Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

PLBs for Fishing Alone

From Pgh
The thread below about fishing alone got me thinking about Personal Locator Beacons.

Does anybody here use them? They can be pricey. The cheapest I found is around $250. Many have monthly fees, too. But I also see a Smart Phone App that can transmit out of cell range for about $120.

I figure they might give a bit of piece of mind when out in the middle of nowhere and could very well save your life. That considered, a few C notes is a small price to pay.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:05

Re: PLBs for Fishing Alone

Never heard of one. But, not having or wanting a cell phone, I don't imagine one would do me any good.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:09

From Lancaster County
How exactly does the smart-phone app work if it's out of cell phone range? Wireless connections on a smart-phone are:
1) cellular
2) wi-fi
3) Bluetooth
4) and device maybe NFC enabled
5) GPS (receiver only)

If out of cell range, definitely 1 and probably 2 are not options and 3 and 4 are near field communications only.

Just curious how the app developer is making this work.. Or is there an external device the app interfaces with?

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:46

Edited by salmonoid on 2013/7/11 17:07:32

I fish remote areas and have acr microfix 406 mhz beacon w fed registration. I am no expert but as of purchase a few years back I felt that it was a good last ditch device. people who fish remote areas need gear and caution / stay within own limits / IMHO plus telling someone plans and return time. beacons are too serious a subject for me to say more from limited info. you might Google 406 MHz and find stuff there.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:52

From Pgh
rrt,
You can get PLB as separate unit from your cell. They send a SOS beacon via GPS to a satellite. You can be anyplace on earth. Notifies authorities. You just need a relatively clear overhead to send.

There is a phone APP, one that works in tandem with a Smart Phone.

Here's an PLB overview that explains them.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 17:14

From NE OH
I use SPOT. Does have a monthly fee. Worked in AK and Northern Canada. Also allows you to send preprogrammed messages to phones and emails.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Posted on: 2013/7/11 17:51

Wife and daughter in law found what is called 5star urgent response at wal mart. It cost about $40.00 and has a $14.00 a month charge. It puts you in voice contact with 911 operator and stays with you until help arrives. It also has a locator so they can see where you are. I still don't think I will venture too far though.I was less than an hour from checking out.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:07

From Lititz/Huntingdon
All valid contingencies for safety in the wilds but, how in the world did Daniel Boone ever make it from here to Kentucky or any of us ever survive without seatbelts, etc. Yes I know that it's called progress but these are things never even crossed ones mind back even 30 years ago. Yep, do what you need to do to feel safe out there but lets try not to turn what is supposed to be a natural day of fishing into a science project.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

five weight; It may be macho without but if you have a massive coronary like me, macho becomes secondary. If I had my attack in the creek 15 min prior they would not have found me in time. And I would be fishing in the happy fishing grounds now.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:49

From Pgh
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
How exactly does the smart-phone app work if it's out of cell phone range? Wireless connections on a smart-phone are:
1) cellular
2) wi-fi
3) Bluetooth
4) and device maybe NFC enabled
5) GPS (receiver only)

If out of cell range, definitely 1 and probably 2 are not options and 3 and 4 are near field communications only.

Just curious how the app developer is making this work.. Or is there an external device the app interfaces with?

There is an external device. I'm actually considering this one.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 21:40

From Wrightsville
I always tell my wife where I'll be fishing for the day. When I get home, she always asks where I was.

I don't recommend this method.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 23:36

From Pgh
Quote:

barrybarry wrote:
I always tell my wife where I'll be fishing for the day. When I get home, she always asks where I was.

I don't recommend this method.

LOL!

Posted on: 2013/7/12 6:39

From Ohio
Cellphones still have GPS contact when completely out of cell service. I’ve actually been able to watch the blue dot on my iphone progress along as I walked through a remote state game lands area. It helped me navigate for a while until I walked off the map. Once you go off the map that had loaded while you had cell reception, the map turns into a grey grid and you can’t tell where you’re at, but the phone is still in contact with GPS satellites and the blue dot continues to move across the grid.

I fish alone in remote places often. I always send an email or leave a note for my wife so there is a written record of where I'll be and when I'll be home. If I move from one place to another, I send a text or call her while I’m in transit. I’ve almost always been able to get cell reception while in transit, even in the ANF.

I've looked into the spot device PatrickC mentioned, but some of the reviews on the device were not so good. It seems the messages were not received some of the time and it does not work in dense forest (based on reviews on Cabelas website). I have not been able to convince myself to spend the money on a device that may not work. Glad to hear that PatrickC has had a good experience with the the Spot device, I may reconsider now.

The goal is to go fishing, be safe, come home, and go fishing again.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 7:24

From Mont Co, Pa
All cell phones have a "location setting" which needs to be turned on by the user. This supposedly can still give your location regardless of cell phone towers in the area? It works by giving "pings" as to your location. I really don't know how well this works, but this is what I have read. I do know my "location" option is set on my cell phone in the event it does work. lol

Posted on: 2013/7/12 8:32

yes some but not all cell phones will give a location on a map using satellites not cell tower service. if your phone works that way, then an application with topo maps might be a good thing to have. try the map sometime when you have no bars.

second, since the subject is safety and fishing alone, a fishing partner can make things safer or not. a person who gets lost, doesn't act on weather issues, or otherwise gets themselves in trouble, can get you in trouble. I won't go into it here, but I have actually been in the situation of trying to get help to someone hurt in a remote area, no phone service etc. no fun, and people do sometimes get hurt in water and hiking when trying to help people in trouble. I fully recognize that I could get hurt fishing on any trip but being out there with someone too far over the edge IMHO does not enhance anyone's safety

Posted on: 2013/7/12 8:41

Edited by k-bob on 2013/7/12 9:08:36

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com