Pontoon Question

P

Paraleptalata

I'm sure this question has been asked in the past but I'm new to the forum. Does anybody have any experience with Creek Company Pontoons. The boats look nice, specs aren't awful(not great either) and they sell the hell out of them, but the price scares me a bit. I'm not against a good deal but I don't want garbage just to save some money. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Blue Quill Drake

Only pontoon I have ever seen blow up was a Creek Company and it was on it's maiden voyage. Their warranty process sucked for the guy. What to look for:

1) Aluminum frame. Crucial.
2) Tubes - you want a quality tube obviously.
3) Oar Locks - solid bronze.
4) Weight capacity - at least 600lbs.

Which model and what price scares you?

Pretty much all of them, mainly as I hinted at before, the price is extremely low. I am pretty knowledgable on what makes a good vs bad tube. These are not the best boats I know, but was just curious too see what people thought of them on the water. Put it this way I am a firm believer in the idea that you get what you pay. On the other hand I am in the process of selling a Sage rod that sold for around $450 eight years ago because i am in love with a Greys rod that i got for $250 last year. Hope that kind of makes sense.
Para

I have a Creek Company 1man pontoon, it was like $300. After several floats on the Delaware I upgraded the pontoon bladder covers to the heavy duty PVC covers available by special order on their website. I've had it several years now and it works fine on the Lehigh and Delaware. I've put in at Glen Onoko at the lower end of the gorge and had no trouble up to Class III rapids. I highly recommend replacing the nylon covers with the heavy duty PVC covers.

I also now have a Scadden McKenzie Drifter 2man. Great boat but a lot more money.

Pontoon boat makers use two frame types: steel tube or aluminum. The steel frames are used on the cheaper models, the aluminium frames have a higher whitewater rating and are on the higher end boats. They are stronger, a little lighter and don't rust.

Best advice is to get the best boat you can afford.

RyanR wrote:
The steel frames are used on the cheaper models, the aluminium frames have a higher whitewater rating and are on the higher end boats. They are stronger, a little lighter and don't rust.

Best advice is to get the best boat you can afford.

The rust thing is huge.

Look into a stainless steel frame. Your backside is on the line when you are floating. Bucks Bags rule.

I second what Beeber said. I followed his suggestion on getting a bucks bag 'toon in '05. It is still goin strong!
These seem to ride higher in the water as well. These aren't the cheapest on the market but if you're in it for the long haul it should even out in $/trip

Thank you for the input fellows. I had pretty much decided on a Scadden boat for all the mentioned reasons but sometimes its hard to part with an extra 6-8 hundred bucks. Much appreciated.

I have a creek company toon, it's fairly rugged and very dependable. I'm not a huge guy, about 5'6 and 150lbs. It works for me. My friend has a Scadden and it's more stable on the water, and he's twice my size.

I would say if you're starting out and not sure how much you'll use it, get a creek company, their service is excellent and they have parts for everything, and I've never needed anything replaced after 5 years of nominal use. If you're going to be river rafting get the better toon. My point being, you can always step up and sell your cheaper toon. They do take some getting used to.

Look at Watermaster Rafts. Hybrid toon/raft. Expensive but from what I can already tell on my first year of ownership worth it.

Whitewater raft quality material (the crafstmanship of these things is noticeable first time you see them). NO FRAME TO ASSEMBLE. Stable. LIGHTWEIGHT. portable at 40#'s combined pack weight which makes transportation a snap.

I researched the market and guys have had these going on like 15 years now, and that was the companies earlier designes which are nothing like todays.....todays are far ahead.

Pricey but worth it, and the saying you get what you pay for I believe holds true here. You can get cheaper models but in 10-15 years you'll replace them 2-3 times depending on use. So why not invest the $ now, get it done right and really enjoy your time without any hassles or equipment failurs.

my .02

You get what you pay for. I can potentially get you a deal on a Dave Scadden raft/pontoon if you want to PM me. These are the best soft boats made IMO. You pay a touch more but it is well worth it unless you aren't particular about your gear. Scadden's new frameless models are out of this world - easy, durable, light, multi-functional...

scaddens and watermasters are essentially the same thing. matter of preference. Either way, the frameless design beats framed any day if you ask me.....for a multitude of reasons. These one man boats do it all and their portability is awesome. Definitely look into either/both before you make any decision.

If you have the resources to buy one you won't be disappointed.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the frame v. frameless issue. Frame models are substantially more stable and more comfortable for long floats, not to mention the whole casting platform thing. I'll take 10 minutes to put the boat together in exchange for all the benefits.

Mine stays put together in the van..I like the frame models for modifing.

jdaddy, have you used a frameless? My frameless Scadden is actually probably more stable, lighter, and 100 x easier to put together and take apart than any of the multitude of framed boats I've been in. There are essentially no "pieces" to break, get lost, etc... I imagine some cheaper frameless makes are junk, but the Scadden is rock solid!

Can you stand up in the frameless model?

Yes u can stand in various positions depending on the model. My 2 man is designed with a high seat in the front and a foot rest which makes sitting down and casting a breeze. i honestly find it as comfortable and effective as standing on the bow of a driftboat...

Ive got a water skeeter thats 10 yaers old with a steel frame,Mouse chewed a hole in one pontoon ,Replaced it with no problem and have no issuse other than that. oyea 350 bucks.

Back