Preferred weight??

troutpoop

troutpoop

OK, This has probably been discussed before but I can't find it.
Currently I use split shot. I have one of those packs with different sizes and seem to use up the same size all the time, adding or subtracting from that size. Does anyone else have this problem? Is the "soft weight" worth trying or does it just fly off? I'm trying to be more flexible in my approaches but it seems that means carrying more stuff and I am a minimalist where possible.

In colder weather the tungston putty is hard and does come off in such weather.

I fish a lot in the winter and use tungsten putty all the time. It works well for me through all the seasons. Forget about making little "footballs" with it...roll it on the tippet so it ends up like spaghetti.

Figure out what sizes of shot you use the most and just buy larger containers of shot in just those sizes. You can refill your current selection from those if you wish to avoid carrying the extra containers.

Kev

I rarely use the "fly fishing" shot. I typically use the removable bb size. I don't feel like any of the sizes of fly fishing shot are big enough to actually do anything. For me it depends on the type of water I'm fishing, and I typically fish the fast water and need more weight though.

If you're buying fancy shot containers at fly shops you're wasting alot of money. Go to walmart, buy some bb and b and have at it. If you just need a tiny bit of weight, use beadheads, wrap lead in your fly, or buy weighted flies.

Smart.

To me BB and B are too big, but there are cheaper options for shot.

I prefer to weight my flies because shot has a tendancy to get stuck between rocks and cause tangles...not to mention weaken tippet.

If a fly gets stuck on the stream bottom it is easy to free compate to if shot does.

Does the Tungsten putty move on the leader? I often move my split shot depending on the depth of the water etc. I read people putting knots where they put the putty so it doesn't move but I think that would weaken the leader at that spot.

Often the difference between catching and not catching fish is getting your fly to the proper level; that is where ever the fish are holding or feeding, which can be anywhere from on the bottom to all the way up just under the surface.

I tie heavy, lighter and unweighted flies and use them to try to reach the proper level. With that being said, it is nearly impossible to tie flies that weigh exactly enough to fish at a particular level, especially with many of the smaller flies I tie and fish.

Also, with a few steps upstream, the velocity or depth of the water may change and weight adjustment may be needed to fish that part of the run effectively.

To keep me in the game, I add or subtract tungsten putty on my tippet to fine tune my flies and drift. You can add or subtract T-putty very easily. Micro shot works, but it's a PITA to put on and remove. For deep or fast runs, I often use heavy flies and larger split-shot (size b or bb) if needed and I fine tune my weight with some T-putty.

I'd also add that learning to mend line and using tuck casts are also effective ways to put your flies in the zone.

I try to put the putty on blood knots, but it usually stays put pretty well whether I do or not.

I find that putty does fly off more than shot, but lasts way, way longer because I always reuse it. Shot, not so much.

Here's how I use shot:

1) I carry a wheel of that French (or whatever) shot that has sizes 4 through 9. Then for general nymphing in smaller streams where I'm likely to have to vary the amount of weight to meet different current conditions, etc., I'll put a #7 shot on the leader and then add or remove tungsten putty as needed. The shot keeps the putty from slipping all the way down the leader on more boisterous casts.

2) If I'm fishing slow pools and making soft casts, I'll only use the putty. Pressed into the spaghetti shape Afish suggested, it will stay put better than you might think. This sort of fishing is useful for presenting sinking inchworm imitations in slow, deep pools (I learned this from Troutbert who, IIRC, said he learned it from Don Douple). Out here, I also fish a fly a friend designed that we called the MudHook in this way in deeper pools. Very effective..

RleeP,
Very cool idea putting the small shot on and then tuning with the putty. The shot I assume acts as the stopper to keep the putty from moving. I have that same wheel-of-shot that appears to be foreign.

My preferred weight is about 185 lbs. Oops wrong weght. It depends on the water and how fast and deep it is.

Rleep-those wheels of french stuff has been around since the early 60s.
Surprised to hear it mentioned.lol

I think the putty stinks. I carry two containers of mixed shot. I used to carry one until I was a far walk down Penns one day and dropped my container in some heavy water. Ruined the day. So now I always carry an extra. They are both the same though. Mostly filled with BB and AB, some AAA, and then a mix of various size small shot.

afishinado wrote:
Often the difference between catching and not catching fish is getting your fly to the proper level; that is where ever the fish are holding or feeding, which can be anywhere from on the bottom to all the way up just under the surface.

I tie heavy, lighter and unweighted flies and use them to try to reach the proper level. With that being said, it is nearly impossible to tie flies that weigh exactly enough to fish at a particular level, especially with many of the smaller flies I tie and fish.

Also, with a few steps upstream, the velocity or depth of the water may change and weight adjustment may be needed to fish that part of the run effectively.

To keep me in the game, I add or subtract tungsten putty on my tippet to fine tune my flies and drift. You can add or subtract T-putty very easily. Micro shot works, but it's a PITA to put on and remove. For deep or fast runs, I often use heavy flies and larger split-shot (size b or bb) if needed and I fine tune my weight with some T-putty.
+1, you saved me all that typing. For this is how I roll as well.

While I believe a lot and getting your flies to the right depth I think the largest factor in getting fish to strike is drift.

Although most flies can swim they are still at the wimms of the current.

On top of that, many flies pulse through out the water column; especially before emergance.

I would think if food was near enough to dart over and grab because it was drag free and not an inch too high and fish would.

Back