Places to Fish in and Around Buck

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

My wife wants to go horse camping. I don't horse around but want to fish. Where can I fish in the area around Buck in mid to late August? Is Muddy Res a possibility? Can you use a kayak? Any place accessible on the Susq? Conewago? Just looking for places to cast my fly rod and catch some fish. Thanks in advance.

Lots of nice size bass, catfish and panfish in Muddy Run Lake. The resevoir has lots of fish too as well as some pretty nice size Stiper-Hybrids (big fun on a fly). Not too much for trout fishing down in that area this time of year, that I know of. Yes you can use a kayak on the Lake, but I don't think they allow any watercraft on the resevoir. Also if you keep heading west on RTE 372 past the park entrance, you cross the bridge just below Holtwood Dam. Cross the bridge, and turn right, park in the gravel lot and go down to the Susquehanna River. Very shallow and rocky with good wading, lots of pocket water and a fair number of smallmouth bass. THis area may still be closed to fishing temporarily while they work on the dam, not sure. Also if you turn left after the bridge on 372, you'll be on river road. Follow it for @ 1/2 mile and there is a PFBC boat launch area. Slightly deeper water but still wadable in most areas, lots of big rocks and structure. There are Musky in the river as well and I have heard this is a good area to catch them on BIG streamers!

http://www.muddyrunpark.com/.

http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-holtwood-dam-susquehanna-trails-pa/

You have to pay to use Muddy Run reservoir, even if your craft is registered or you have a launch permit through the PFBC. It's owned by Exelon and I guess they have to make their money somehow. I believe if you are camping there you don't have to pay though.

The WB of the Octorara is probably the best bet for trout fishing near the Buck. There are other places to go (Tucquan, etc.), but for ease of access, the Octorara is probably the way to go.

Perhaps Sal can chime in as I know he has more experience in this neck of the woods than me...

Back