PA Stream Report link

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
FYI, here is a link to stream reports for some of the major streams in PA. This time of year they are updated weekly, mostly by some of the local shops in the area.

http://www.orvis.com/Pennsylvania-Fly-Fishing-Reports

Interesting to note a significant error I just saw. The Fishing Creek report on there is taken from TCO Flyshop and is for the Fishing Creek in Clinton/Centre County (note the best stretch described is the Narrows) yet the USGS flow data chart is from the Bloomsburg gauging station and is an entirely different stream, Fishing Creek in Columbia/Montour County. There is no gauging station on the other Fishing Creek.

Tom, no offense as I know this is your livelihood, but I wish to attach a credibility factor to reports and the correspondents are not identified very well. Is this all from Orvis' point of view?

Jack are you missing where it says from TCO for instance on Fishing Creek? I imagine they tap TCOs reports for at least several of the streams they monitor.

Yep. And Mike Heck does the FS report. Seems like it's fully sourced by local fly shops and guides.

I take any report by any shop with a grain of salt. my local shop always says the creek is "fishing well". sure, the fishing might be good, but the catching sucks!
it is another nice reference link though, and can always be good to compare to other reports when planning a trip.
when I skied alot, I remember always calling for the ski report and the recording telling of fabulous conditions, and then upon arrival you encountered a half inch of frozen slush on a 2 inch base of boilerplate ice. yep, epic stuff!!

I generally use them for flow and water clarity data and what's hatching now in order to plan trips to creeks that might be a 1-3 hour drive. On my local favorites I generally know what is happening each day.

I only pulled two reports, The Little J had a person's name, but no affiliation I could see and the other referenced Woodlands World in Uniontown, an Orvis dealer. Just was wondering if these are all Orvis dealers and guides or are the reports gathered from all available source regardless of company affiliation?

To my knowledge there is no gauge on Fishing Creek Lamar.

Chaz wrote:
To my knowledge there is no gauge on Fishing Creek Lamar.

Yeah that's what I pointed out to him.

Just was wondering if these are all Orvis dealers and guides or are the reports gathered from all available source regardless of company affiliation?

They are reports from Orvis dealers and endorsed guides. Most of them are pretty solid imo.

Take reports for with they're worth..lol. The reports are made by guides such as Mike Heck, and shops like TCO, FFP, Sporting Lifestyle, etc. It is a starting point if someone is planning a trip. This time of year they may not be too valuable, but during the spring hatch time, they may help some members plan their trip. I always suggest calling the local shop to get a low down on hatches and conditions or post something in "Stream Locations" to get info from the members.

This FYI post was not an "ad" for any FFing Manufacturer or company. TCO has a good report system for several eastern and central PA streams. I posted it before, and it also is worth bookmarking. Here it is again:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Stream_Conditions.cfm

[color=990000]Fish somewhere else this week.[/color]

Pretty acccurate to me. hahahahahahah

Akid, your avatar reminds me of W. C. Fields for some reason.

I bolded my favorite WC Fields line. haha

A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money.

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.

Abstaining is favorable both to the head and the pocket.

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

All the men in my family were bearded, and most of the women.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad.

Children should neither be seen or heard from - ever again.

Don't worry about your heart, it will last you as long as you live.

Drown in a cold vat of whiskey? Death, where is thy sting?

Hell, I never vote for anybody, I always vote against.

Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

I drink therefore I am.

I like children - fried.

I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

afishinado wrote:
FYI, here is a link to stream reports for some of the major streams in PA. This time of year they are updated weekly, mostly by some of the local shops in the area.

http://www.orvis.com/Pennsylvania-Fly-Fishing-Reports

Just a suggestion. I know THIS site is for PA streams, but it would be great if Orvis could maybe get Loren Williams to do a report for Nine Mile Creek in NY.

Back