Paragraphs and Commas

D

dsleader

Here's on vote for an increase in the use of paragraphs and commas on this site.

I'm not trying to start a grammatical revolution or anything, but am I the only one that has trouble reading those 500 word essays? Hitting "enter" once in a while sure would make it easier to get one's point across to more people. It's like tying a size 26 midge.

I unfortunately skip over some of those "blocks of words". Again, am I the only one?

D

No, you are not alone and while I sometimes don't do it at the grammatically correct time I sometimes try to divide up longer posts by spacing them. Its a good suggestion/request if you are having trouble following/reading some longer posts...I sometimes skip the really long continuous ones for the same reasons.

I refer to this very often. I admit I am guilty. I do use this when composing emails / communications at work. Ya gotta know the rules before you can break'em ;-)

http://www.bartleby.com/141

I
am
sure
I
am
occasionally
guilty
of
this
as
well;
I
will
practice
using
the
enter
button
more
often.

youare a bunchof geeks!

This is a recreational board. I believe that the majority of us are conscientious about our communicative styles but lets not become correcty correctersons.

Hey I just learned where the caps key is to change to lower case.

I'm a huge grammar nerd. I make it a point to turn that off to an extent when I post, and read others' posts.

Whitespace is nice for those of us who have not so good eyes.

As for commas, I use them too often as is.

Either way, it doesn't bother me much.

ryanh wrote:
but lets not become correcty correctersons.

That might be the best use ever of the blankety blankerson name!
Awesome!

Boyer

I have to admit, I am not a good typist, but I know where some of the keys are and I can hit them really fast. Because I look at the keys and not the screen, Sometimes my intial posts are off by an octive. Then I go back and proof read and edit several times. One of the benefits of being a modertor. :lol: I still leave some words or fragments alone if I am too lazy to hit the edit button again.

Anywho... I like to think that someones posting style is as close as we can get to ones character on line. For instance, not to insult but one that comes to mind is Flybinder. I find his over-use of quotation marks unique. When I read it I can see his, I can see this guy in my minds eye holding both hands up clutching the air with his middle and forefingers. Over and over again.

Another or several that come to mind are the no-caps posters. It reminds me of a young text messaging junkie. rarely using punctuation. I learned this is not always the case when I met BigSeth at the Jam. :lol:

I remember once after seeing someone use a word out of context about 6 times in a post I thought I would help out by correcting them in a private email. You shoulda seen the words that came back. We could have analysed those sentences for days.

Hey, we all didn't excel in the language arts in school, Who cares as long as the message is there. People are who they are and most don't want to be told how to act and what to do.

Its tough to be one who loves to help around people who don't want it. Its a cross we have to bear sometimes.

ryanh wrote:
youare a bunchof geeks!

This is a recreational board. I believe that the majority of us are conscientious about our communicative styles but lets not become correcty correctersons.

ithinktheposterwastryingtobeclearthathewasn'ttryingtobeovertheto
pabouthiscriticismsimplypointingouthtatacasualrespectforthebasics
ofgrammarwouldhelpeveryonegetthepointofwhatapostissupposedto
beabout

The best part about large blocks of text with no whitespace:

Using them like a rorschach test. One time, I saw a sailboat! Wonder what that says about me?

Just to be clear, without backing down from my original post - I am not calling anyone out on their education, or lack thereof, :-D but merely saying that your message may not be getting to the audience you intend because it's too difficult to read. Style is great, but just hit that "enter" key once in a while.

Damn, now that I started this thread, I need to proof my posts about 4 times, so as not to be a hypocrite.

D

>>The best part about large blocks of text with no whitespace:

Using them like a rorschach test. One time, I saw a sailboat! Wonder what that says about me?>>

It depends whether you saw the sailboat moving towards or away from you. In the former case, it usually indicates Anemophobia, a fear of wind. In the latter case, it usually means you're tired of windy people who use insufficient paragraph breaks.

Although, if the sails on the boat you are seeing exhibit rounded corners that look elasticized, it probably means changing the bed is on your mind.

And that of course is less serious than Anemophobia...

"ithinktheposterwastryingtobeclearthathewasn'ttryingtobeovertheto
pabouthiscriticismsimplypointingouthtatacasualrespectforthebasics
ofgrammarwouldhelpeveryonegetthepointofwhatapostissupposedto
beabout"

Pad,
I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

I don't care what none of you say. I aint gonna change my writing style none.

some of us just don't type well.

I try very hard to get it right, and I'm not the best at grammar or typing. Just because it is a message board doesn't mean you should't type and check your typing and use the best grammer. Anyway if I see a long post that doesn't at least have paragraphs, I'm not going to read it.
Trust me I'm not a grammer geek, not even a computer geek though that is my field of work. I just enjoy reading, and I like to read items that are READABLE.
Don't care much about the spelling, except for words that are obviously misspelled; however, if I type a long message I use the spell check in word.

This board is actually well above average on this issue, IMHO. Breaking up long winded posts like I like to write hopefully helps get my point across.

Jack,
Thanks, but you missed another. See what I mean about typing and spelling. BTW typing wasn't required when I went to school.

Back