PAFF Jam '09?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Any ideas on the '09 jam - like when and where, and I guess if? Some guys have to pick vacation weeks well in advance. Any thoughts?

I'm good for sulphur time in Coburn again.

A distant second choice would be the D.

The northcentral area of the state in May/June is always a good choice and roughly equidistant for folks around the state. Maybe for this year, try the Harrisburg area. This would be a bit closer for the SE folks and offers good access to Clarks, Manada, Cumberland Valley etc.

Plus there is all the good warm water rivers nearby. :)

Actually the when? right now is probably more important than the where?

Memorial Day is early this year, on the 25th. We are probably looking at the week of May 17th or 31st. I like the 17th. The water has a better chance of being low with the later date, and the green drake hatch brings FFers out of the woodwork in central PA.

The weekend ending Sunday May 17 works best for me. I have a meeting in Floriday over the weekend ending Sunday May 31.

We should probably start another thread with a poll for the weekend.

Funny, I was just thinking on this today too. The where goes hand-in-hand with the when. We need to make sure we can get good accomodations at a campground on the chosen weekend. I favor Central PA and will help plan one there. May 17th weekend seems good for me, but I'd make myself available whenever it is set.

Not to seem harsh or rehash old wounds, but if you want to choose the location and date, you should be fully committed to attending.

JackM wrote:

Not to seem harsh or rehash old wounds, but if you want to choose the location and date, you should be fully committed to attending.

Yes, even if you die or come down with Pneumonia.

Death is a sufficient excuse. Pneumonia is a close call, but I can say with certainty that bronchitis will not hold up to public scrutiny.

For the record....I will attend Coburn but would prefer upstate.

Sometime we will hit Pine or Penns when it isn't in the bushes.

I would love to come and fish the central part of the state with all you seasoned vets out there that I only talk to on this site. I mainly fish the western part of the state where I live, but with enough notice, may be able to entice the boss to let me go away for a few days. I've wanted to travel a bit to fish since I got addicted to fly fishing, but a tight leash has been the curse to that dream. And from old posts.... if I come, I'll bring my rain gear :)

I'd do pine for the drakes again, but that water was awfully warm.

I vote for Pine

I'm not ready to head all the way to the top of Pine again yet. I would vote Coburn again or what was that jam you had about 5 years ago at the Slate and Cedar? I missed that one. Both Pine and Cedar are about an hour past our camp. Coburn is a little over 2 hours from here. Has a lot more places to fish in a smaller area. And the cabins are nice than the "trailers" at Pine. Not sure what accommodations are available at Cedar...Any other thougths?

I'm going to try to make it this year wherever we go. If it would be at petticoat it would be much closer to the area on Pine that I am familiar with, so I could help people that aren't familiar more than I could at the last Pine jam, which put me about an hour north of my comfort zone. I for one am just looking forward to the being there part, but if I could revisit some of my old haunts and attend a jam in one vacation it would be fantastic. On the other hand, I never mind fishing new places and I've never fished the central Pa streams, which are actually closer for me. I guess what I'm saying is, name the time and place and I will be there. The big advantage for me this year over last year is that this time I know what date my son's birthday will fall on. :)

Boyer

Whoa! I just realized that at Petticoat we could walk to a bar. We may have to rethink that one. :-D

Boyer

JackM wrote:
Tom, Pettecote Junction Campground in the village of Cedar Run was the last decent location we used in the north-central region. There were side-by-side cabins there and the CG was well-kept. It sat on Pine Creek near the mouth of Cedar Run.

I have never fished any of those areas before...Is the page from that trip gone...I remember lots of pics of fishing in the rain. I'd be for that one since I missed the first one.

As long as I have enough time to plan I would like to attend. I never get a chance to fish with experienced fly fishers and it would certainly be an experience I would like to have.

Both North-East or Central would work great for me!

gemiller wrote:
As long as I have enough time to plan I would like to attend. I never get a chance to fish with experienced fly fishers and it would certainly be an experience I would like to have.

Both North-East or Central would work great for me!

With a 6 month old and a fairly time-consuming job I don't get out much, but dude, you're just over the hill from my place, so I'll be sure to shoot you a PM the next time I get out.

Boyer

I'll say your right over the hill from me, I fish in Pine Grove 3 days out of the week and it takes me about 5-8 minutes to get there:) We will definately have to get together!

Back