Pennypack Creek SE PA

S

steve98

Hello All,

I live within walking distance of the PP lower section near the Delaware River. This section of the PP is not real pretty. But the PFBC does stock this stream in an area from Frankford ave (RTE 13) up stream to where-ever. I rarely fish the PP even in the Spring when it gets a regular stocking,but I do like to walk the trail that runs along the PP starting at RT13. Recently I have noticed what appears to be stream improvement work done by TU. Does anyone know of any kind of POSSIBLE stream improvement work being done by TU in this area?

Steve98

howdy steve98,i grew up around there.

the stream improvements,most notably the dam removals,were not done just by TU.it is an ongoing group effort by the DEP(cathleen Mcginty sec.),the fairmount park commission,DCNR.i believe tom witmer is head of natural lands reclamation,and can probably be reached through fairmountpark.org .i would imagine local groups such as the friends of the pennypack would also be involved.and of course,TU.

please understand that i do not have any authoritative knowledge on this information and could be wrong about some points.

also from what i understand,some local historians did not want the dams removed because of industry history.

i would imagine that even if they remove dams from further upstream it will take years for the penny pack to cut a deeper channel.

I attended my first SE PA TU meeting on Tues, and the group is working hard on improving the Pennypack. Over the last few years they've done lots of work in Lorimer Park. Now the focus is shifting to the headwaters in the Horsham area. This month we will be planting trees near the stream banks. Long term, the plan is to dramatically reduce runoff, improving water quality.

I know this isn't the area you're talking about, but these projects would improve the entire stream.

There have been three habitat projects in the lower stretch of the Pennypack....removal of Frankford and Rhawn Street Dams as well as the creation of a rock ramp fish passage facility over a large water dept. pipe that, in effect, was acting like a dam with respect to the blockage of fish passage. Some of the aforementioned groups were players in these projects, as were the Phila Water Dept and the PFBC.

Back