Plan B Trip Review

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I forgot to follow up on this. Many of you know I was planning a trip to the Smokies in October, but the trip got axed due to the guv'ment shutdown. So my dad, brother, and I headed north to where it all started for us. Here's a little write up and pics I did for the trip on my blog.

This is long overdue, but sometimes I just need some time to digest things. Plus, my school work load is doubled up now, so posting time is limited. Still, here is what I can remember from our trip north.

We were, no doubt, disappointed that the national park was closed. It would have been my first trip to the Smokies, and I planned this trip for quite a long time. Still, going north into the Pennsylvania wilds was like a trip down memory lane for us. Camping at Ole Bull State Park, stopping in at Kettle Creek Tackle Shop, even a trip to the old "honey hole" on Kettle Creek, it was like the "old days" for my dad, brother, and me. This is where it all began for us. We learned how to fly fish here. So by the time we arrived at Ole Bull, we weren't even thinking about the Smoky Mountains.

The trip started beautifully. A bald eagle was spotted on the way up, and I was glad to buy a camera with a 10x zoom! Day one started on Hammersley Fork. This was less about the fishing and more about seeing a patch of virgin hemlock trees that survived the logging boom of the mid 1800s. We arrived on the Hammersley around 9:30am Thursday, Oct. 10th. The spawn wasn't under way yet, and the water was holding around 50 degrees, despite night time temps into the 40s. The brookies were off at first, but as the sun came out, so did the fish. My dad and brother fish small streams less than I do, so it took them a while to get their chops, but it was a beautifully wild stream. After about a mile or so of fishing upstream, we reached the Forrest Dutlinger Natural Area trail head. A hike up the side of the mountain would land us right in the middle of virgin timbers. The hike up was brutal. I believe it was a climb of about 700ft in altitude in less than a mile. It took some time for us to get up there as we were in our waders (not the best hiking gear!) and were toting our vests, chest packs, and fly rods. About half way up we dumped all our fishing gear. We figured no one as coming up to take it! When we reached the top, we realized how worth it the hike was. The trees were absolutely stunning. It was a sense of the forest as it once was. My dad said that he heard about these timbers for almost 30 years, but never took the time to find them. He was glad to finally see these trees.

We arrived at Ole Bull around 4:00pm, after a hearty lunch at Debs/Cross Fork Inn, set up camp, then headed to the old 'honey hole' on Kettle Creek. Kettle was just stocked, but oddly enough, the only trout that I caught was a 4" wild brownie.

The next day we decided to hit up Cross Fork. This is a stream I've fished in passing, but never spent the time I felt the stream deserved. The stream would become our main focus for the rest of the trip. We fished three sections of the creek. Friday we fished a middle portion of the stream that was just littered with wild brownies. Some of them were quite significant in size. There was so much good water, every run and pool looked trouty, that fishing was slow because you didn't want to overlook one inch of this stream. Saturday we went to the more popular stretch of Cross Fork. As we were entering the stream at the bridge, some bait chuckers tried to hole jump us and get upstream of us.That didn't work out for them, as we fished a lot faster than they did (and with every cast the one guy was caught in trees), and we soon got up stream of them. It didn't matter anyway. This stretch obviously sees more pressure than other stretches, and didn't fish very well. I knew of another stretch that I fished during the Spring, so we got in the truck and drove upstream several miles, well upstream of the two prior sections we fished. Here, it was all native brookies. The stream goes into a series of splits, and the water can get pretty skinny. It's littered with brookies though, and we all ended up having a double digit day on this stretch.

The weather was great, the scenery was stunning, the fishing was great, and it was a trip that I think the three of us will remember for quite some time. I forgot how much I love this area of my home state. It was, in a way, like going home for us.

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

Great report.. I really enjoy that area. I am sure it is a trip with your family you will remember for years to come.
Bill A

Very nice report and photos. Long to get back up that way. PM sent.

Nice photos...I think that trout was a bit longer than 4" unless you have really small hands. Trips are what you make of them regardless of the/some circumstances....They bring you closer to nature and peacefulness.

