Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Manheim, PA
And all that was my point

Posted on: 2009/4/9 13:13

afish...

How dare you...overrate the Lehigh.... I'm appalled. J/K.

I see why some people feel that way. It has its downside.

The potential this river has, scenery and limited wild fish making it a challenge is what is so attractive to me.

I can think of a 100 other rivers I'd rather fish in this country...but proximity makes it appealing.

As for the Tully....what it has become is what makes it overrated.

LR

Posted on: 2009/4/9 13:32

From Downingtown, PA
TomG - I agree with your points about perception I don't agree with your premise that "over-rated" is due to misconception - I believe it's due to differences in subjective likes and dislikes.

It's like that Woody Allen scene where he's complaining that they never do it - maybe 3 times a week. And she's complaining that they're always doing it - maybe 3 times a week. 2 different subjective opinions of the same fact. I believe a stream can be overrated just because it has stocked trout - But that's my criteria and I appreciate that other's criteria may be different.

It's been interesting to see how may of us share similar feelings about specific streams and for the same reasons. There have also been a few surprises. But if that means less pressure on my favorite / overrated streams, well that works for me!

EG

Posted on: 2009/4/9 13:44

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>It's a very valuable stream, but it's not great.>>

Down comes the duck, as Groucho used to say.. (it's a long story about Groucho Marx's TV show and the "magic" word for the day and you have to be at least 50 to get it).

But never mind that.. Here, I'm using it to say that I think the word "valuable" is key to the discussion.

There are a lot of components that go into how we rate something like this. Not the least of these are local or regional pride or enthusiasm. For folks who fish the Tully frequently because they can get there in a jiffy or they actually helped Tully TU work on the creek, enthusiasm is normal. It's there and it's OK. Nobody wants to say they frequent or look forward to going to a trout stream that they think is middling at best, even if it is one of the better ones in the area. It's contrary to human nature.

And the Tulpehocken is valuable, particularly in that sense.

It's kind of like Oil Creek up in my native NW. I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the drive end with Oil Creek as a trout stream (as a bass creek is something different), but I used to fish it some and I enjoyed it. But I never thought it was much of a trout stream. Still, I've heard folks from the area refer to it as "Pennsylvania's Beaverkill" (although I think calling the Beaverkill New York's Oil Creek sounds better to me).

We like what we have and we tend to rate it a little higher as a result. This is normal. If we don't, we're probably a good candidate for Lexapro.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 13:57

The leTort and the Delaware are the only two that had a national recognition and the leTort was dismissed as not what it used to be.
One called the Brod something because it had a club got a few lines but a hurricane was supposed to have wiped that out.
I used to look and look for things about Pa.trouting because that's where I got hooked- nada..it wasn't until I got a computer and googled up Pa.trout fishing and found this place I could read about it.
Over-rated would seem to be a personal thing here but you are lucky to have so many good streams.Maybe even luckier to be under the national radar as it would be easier to buy up streams in the East.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:00

From Monessen, PA
I abhor the term "overrated" whether applied to streams, songs, groups or whatever, particularly though when the ultimate assessment of the value of the object is in the eyes of the beholder. First, two people discussing an overrated stream would first have to agree on how it is "rated" in the perception of "all others," then they would need to agree with a "real" value, so that they can make the comparison needed to consider it "overrated."

To examples from this discussion:

Yellow Breaches:

Rated highly by the general public because the general public generally doesn't care whether trout are stocked or not. If someone devalues a stream because it is stocked, then they can never find it appropriately valued by others. As a stocked water, it is absolutely among the best in terms of variety and volume of aquatic insect activity. Likewise, it is fertile and cool enough that the trout are usually very healthy and typically act very natural. Other than being popular and near urban centers, and therefore occasionally crowded, it is about the best adult stocked water I've ever fished.

Spruce Creek:

I can only speak to the George Harvey waters, but there are actually not that many stray stockers mixed in. I would bet that 85% of the trout I catch there are wild. It has wonderful insect life and if you fish it right, it should take you about 5-6 hours, maybe more, to fish bottom to top, which is more than a couple hundred yards. It is exactly 1/2 mile of water, or 1860 yards. As noted, it is braided and in such a way that you could consider the stream milage almost double. I made the mistake of fishing Spruce like other waters, but have since learned that fish hold in the shallowest of areas that you would swear are devoid of fish. I would actually call the Harvey waters undderrated, because most of Spruce's public reputation, as expressed here, is indeed a misconception with respect to the Harvey waters. I hope it remains this way.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:09

From Bozeman
To me, the assumption is that "overrated" was with respect to my own views of the stream's value. I don't think anyone feels that a stream has some agreed upon "rating".

I have no problem with using the term, as long as one states what they believe the generally accepted rating, and their own assessment. I believe many of the posts in this thread did that just fine.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:17

From Other side of the tracks
You guys and your semantics.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:32

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>It is exactly 1/2 mile of water, or 1860 yards.>>

On Edit: I've turned over a new leaf...:)

I think there are only 880 yards in a half mile.

But that's only my opinion and may or may not actually be supportable..

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:34

You guys are real idiots with your wild trout nonsense...

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:51

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:

What exactly do you mean when you make that statement?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:54

From Bozeman
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:

I agree! We're all absolute fools. Thanks for your contribution.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:56

From Pittsburgh
To me, a stream is good if I go there, and find fish - wild or stocked - rising to hatches. That's what it's all about to me.
Someone who likes to dredge fish, and couldn't care less about hatches, would certainly have a whole different opinion on streams. All in how you like to fish.

A lot of guys on this site have griped about the Yough.
But after fishing it for over 20 years, I've found some spots where - under the right conditions - I can go to and find nice size fish rising frequently.

Caldwell creek has been talked about here lately. I've read and heard some nice things about it. But I've never caught a fish there, even though I've checked it out quite a few times over the years. Just never saw anything hatching or rising, and I'm not going to dredge it. But several other posters - RLeeP? - have said that is has some nice fish in it. Now, I'm not gonna say that it's no good, or overrated - just because it didn't fish the way I like.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 15:05

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:

Speak for yourself. Thanks are the last thing I offer to someone who blurts out that kind of unwarranted name calling. I'm still waiting for MY answer.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 15:09

From Bozeman
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:

Speak for yourself. Thanks are the last thing I offer to someone who blurts out that kind of unwarranted name calling. I'm still waiting for MY answer.

You have got to be kidding me... It's 7 letters long and starts with an S. It ends with an M. The middle five letters are ARCAS.

I was obviously speaking for myself anyway.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 15:13

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com