Place to fish

K

KGStine

I'm going to take my 15 year old granddaughter fishing tomorrow, bobbers and worms. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place we can catch some bluegills or bass? We live in Manheim Township, so a location in Lancaster area would be great. Thanks for your help.
Ken

Although it's been awhile since I fished there, I used to catch sunfish by the zillions in the ponds along William Penn Way in the Greenfield Corporate Center off of Greenfield Road.

If access hasn't been restricted, it's a great spot for kids and there are places to grab a bite to eat if the fishing is slow.

I have taken my daughter to memorial lake in Lebanon county and it was all I could do to keep my daughter and wife's lines in the water. They were catching bluegill after bluegill.

KGStine wrote:
I'm going to take my 15 year old granddaughter fishing tomorrow, bobbers and worms. Does anyone have a recommendation for a place we can catch some bluegills or bass? We live in Manheim Township, so a location in Lancaster area would be great. Thanks for your help.
Ken

Not sure about public access ponds or lakes in your area... but warm water rivers, such as the Conestoga, often have lots of small bass and sunfish and are fun places for kid or youth fishing as wading is an option.

I hit the Conestoga within Lancaster Central Park yesterday from 9am to about 3pm. She's running low, slow and dirty. Got 17 to hand in that time and lost 7 or 8 others , all on variations of muddler minnows ( black , white and combinations of orange and olive with natural deer hair color head.) Largest was only 14", the rest smaller down to about 3-4". The smallest got a flying lesson when I set the hook way to hard.

Snavely's Mill pond north east of Lititz. Look Snavely's Mill up on the web. Nice little dam along side of Hammer Creek just outside the village of Lexington. Loaded with Blue Gills.

FiveWeight wrote:
Snavely's Mill pond north east of Lititz. Look Snavely's Mill up on the web. Nice little dam along side of Hammer Creek just outside the village of Lexington. Loaded with Blue Gills.
I haven't been up there since the dam went at the lake but the mill race pond also had bass and carp in it.

Another good option would be the C&R ponds in front of doe run elementary in Manheim.

+1 the C&R ponds beside doe run elementary.

cant go wrong with bass in the Pequea either.

nix the pequea since you're in Township. its a bit of a drive.

conestoga is a better bet

This time of year, don't rule out local "trout streams." Many local stocked streams are empty of trout now but full of small bass and panfish. These streams allow public access, are small scale and fun to wade, and there are usually few if any anglers on them in late summer.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Since it was so warm we decided to wet wade in the Conestoga. Olivia caught fish nonstop. Most were bass, a few fallfish,and one bluegill. Three of the bass were 11 inches and she lost one that was bigger. She probably caught 20 to 25 fish. All were caught with a bobber and night crawlers.

KGStine wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Since it was so warm we decided to wet wade in the Conestoga. Olivia caught fish nonstop. Most were bass, a few fallfish,and one bluegill. Three of the bass were 11 inches and she lost one that was bigger. She probably caught 20 to 25 fish. All were caught with a bobber and night crawlers.

Great to hear - glad your online fishing buddies around here could be of help.

Where is a good stretch to look for with decent access on the Pequea? I've been trying my usual bass tactics (unfortunately not on the fly) but I would like to try my hand at bassin' with a fly rod. My family has a camp at Pequea Creek Campground and we are looking for good stretches in that area to fish. Perhaps they want flies instead of big tubes and spinnerbaits.

Back