Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Plan B Trip Review

From West Chester
Great report and photos. I love that part of the state. I fished cross fork years ago and had a hard time finding wild fish, just stockies. Nelson branch on hammersley is also worth checking out. The hike up to the hemlocks will definitely get your heart pumpin'. The best virgin hemlock i've ever seen is on the black forest trail, over by slate run. I've heard several explanations for the hammersley trees: that they're 1st generation regrowth, they were too small to be worth cutting down during the timber boom, or there was a land dispute. There is always a a back story to the survival of virgin timber. It is certainly awe inspiring to see how majestic and powerful virgin trees are but it also makes you sad to think about all that's been lost. Thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2013/11/21 8:36

From Ephrata, PA
Yes I think the lower section (see the picture with the foot bridge) is stocked. On our way out, there were like, 4 or 5 guys with TU stickers on their SUVs suiting up getting ready to go for it. This is also where the bait chuckers tried to hole hop us. That was funny. They pulled in, saw us parked there (my mentality on a stream this size is, if there's another vehicle, just keep driving!) and walking to the first hole, and must have thought they could get above us. Maybe they could have if they didn't keep casting into the trees on the far bank haha!

The "middle section" we fished was a good bit upstream of that bridge, and it had tons of wild brownies, and like I said, the upper portion was full of natives. I love that stream. I'm glad I really got to explore it more than I have in the past.

My dad's explanation for the virgin timbers was a land dispute. Who really knows for sure, but it was facinating to see!

Another highlight for my dad was breaking his $25 Eagle Claw glass on Cross Fork and saying, "Well, I always wanted to buy one of Phil's rods!" So we hiked out and went right up to Kettle Creek Tackle where he ended up buying a 7'3" glass rod that Phil built. Phil even threw in free 4wt line for him. Sweet rod! One of the best casting glass rods I've handled. Seems to be a fair trade off, right? Break a $25 rod, replace it with a $400 set up!?

Posted on: 2013/11/21 8:49

From E-Town and Germania
You should have politely told the bait chuckers that Cross Fork, at least in that section, is C&R, artificial lures only. They had no business fishing there.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 9:01

From Ephrata, PA
Oh really? I didn't realize that. I will gladly do that next time! They didn't stay long when they realized we got up stream of them, so no harm-no foul. Snagging trees didn't do too much damage I should have taken their worms and flushed them down the Potter County Shitter!

Posted on: 2013/11/21 9:05

From Johnstown, Pa
Sas,

Great report. Glad you guys had a good trip. For some reason I couldn't open up the pic's. But I was seeing the pictures in my mind as I was reading. I have fished those area's many times and I knew exactly were you guys were at. Cross Fork Creek is one of my favorites. Spent many of days on that water, fishing has always been great. There's another stream not to far away from there that fishes real good in the fall too. If the Fall Jam comes together next year we'll have pay a visit to it. And I'm definitely in for a Fall Jam next year,looking forward to it. Sadly, we just closed our place up there for the winter last weekend. But your story just took me back there. Thanks for sharing you can put that trip in the memory bank.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 9:41

From Ephrata, PA
Well if the pics don't work, click on my blog (in my signature line) and you can see them!

Posted on: 2013/11/21 10:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com