Haha! That wasn't the fish I mentioned. The fish in the pic was typical of the natives we were catching from Cross Fork. I really liked the colors on it.

Congrats on a great Plan "B"! Heck that looks better than some of my plan "A" trips... But I digress.

Love that country too Squatchy! glad it all worked out in the end!

Great report. I really like the 3rd image down in post #3. Thanks for the post.

Nice report and pics.

Sounds like a great trip even if you didn't make it to the Smokies. The pictures are great. A trip like that with your dad and your brother must have been very special. It makes me wish my dad enjoyed camping and fishing. Thanks for sharing.

I wish the virgin Hemlocks I've seen looked like that. The ones I've seen have succumb to Hemlock Wooly Adelgid.

It looks like a good trip.

Very nice Squatch. Can't beat a trip like that. I was up that way twice this year, and it just doesn't seem like enough now that the cold is starting to set in. Leaving work and making that drive up 15 is one of the best feelings in the world.

Thanks fellas. It was a great time. One thing it definitely convinced me of is that our NCPA jam next year should DEFINITELY be held in the Fall! The fishing was much better than it was back in April.

Great report and photos. I love that part of the state. I fished cross fork years ago and had a hard time finding wild fish, just stockies. Nelson branch on hammersley is also worth checking out. The hike up to the hemlocks will definitely get your heart pumpin'. The best virgin hemlock i've ever seen is on the black forest trail, over by slate run. I've heard several explanations for the hammersley trees: that they're 1st generation regrowth, they were too small to be worth cutting down during the timber boom, or there was a land dispute. There is always a a back story to the survival of virgin timber. It is certainly awe inspiring to see how majestic and powerful virgin trees are but it also makes you sad to think about all that's been lost. Thanks for sharing!

Yes I think the lower section (see the picture with the foot bridge) is stocked. On our way out, there were like, 4 or 5 guys with TU stickers on their SUVs suiting up getting ready to go for it. This is also where the bait chuckers tried to hole hop us. That was funny. They pulled in, saw us parked there (my mentality on a stream this size is, if there's another vehicle, just keep driving!) and walking to the first hole, and must have thought they could get above us. Maybe they could have if they didn't keep casting into the trees on the far bank haha!

The "middle section" we fished was a good bit upstream of that bridge, and it had tons of wild brownies, and like I said, the upper portion was full of natives. I love that stream. I'm glad I really got to explore it more than I have in the past.

My dad's explanation for the virgin timbers was a land dispute. Who really knows for sure, but it was facinating to see!

Another highlight for my dad was breaking his $25 Eagle Claw glass on Cross Fork and saying, "Well, I always wanted to buy one of Phil's rods!" So we hiked out and went right up to Kettle Creek Tackle where he ended up buying a 7'3" glass rod that Phil built. Phil even threw in free 4wt line for him. Sweet rod! One of the best casting glass rods I've handled. Seems to be a fair trade off, right? Break a $25 rod, replace it with a $400 set up!?

You should have politely told the bait chuckers that Cross Fork, at least in that section, is C&R, artificial lures only. They had no business fishing there.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. I will gladly do that next time! They didn't stay long when they realized we got up stream of them, so no harm-no foul. Snagging trees didn't do too much damage ;-) I should have taken their worms and flushed them down the Potter County Shitter!

Sas,

Great report. Glad you guys had a good trip. For some reason I couldn't open up the pic's. But I was seeing the pictures in my mind as I was reading. I have fished those area's many times and I knew exactly were you guys were at. Cross Fork Creek is one of my favorites. Spent many of days on that water, fishing has always been great. There's another stream not to far away from there that fishes real good in the fall too. If the Fall Jam comes together next year we'll have pay a visit to it. And I'm definitely in for a Fall Jam next year,looking forward to it. Sadly, we just closed our place up there for the winter last weekend. But your story just took me back there. Thanks for sharing you can put that trip in the memory bank.

Back