Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

PFBC Mentored Youth Program 3/22/14

From Couldn't Care Less
PFBC Mentored Youth Program

I have a 6 year old (turns 6 3/18) and I'm planning on taking him as there are a few locations within an hr drive for me.

Anyone ever do this with their child or grandchild and is it worthwhile?

Posted on: 3/6 7:21

Edited by Stagger_Lee on 2014/3/6 7:52:14

Re: PFBC Mentored Youth Program 3/22/14

I took my daughters last year. Aside form it being cold, it was OK. I was appalled with how many adults were fishing while their kids were running around behind them.

I'd like to see them change the regs to allow adults to bait hooks and cast, but leave the rest up to the kids.

If the weather cooperates, we'll try again this year in Boiling Springs. If the lake is a bust, I'll just take the girls down to the Run.

Posted on: 3/6 7:57

From Hanover, PA
I went along with my friend and his two sons to Children's lake in Boiling Springs. We adults spent time baiting hooks, untangling lines, and did more mentoring than fishing. While we did have our gear, most of the time we would hand it off to one of the boys while we were rigging their rods, line, bait. I, too, would like to see it changed to adults helping, not fishing. I agree, mattofcarlisle, the number of adults fishing while their kids were not and taking fish was unreal. Yes, my friend and I fished and did catch fish, but not before making sure the boys had fun. We even helped out a Dad and daughter who had caught nothing for hours. Rigged her up with what we were using and she caught her 2 trout. Officers were present but did not ever ask to see permits. All in all, a fun day with young fisherman.

Posted on: 3/6 11:38

From Lock Haven, PA
I for one am not a fan of these mentor programs. Not saying everyone abuses them but I know a fair share of the hunting mentor programs are. Plus I feel its a good way to burn someone out in the sport by starting them too young and just a way for the adults to get more meat in the freezer.

Posted on: 3/6 12:47

From Newville, PA
I took a niece and 2 nephews last year. Cold, but they had a blast even if the fish we less than cooperative. We are all looking forward to doing it again.

I agree with BigJohn in that I saw a number of adults doing most of the fishing. Perhaps an age restriction would be appropriate, because bringing 2 and 3 year olds is just an excuse to get an early start on filling the freezer.

Posted on: 3/6 20:50

From Glen Rock, PA
I took my son to the one in Lancaster last year. Conditions were pretty cold and nobody was catching anything. (can't do anything about that). In my opinion there were just too many people trying to fish on top of each other. I spent my time helping my son bait hooks and cast, while trying not to catch a hook from one of the many kids running around casting wildly. Helping kids untangle lines after they casted over multiple lines in one shot lol.That's just my experience from one location. I really liked the idea of this, but I won't be attending this year. If last year was considered a beta test, I might give it a year or two and try again.

Posted on: 3/7 0:51

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
my little cousin wanted to fish when we were in Saratoga springs last summer. picked up a ugly stick at walmart and some rooster tails. didn't expect much from the stream but we did well. caught a few fish and from the looks the seemed to be wild. she hasn't stop asking if we can go fishing again. I think for little guys id stick with spinning tackle. wait till they show an interest in picking up the long rod.

Posted on: 3/7 2:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com