Palomino trout

Solitariolupo

Solitariolupo

So what are your top favorite flies for catching those golden rainbows. I plan on chasing a couple this year.

Herons
Eagles
Catch and Keep Anglers

Minnows, eggs or worms.

Yep, they are like swimming fast food billboards ("EAT ME!"). :)

They are just really oddly colored rainbow trout. I don't think there are any special flies or techniques needed for them. I suggest subsurface flies that look like eggs or have orange hot spots.

This page is interesting: https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/fly-fishing-tips-for-stocked-trout/

What they said.

If you see one, it likely wasn't in the stream very long so hasn't figured out how trout are supposed to act.

Thanks for the replies so far. I’ve gotten a couple to chase the fly but they never seen to wanna crush it. I’m thinking maybe a smaller tippet.

Or a larger tippet with the right junk fly.

Bead head or crappie jig tipped with powerbait. Gets them every time. I call it flourescent hackle.

I caught the biggest palomino of my life (21") this past November in one of my favorite medium size stocked/wild streams in the NW. He'd been there, in the same pool since the first stocking in March and every couple of weeks or so, I'd drift a bunch of different flies past him to no avail. He always just moved a few feet one way or the other to try to avoid additional harassment.

In November, I ran a #1 Mepps Aglia with a fluorescent moon white blade past him and he ate it first time. So, I took him home and ate him. I sort of wish I hadn't; he tasted about the same as I imagine the Cabela's catalog would taste if I broiled it. But, better me than a heron, I guess or just having him go belly up over the Winter.

Anyway, that moon white Aglia is a killer. I'm not sure it should be legal to use...

Velveeta.

i generally ignore palominos.

they have everyone else chasing them.

Anything bright, colorful or absurd.

RLeep2 wrote:

So, I took him home and ate him. I sort of wish I hadn't; he tasted about the same as I imagine the Cabela's catalog would taste if I broiled it. But, better me than a heron, I guess or just having him go belly up over the Winter.

Probably not as tough though.

You should have let the heron eat it, and then ate the heron.

fly_flinger wrote:
Herons
Eagles
Catch and Keep Anglers

Lol, this cracks me up. I've found those "golden rainbows" far up unstocked class A streams almost a full year after stockings so somehow they survive the onslaught of ospreys, eagles, etc..

I don't care if I ever catch one of those again. And I haven't caught one in a long, long time.

shakey wrote:
i generally ignore palominos.

they have everyone else chasing them.

I usually do the same but I’ve been seeing them in my favorite holes with no one in site. All they do is chase or move away from my flies but I like the challenge in trying to get them.

RL2 -- Shame on you: a spinner on a fly-fishing site! ;-)

Of note: I have caught only a couple of these in my lifetime, the best 20". But, a couple years ago in June, I found one about that size on a wild trout stream. Using flies, I tried into the fall to catch him, after having missed him twice the first time I saw him. I could never get him to bite again. He finally disappeared in the early autumn, having bested me quite a few times. I'm really not sure what this says about my fly-fishing ability or disability. Anyhow, I couldn't catch him.

They might not get much lovin' from the wild trout crowd, but golden rainbows aren't as dumb as some make them out to be. They definitely have a mark against them due to their color, which makes them easier picking for predators - a hole I used to fish on Kinzua usually got three or four of them preseason, but the last few years I fished it, it was devoid of goldens. A steady stream of ospreys and bald eagles soaring up and down the valley may have helped that population situation. Anyway, I've walked past holes after the season started, in which people claimed the goldens were fished out. Wait a bit, and you'll sometimes find that there are one or two tucked up underneath a rootball, or overhanging shrub. I've encountered this on multiple streams, sometimes later than not in the season. They get acclimated to the stream pretty quick, as they receive a disproportionate amount of hooking attempts by anglers. When it comes down to it, they're just bright stocked trout. Use whatever you use for your other stockers.

jifigz wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:
Herons
Eagles
Catch and Keep Anglers

Lol, this cracks me up. I've found those "golden rainbows" far up unstocked class A streams almost a full year after stockings so somehow they survive the onslaught of ospreys, eagles, etc..

I don't care if I ever catch one of those again. And I haven't caught one in a long, long time.

Yea, The first one I caught was way back in the 80s from a lake in Connecticut. Me and a friend were slow trolling various things for whatever would bite. However, we did know the lake had very recently been stocked with trout. I had switched to a night crawler. Imagine my surprise when I pulled in a golden rainbow that was over a foot long. At first I though I had snagged a rag. We caught lots of fish that day, but just that one trout.

If I have caught any since, I don't remember them or maybe I chose not to admit it. ;-)

But you did kind of contradict yourself. You said you had "found" them (meaning more than one) far up unstocked class A "streams" (meaning far up more than one of these streams) almost a full year after stockings? When you "found" them, were they dead? ;-)

Seriously though. Just because the "official" spring stocking season is over, doesn't mean that no trout are stocked after that point. Clubs, and bucket biologists move fish around.

That said, it can happen. If they do survive the first week or two, they are harder to catch (what sal said), and if they can find cover, there is no reason they can't survive for a fairly long time.

I suppose if they are going to survive while having a yellow and red eat-me sign on their sides, best chance would be in a class A where they might have a deep hole and some cover and can find enough food by accident to survive. But multiple fish and way up multiple streams?

Or maybe they were wild. :lol:

>>RL2 -- Shame on you: a spinner on a fly-fishing site!>>

Hells Bells, RT.. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Although I'm probably a 98% fly angler, I'm reverting a little in the Autumn of my years. Got a crawler farm in the basement for walleye rigs and stillfishing for perch and a newly refurbished tackle box full of smallmouth size Big O's and Rebel Crayfish. I'm back eating some of the fish I catch. Just not wild trout or bass and certainly not palominos (never again..) or carp or most catfish.

Other than that, I'm getting a little bit like Prince Philip once said of the Chinese in a major foot in mouth moment (he's had many..): "If it swims and isn't a submarine, the Chinese will eat it".

Sorry for the temporary thread hijacking...:)

FarmerDave wrote:

Yea, The first one I caught was way back in the 80s from a lake in Connecticut. Me and a friend were slow trolling various things for whatever would bite. However, we did know the lake had very recently been stocked with trout. I had switched to a night crawler. Imagine my surprise when I pulled in a golden rainbow that was over a foot long. At first I though I had snagged a rag. We caught lots of fish that day, but just that one trout.

If I have caught any since, I don't remember them or maybe I chose not to admit it. ;-)

But you did kind of contradict yourself. You said you had "found" them (meaning more than one) far up unstocked class A "streams" (meaning far up more than one of these streams) almost a full year after stockings? When you "found" them, were they dead? ;-)

Seriously though. Just because the "official" spring stocking season is over, doesn't mean that no trout are stocked after that point. Clubs, and bucket biologists move fish around.

That said, it can happen. If they do survive the first week or two, they are harder to catch (what sal said), and if they can find cover, there is no reason they can't survive for a fairly long time.

I suppose if they are going to survive while having a yellow and red eat-me sign on their sides, best chance would be in a class A where they might have a deep hole and some cover and can find enough food by accident to survive. But multiple fish and way up multiple streams?

Or maybe they were wild. :lol:
The ones I’ve been chasing are definitely stocked but they have been in there all summer then in fall they seem to disappear with the rest of the trout. This is the second year I saw this.

Back