HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Minglewood
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
There are times when the BK is a better option than the W.B. They are few I agree but there are instances. One is the fall when the w.b. closes and the second is early season when the w.b is high and you don't have a pontoon. It is also a change of pace from the D. I like to nypmh the heavy pocket water in the BK which is limited on the D. I guess i just like to fish different places.

I must admit thought it is hard to go to the BK when I'm in deposit.

I fish pretty much exclusively out of drift boat and early season is as good as it gets. Only the Upper West closes BTW

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:51

From Dauphin PA
He has a cabin near Deposit so that's his stomping grounds. It's a nice change of pace to go nymph pocket water or some of the faster runs on the BK. It's usually my first stop of the season before heading to the D. Besides, what a better way to start a fishing trip than to stand elbow to elbow in Carins pool and be the only one catching fish. Everybody wants to inspect your fly as you're leaving. Pretty funny stuff.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:58

From Minglewood
I stopped at the beaverkill one day this year because I was meeting Clients in Roscoe and while I was there I saw a guy fishing a huge drake pattern below an even bigger thingambobber!

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:07

From Cato, NY
I really don't know what it is about the BK, but I really enjoy nymphing that water. I have stood and fished in Cairn's pool quite a few times. I really like fishing down river in the less populated spots. There are some really big fish in that river and all I can say it is fun to fish, no other reason than that.

I know the border water on the w.b. is open all year but the hatches die out in october and while I do enjoy nymphing the w.b. I prefer to nymph fast pocket water which the BK has plenty of. I am going to explore the Willow a lot more too when time permits.

Also I know the w.b is good early season but when you don't have a drift boat it's tough to streamer fish from shore when the river is >5000 cfs.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:09

From Dauphin PA
We'll have you over on the EB before too long. LOL

BTW Jimmy, I also prefer using a strike indi with my green drake patterns..... but only in April.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:11

From Minglewood
October=equals pre spawn pisssed off streamer bite on the Main!

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:11

From Minglewood
Next spring I'm gonna float the EB more I think!

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:12

From Dauphin PA
ZIP YER HOLE... Snickers

The crowds are almost gone for the year.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:12

From Cato, NY
I would love for you to show me around there. I was there once last year. I took rt. 30 to some campground and fished there for a bit and really liked the water. It was late in the year and not much going on but vowed to make it back.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:13

From Dauphin PA
NO! From the "jaws" to Bard Parker.

I fish up above Al's a few times a year. Even though the stream isn't that big. Plenty of fish in the 20+ range. Tough to get close to because the water is so thin

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:14

From Minglewood
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
ZIP YER HOLE... Snickers

The crowds are almost gone for the year.

Watch this I'll make the crowds disapper for the year with this post.

Salmon running so heavy in the DSR you can walk across their backs.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:24

From Dauphin PA
POOF! Chrome domers and mud sharkers are gone. Nice job. LMAO

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:28

From Chester County
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
The beaverKill is one of the heritage waters with a very rich history. It is one of the major catskill rivers where American flyfishing was born. It's rich history alone makes it worth seeing. Most of the fathers of American flyfishing fished that water along with the Willowemoc, Esopus, and Neversink River. There are a lot of stocked fish in the BeaverKill but like I said in my previous post, it gets a lot of wild bows and browns from the Delaware. The fish pics in my previous post speak for themselves what kind of fishery it is.

This link provides information about the BeaverKill which states there is a presence of wild fish.

BeaverKill

Then Why not fish the Delaware?...lol.

In order to get to the BK, I have to cross a bridge over the D; I usually look down at the water, and decide pull over and find a parking spot.

The Beaverkill has great hatches in the spring. As I wrote (2 years ago!) in this thread, most of the fish are stocked and wild fish (and a chance for big ones) trumps stocked fish every time, IMO. Also, the spring crowds during the major hatches on the BK makes the D seem almost empty.

I've had some great days fishing the BK including 100 fish days, but they were mostly stocked dinks. I have caught some nice wild fish in the BK and it IS a great stream to fish, but many anglers that only read about the fabled water of the Beaverkill would be kinda disappointed when they actually fish it. I'm not saying it's BAD, just overrated.

Hey, if you never fished the Catskills before and had some time, I would recommend you fish the D River along with the BK, maybe the Willow and definitely the Esopus (a very unique fishery). I've done that along time ago; but it's the Delaware River that keeps me coming back...and back...and back for many years now. Sometimes you figure things out for a day or maybe two, but that River never really gives up all it secrets, no matter how long you fish it.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 6:51

Edited by afishinado on 2011/8/18 7:16:41

From Cato, NY
Afish,

I've fished the D once or twice...it was ok

Posted on: 2011/8/18 7:38

From Chester County
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
Afish,

I've fished the D once or twice...it was ok

Lol...don't forget, the D includes the EB, WB, and the MB. Enough big wild bow and brown water to explore for a decade or two.

Okay mc, you have the hammer, if you had to choose only river to fish in the area, which one would you pick?...Cairns Pool?!?....

Posted on: 2011/8/18 7:54

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com