PFBC Map Overlays

theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

I was just at the usually helpful PASDA site looking for a map overlay of streams that support natural reproduction and instead of the usual display of thousands of blue squiggly lines there were half a dozen or so black dots. Anyone use the site and encounter this? Here's the link:
http://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/SearchResults.aspx?originator=Pennsylvania%20Fish%20and%20Boat%20Commission&Keyword=&searchType=originator&entry=PASDA&sessionID=9845525122014928153926

I believe someone must be playing an early April's Fool Day joke. Those black dots are hatcheries. :)

If you use the preview link from the dataset itself, it shows the hatcheries. If you bring the base map up and choose Wildlife -> Trout Natural Reproduction as the layer, it shows the Nat Repro list.

Where do I find the base map?

pasda; online mapping tab; pennsylvania atlas; show layers (upper right); wildlife; check box for nat repro trout...

I sometimes have to repeat steps 1-3...

k-bob wrote:
pasda; online mapping tab; pennsylvania atlas; show layers (upper right); wildlife; check box for nat repro trout...

I sometimes have to repeat steps 1-3...

Did that ^

Doesn't work for me anymore either. The streams have disappeared on Natural Reproduction Map. Only dots marking each hatchery remain.

Edit: The Natty Rep streams now come up under the "stocked streams" overlay here.

the steps in post 4 are working for me, who knows?

k-bob wrote:
the steps in post 4 are working for me, who knows?

When you click on my link and look at the overlay, doesn't say "Trout Stocked Streams" but displays Nat Rep Trout streams?

K-bob's directions worked for me also.

I noticed something interesting, though. North of Milesburg, but south of Renovo, about halfway in between, near the Clinton/Centre Cty lines, north of Orviston, south of Rt. 144, it shows a lake labeled "Healing Lake."

There is no lake at that location.

I wonder how that happens. Any GIS wonks have any ideas?

Geographers and cartographers have a saying: "The map is not the landscape."

Thanks K-Bob, followed your steps and got what I needed.

Troutbert,

The issue with the lake is also present on BINGs mapping tool as well. This would lead me to believe there is an error with where ever they sourced the base layer from. There is definitely no lake there. Very interesting find though.

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
Troutbert,

The issue with the lake is also present on BINGs mapping tool as well. This would lead me to believe there is an error with where ever they sourced the base layer from. There is definitely no lake there. Very interesting find though.

There definitely is no lake there. I've been to that place!

I looked at Bing maps, and sure enough there's "Healing Lake."

Maybe some bore tech employee put that in there.

But also, some mapping companies put in intentional errors here and there to catch people who steal and reproduce their work.

That might be the most likely explanation.

interesting TB

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2014/03/18/290236647/an-imaginary-town-becomes-real-then-not-true-story

k-bob wrote:
interesting TB

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2014/03/18/290236647/an-imaginary-town-becomes-real-then-not-true-story

Wow, that's an amazing story.

troutbert wrote:
K-bob's directions worked for me also.

I noticed something interesting, though. North of Milesburg, but south of Renovo, about halfway in between, near the Clinton/Centre Cty lines, north of Orviston, south of Rt. 144, it shows a lake labeled "Healing Lake."

There is no lake at that location.

I wonder how that happens. Any GIS wonks have any ideas?

Geographers and cartographers have a saying: "The map is not the landscape."

Back in the print map days, cartographers would from time to time insert bogus data into their maps (towns, streams, etc.). If the fake data showed up on a competitor's map, the original cartographer would know that their map was being copied.

Edit: Basically a summary of what K-bob's article link said. Sorry - hadn't read that yet.

I heard one time the PFBC designated a stream natural reproduction where there wasn't one. Later people found stream bred trout in it...

Back