforts of Gene and Dr. Black. I have a dream of seeing the Big Spring return to the stream I knew as a child in the early 60's. At age 54, that may or may not happen in mu lifetime, but I don't think anyone can argue the Big Spring is not a better place 10 years after the closing of the hatchery.

Fee fishing is not my style, but far be it from me to knock it. As has been stated by others on the board, I too have concerns with stocking over top of healthy, sustainable populations of wild fish, but since they own the land, they are entitled to do as they see fit.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 22:06

From Harrisburg
Dear greenweenie,

What is he doing that is different from what Donnie Beaver does except for perhaps by degree? Just because the club caters to a less well to do clientele doesn't make what is being done right, charging people to fish is still charging people to fish, isn't it?

Many people on this board had no trouble bashing Joe Humphreys and Lefty Kreh for being associated with Beaver's operation.

Selling memberships in a pay to fish operation isn't widely considered to responsible stewardship of a resource by either myself or anyone that I'm with whom I'm acquainted. I don't foresee anything happening that will change that but you may certainly try.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/2/19 22:13
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

I have to agree with Tim M. Mainly, I am disappointed to hear of Macri's association with this club. From what I knew of him, he was a positive influence regarding wild trout. I am truly sorry to hear that he sold out to this, as Tim noted, irresponsible stewardship of a resource. So sad.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 22:31

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
If you think that video was bad, give their website and whirl and see what a crock of sh*t that thing is. If this stream that they speak so highly of is as good as they say, why isn't class A? And while thinking along the same lines, then why is it being stocked?

Posted on: 2012/2/19 23:03

From Clarion co.
I have no issue with what this guy does. Hell, i'd do the same if i had the chance. I do however, find it incredibly irratating when i see some guy grinning ear to ear holding a pellet pig trout, pretending it is a trophy. (But thats just my opinion.)

Posted on: 2012/2/19 23:06

Tim, sounds like your gripe is nothing more than pay to fish. This is actually the European and uk model and almost all the best rivers are privatized. And why is what he doing not right? What isn't right about it other than you don't agree with pay to fish?

This isn't just stocking thousands of pellet head hogs over wild trout it's about maintaining the stream and monitoring the trout - managing resources - and it's called riverkeeping and it follows the European and English model. There is some supplemental stocking of trout in sections that don't currently support wild trout but measures are underway to expand wild trout into these sections. The club takes care of the stream so how do you not call that conservation? Are these people supposed to do this for free?

I can see where people don't like pay to fish but people are making all sorts of negative comments on what he is doing based on irrelevant information. The video is boring or his websites arent polished so he is an idiot and what he is doing is wrong. That's my point, you might not like pay to fish but that doesn't mean what he is doing is wrong and not good for the stream.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 8:32

From Mont Co, Pa
GW, you come on here just this month with all of 16 posts and refer to members as "clueless idiots". Great start! Just because some folks don't see things the same way you see them, they're idiots? Anyone who supports stocking over an already existing, naturally reproducing population of trout will not be viewed as a true "river keeper".

Posted on: 2012/2/20 9:35

From Monessen, PA
Ok, why isn't having a general moral repugnance toward pay-to-fish waters a valid position to hold. It isn't just a gripe about pay-to-fish operations, that is the WHOLE gripe, at least with me.

And not that I care, because I don't care about private property owners closing the creek to just their sports, but let us not kid ourselves that it is what it is: as you say, the European model, and some of us don't want to see Pennsylvania's resources placed under the pay-to-play European model.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 9:37

Edited by JackM on 2012/2/20 14:11:17

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com