Penns Creek Green Drakes

T

Troy

Happy Monday Everyone,
Actually, Mondays are never happy unless you aren't working. Anyway, I'm heading to Penns over Memorial Day and was wondering if I have a chance of hitting the Green Drakes? I didn't plan the trip for Green Drakes, but it's kind of looking like I might hit it. Do I have a chance? If not, I guess I might have a chance at Fishing Creek. I never fished for them at Penns so I don't really know the hatch times. I did a little research and I think I might hit them, but I was just curious what other people think who try to hit them every year. Thanks!

Troy

Yes, you stand a decent chance of catching them. Usually thats a likely time, maybe a touch early. This year, so far, everything's early.

Beyond that, my crystal ball doesn't seem to be working.

Memorial Day weekend, Penns will be packed with Green Drake enthusiasts, though. Its looking like I may be among them...

pcray1231,
I know its definitley hard to tell when they are going to hatch, but I just wanted to know if I have a chance. I'm sure Penns is going to have a ridiculous amount of pressure, but I'm going for it anyway.

Troy

I think there's a good chance that they'll be on the weekend of the jamboree - the 22nd and 23rd. I once hit hit them there as early as May 15th .
So , yes I'd be prepared to fish them memorial day weekend.
And hope for rain. It definitely won't be as crowded then.

if you like nymphing, bring alot of green drake nymphs with you.

It's best to try to hit it during the week If you can but It's still packed. I found water last year without alot of people but the hatch was more spread out last year and they were eating alot of different bugs.

Fishing Creek did better for me in GD last year was not near as many guys over there but also they were eating alot of different things.

I was at Penns last year for the Drakes. Like any other stream that sees a good bit of pressure, look for ways to access the creek away from major parking areas and/or walk 30 minutes away before trying to fish. You will be able to find a place to fish, but you will have to have your best courteous manner about you and also your tolerance for discourteous behavior. 90% of the people there will think your presence is crowding them and will resent you. The other 10% should be you.

this may sound uneducated but how soon before the hatch do the nymphs usually get active?

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Troy

I hope we will see some Green Drakes on the Penn at the Jam time.

March Browns are nothing to sneeze at and they will be underway if drakes are not early. I think we will be hitting it just right with MB and sulfurs dominating the scene. A magical mix of rain and clouds can make for a magical time as well as potentially crowded waters, notwithstanding the pressure we will be adding to the area when all these good folks descend on Hemlock.

"I think we will be hitting it just right with MB and sulfurs dominating the scene. A magical mix of rain and clouds can make for a magical time"

I'm headed up there Thu, Fri Sat this week, forecast is for rain and clouds! Tell me more, i have never fished over march browns, just sulfurs and its been later in may and warmer...

The fish don't care for clear skies or clear water. A slight stain, but clearing and overcast skies is about the best you can hope for in catching a nice hatch with willing fish. Good luck.

i would probably be fishing sulfur or march brown nymphs if i was there and nothing was rising or coming off the water , to start off with , then if no good switch to green drake nymphs

I suspect that I will see at least a smattering of drakes. I have a plan to find them.

I've read that the Green Drake nymphs are active for a week or more before the hatch, so we are likely to have active nymphs at the jam even if we don't have the dries. How do you all fish this nymph? I understand this is a burrowing nymph that needs silt or sand. Do you fish the nymphs in slower pools or are they effective in riffles? Fish it near the bottom? Dead drift?

Ive never been that crazy about the GD hatch, to many people, to many flies on the water, with all the flies on the water whats the chance of them taking my fly, so many flies!

If you have never seen it, your in for a treat. I have fished it on BFC and yellow creek, which I thought was much better fishing.

My biggest problem is wading penns anymore, if the water is high and I can't get to where the fish are, I'll probably not even fish penns.

PaulG

Troy I hope we catch the GD hatch on the Ausable in about a month! I didn't know you were goin back up to Penns? Good luck bro! :)

We have a little pool going at Jonas's...we threw in a buck each for the date of the first confirmed drake hatch on Penns. I think the earliest date was 5/20, I know I had 5/26. But if this happens during that date range, then it'll be starting at the lower end of Penns, below the C&R.

Also, when the shop wasn't busy, we'd be betting on the color of the next car to drive down the street in front of his shop. A buck each.
John

anyone know what it looks like after rain, heading up tomorrow...

Back