Pictures: fly in or out?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Do you remove the hook before or after taking pictures?
I've noticed plenty of pictures here and other places. Some include the fly and others don't. I'm curious about why you do things in the order you do.

Most of the time I remove the fly, this way the fish doesn't swim around in the net and get all tangled up while I'm fumbling around with my camera. A net really helps for photographing fish, and getting the line and fly(s) out of the way just makes things easier.

When I don't have my net I still often remove the hook first, so if the fish isn't cooperative it can swim away without taking my rig with it. But sometimes I leave it in, especially with smaller fish.

I do a lot of photography on the stream. For me it depends on the fly I'm using. Dries and nymphs I almost always take it out. With streamers, unless it was inhaled, I usually keep it in... I just think pictures look cool when a trout has meat hanging out of its mouth.

Agree with the net comment above - allows me to keep the fish in the water while I get the camera out of my bag.

I don't take very many pictures anymore, but I like to remove the hook first. To me, if the fish get away without a picture, oh well; I don't want to have to fight the fish twice.

As long as the fish is in the water, take the pic whatever way you prefer. I think people take too many pics of average fish anyways. Don't risk the welfare of the fish for a picture. If you think handling fish out of the water is not harmful to them, you are only kidding yourself. What's more important, the trout or your picture?

A net is fish friendly but I rarely carry one.

Perhaps my stream good heart or projects negates my few trout pics.

Do not photo the vast majority of the fish I catch.

posted about the modern day creel (fish pictures) many times versus the old days. Take us or leave us " we be here."

Your few brookie pics in a wet hand are okay, I'm talking about the ones lifeless on the bank, and some people seem to like to photograph every single fish they land, big, small or in between. BTW that is a beautiful brookie worthy of a photo.

Depends on the fly and where the fish took it. I like pictures both ways. I do enjoy taking photos of fish, unfortunately it never seems to capture the way it looks in person.

Most of the time the fly is still in when I take my pics. But I don't take pics of every fish.

I typically take the fly out. Unless it's a big old streamer and fish. Usually just trying to get them back to their haunts as quickly and stress free as possible.

Land fish. Hold it in front of me, push button on gopro strapped to my chest, remove hook and release fish at the same time. Sometimes I remove the hook first too though. Either way it's out and back in within a few seconds. If for some reason I want a few extra pics of a special fish, or want to shoot a release video, I keep the fish in the net under water with the hook removed while I fiddle with the camera. Then get done what needs done and release. Always wet a hand and be quick as possible. I have caught at least 3 wild browns this past year twice, handling them with this technique. I have pictures of each both times. Probably more than that, but thats how many I can be sure of.

Do whats easy and fast for you.

I would much rather take pics. of the stream and\or someone hooked up. Too many take pics of every fish they catch. A quick release back to the water is the key.

I read the subject line and said ... what the ...?

Then I realized you are talking about a different fly.;-)

Sorry, I almost never carry a camera (or cel phone) when fishing. But I can say that I usually take the hook out right away. That is, if it doesn't fall out on it's own which actually does happen very often.

Never took a picture as they are only pea brained fish out of the water.

For stream trout, I'll either net it if it's big then get the camera ready, take the hook out, take a picture, and release. If it's a smaller fish then I'll pick it up, pop out the hook, take a picture and release it. If I'm up at Lake Erie and I just caught a 18 pound Laker, I'll net it, take the hook out, get a length measurement, possibly weigh it in the net if it's a girthy one, take a picture, then torpedo it back in (Lakers may be sensitive to water temp and quality but those fish are tanks and can take being handled extensively if not out of the water too long).

pete41 wrote:
Never took a picture as they are only pea brained fish out of the water and didn't improve the taste.

There, fixed that for you, Neanderthal!

Generally if I'm going to take a picture, I do not remove the fly. Fish in water while I get the camera ready as quickly as possible. Lift fish, snap, fish back in water. Put down camera, take hook out of fish, release.

On smaller fish I try not to even touch the fish. I grab the fly and use that to manipulate the fish.

The few times I take pictures I remove the fly after taking the picture. That way I have the fly in the picture which I think makes for a better photo.

Back