Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Bozeman
I consider most "famous" streams that are stocked with adult trout to be overrated. I know it's snobbish, but I'm just never that impressed with that scene.

In defense of big pine, of all the big name stocked waters, I enjoy it the most because of the scenery and holding water.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 9:24

From florida
Did Pa ever rate their stream? I know NY did and the Ausable was #1 . I fished it in the 60's and it was reall good.As I recall West Canada was ,is #4 and it was pretty good when I fished it. i don't know the criteria they used .Wasn't it Wyoming where the blue ribbon designation started?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 9:25

From Pittsburgh
Sundrunk: You must have never hit big pine during a good hatch
I've seen blue quills and hendricksons just covering the water there in late april
I admit that the water temps do get too warm in summer for trout fishing there, but it's still a great place to fish in the spring IMO.
You know, I used to think that lots of streams were over rated. Then I came to find out that I just really didn't know when and where to fish them. As I learned that over the years, I've concluded that most of the well known streams, are definitely that way for a reason - they'll good.
I honestly can't think of a stream that I would call overated right now
I've only fished the yellow breeches and letort a few times, and have never done well on either. And I have a few buddies who live close to them, and say that they're definitely overated. But I'll bet that if I spent a lot of time on them - I would probably have a favorable opinion of both

Posted on: 2009/4/9 9:44

From Gunpowder River, MD
dryflyguy,
it's true, I have never hit big Pine when it was just right. I've fished it about 5 times (April/May) and the conditions were always poor. Either water levels were to high for the kind of fishing I like to do, or the air temps to cold...plus lots of wind. I seldomly fish Pine because it's to far for me to travel to roll the dice on conditions. The scenery is spectacular though. Thats what drew to Pine in the first place. I don't doubt the hatchs on Pine. Unless you're a local it's tough to time this river right. And like I've mentioned before it's hard to drive past Penns...Love Slate and Cedar though...

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:09

From Harrisburg PA
Tully below Blue Marsh

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:14

From Chester County
Here's the list I posted earlier:

Tully
YB
Spruce
LL
Lehigh River (sorry LHregular)
Beaverkill (NY)
Ausable (NY)

To sum it up, stocked fish is the main reason I believe these streams/rivers as overrated. I just can't get exited about them, and driving a hundred or more miles to fish some of these streams doesn't make sense for me even if they have great hatches. Also the LL, YB, and the Tully are way too crowded most of the time.

The one exception on the list is the Lehigh River, the fish are usually nice, but the River has an on/off switch. I think the releases have a lot to do with that. Also the number of rafters on some sections takes away from some of my enjoyment.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:24

From Greensburg, PA
If a stream had both wild and stocked fish and you were casting to a rise...you would not know whether that fish was wild or stocked until you had at least 10 seconds of fight done or possibly even when you got it to hand. As many of you admit, sometimes it hard to tell the difference unless you really look at one.

With that in mind, if your only reason for a stream to be overrated is that the fish are stocked, then the only thing overrated are your expectations.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:45

Bravo Thomas-we should not condone discrimination in any form.
However if the stream has wild don't stockers actually dislodge them from holding areas thereby causing a reduction in wild which leads to more stockers needed,which brings in the truck and other camp followers,which leads to over-rated trout streams?So Confusing.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:53

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>With that in mind, if your only reason for a stream to be overrated is that the fish are stocked, then the only thing overrated are your expectations.>>

Well, it's all subjective, including the above. Sort of like asserting that a red car is nice, but a blue car is not.

IMO, it all depends on how we (as individuals) define a trout stream.

For me, a trout stream stays a trout stream all year round and does not become primarily a smallmouth bass stream for half or more of the angling season. So, in my view, this eliminates a pile of creeks that include many of our more highly regarded freestones, including half or more of the lengths of Kettle, First Fork, Driftwood, Pine and virtually all of the lengths of such streams as Oil, Brokenstraw, etc. I think they're all over rated and don't understand why people think they're worthwhile.

But then again, I think most red cars are ugly...

Posted on: 2009/4/9 10:58

From Greensburg, PA
And you call the media spinsters?... You can continue to make your own point if you want but that wasn't mine. I guess if you expect only wild fish and you catch stockies, that would be disappointing. But unless you are fishing a Class A you should know better by now.

If the white truck was the only thing creating camp followers, why do we keep the wild stream so secret?

So hwy do we fish these streams if they are so overrated? What are you 2 most UNderrated streams?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:00

From Bozeman
Good point, Tom, but there is no rationality to it for me. I just enjoy wild fish more. At the end of the day, I look back on a day of wild trout vs a day of stocked trout, and the wild fish consistently stand out.

The "overrated" streams are just that. It doesn't mean they aren't good. The tully, for example, is a favorite of mine. It's still just a big stocked canal, and given the choice, I'd go elsewhere. Often, I don't have that choice.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:01

From Lewistown
I think the issue with stocked fish is how can you promote a stream as world class and bring tourist from all of the country to fish it, then it's overrated.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:02

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Good point, Tom, but there is no rationality to it for me. I just enjoy wild fish more. At the end of the day, I look back on a day of wild trout vs a day of stocked trout, and the wild fish consistently stand out.

I can agree with that but how does it directly relate to the stream itself.

By afishes standard every stream is overrated except wild streams. Is that what he means? I actually agree with most of the streams he finds overrated but not because they hold stocked fish.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:04

Case in point for me is Spruce. Sure it is a fine stream- pretty and can support wild trout and has the hatches.

I have been told by a resident expert in the area that the wild trout are pretty much driven out of the stream but the big stockers.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:06

From Bozeman
I don't think every stream is overrated by his standards. Just the ones that are hailed as destinations. I'm inclined to agree. If I'm driving over an hour to a stream, it had better have wild or fingerling stocked fish. There is something about fishing water that trout can actually LIVE in that does it for me.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:06

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com