Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Bozeman
I know there are wild fish there, but is it or is it not primarily sustained by stocking?

That's my gripe with a stream. If it needs plants to be a good fishery, I don't have any interest.

As I said, I'll fish it. Maybe this fall.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 13:59

I think the "over-rating" of the Little Lehigh and the Beaverkill is that while they are still good trout streams they don't compare to the streams they once were. Reputations can sometimes last longer than the great fishing. IMHO, the Little Lehigh has suffered from overdevelopment of the Lehigh Valley and the Beaverkill from the flood/drought yo-yo of the last decade.

Twenty years ago a normal summer afternoon on the LL brought 20 or so fish to hand and the fish were spread out all the way to the Lehigh; I haven't caught 20 fish in a day at the LL in a long, long time and they seem to be more and more concentrated near the hatchery outflows. The weedbeds are a memory and the streambed has broadened and shallowed. Info from 15 or more years ago on the LL doesn't describe the LL of today IMHO.

The Beaverkill is a tougher call. When the Beaverkill had 4 50+ year floods in 24 months it altered the stream for the worse IMHO. However, the area is still largely undeveloped and going back to the 60's (as far back as I fished it) there have always been dry stretches when the fishing went downhill and wet periods when it was fabulous. I didn't fish in 1955, but Hurricane Dianne really tore up the Catskills just like it did the Poconos and I have been told the fishing suffered. Then there was a 50 year period without major floods. Those mountain freestones are pretty variable environments and the historic brook trout area is from Roscoe upstream, so the bigger water has always been up and down. The call is tough since the Beaverkill has always been all over the map and comparing the current stream to the best years isn't really fair.

I fish for stocked and wild fish and try not to be a snob about it, but this summer I fished Colorado where they stopped stocking the rivers and the wild fish were of much higher quality than the stocked fish in the East. Sorry, but it was a pretty profound difference.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:07

From Cato, NY
Ok fair enough. Let me know how you make out. I would like to get back down there this fall as well but not sure if it is in the cards yet.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:08

From Cato, NY
Jeff good analysis. I don't think anyone is arguing that wild fish aren't of higher quality than stocked fish. I think most can agree on that.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:10

The Beaverkill bows are a relatively new thing, but I must agree that when you hook into a big, wild bow it is a treat. They seem to move up the E Branch into the Beaverkill in the fall, which is a great time to fish the rapids (fish the fastest water you can find) - one change for the better that not many people take advantage of. The Beaverkill is pretty heavily stocked with browns though.

My other beef (which actually helps the adventurous) that may give the Beaverkill an over-rated is that the popular pools, like Junction, Cairns, and now one below the Riverside, are horribly crowded and they would get an over-rated on the high people per fish ratio. However, lesser known and harder to get to pools can be deserted and have pretty much the same number of fish. That happens everywhere these days, but it seems to be worse at the Beaverkill where Public Fishing Rights places are well spread out from a little above Roscoe all the way to the East Branch yet most people still jam into a handful of spots. There is more to the Beaverkill than Cairn's Pool!

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:34

From Dauphin PA
Ouch! I would be a Carins Pool whore. LOL. Jay, if you want to get picky, any brown trout you catch was stocked at one time or another. I am quite sure that I've taken fish from the Beaverkill that were stocked but had been in the stream for 3 yrs or so. Where is the line that they go from stocked to wild? As for the rainbows, I nymph up Horse Brook Run every year and catch wild spaz bows. Been doing that for 15 yrs. My buddy has told me in April you can find pods of BIG bows in the upper Willow pre & post spawners. I make sure to hit the BK at least a few days out of the year. The hatches are fine and it is a mix of holdovers and stockies. Most of the stockies are tiny and you just avoid their rises. It's got a steeper grade than the EB, WB and Main. It's a nice change of pace. It does get crowded in the big name pools but check out the gamelands after someone yells "The Drakes have started!!" Same problems. As far as I'm concerned, keep pounding the WB and the BK. That way I can be all alone on the EB. Just happens to be the best big fish river up there. The fish are just harder to find and a little more fickle.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:54

From Bozeman
The line is when they are born in the stream.

First generation fish are fine. The stream's got to support reproduction as the primary source of the population.

Fingerling stocked fish are merely decent, holdover adult stockers slightly less so. The arbitrary rules have been set.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:05

From Dauphin PA
Going by dem rulz, you can count the real wild fisheries on 2 hands. At least the ones around here.

edit: If I can step over the 'wild fishery' using a normal stride, I can't count it. Sorry those are also the rules. LOL

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:13

From Bozeman
I don't fish very many streams, to be honest. I do travel an awful lot to fish.

That's how I likes it.

There are a handful of options within day trip range, but I save most of my fishing for multi day trips to greener pastures. I travel to central PA over a dozen times a year, the delaware a handful of times, and SCPA a few times as well. Maryland too. This is why I'm single. LOL

There's only one semi-local "jump across" stream that I like to fish regularly. Not into the brook trout thing in most cases, nor the small mountain streams.

I know what I like. It makes life easier. It also provides some entertainment when that makes people insecure.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:16

From Minglewood
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would fish the Beaverkill when you have The 2 best trout streams in the east so close. I love the Little Lehigh posts as well. People that have never fished outside of a half mile beat commenting on a stream as a whole.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:27

From Cato, NY
There are times when the BK is a better option than the W.B. They are few I agree but there are instances. One is the fall when the w.b. closes and the second is early season when the w.b is high and you don't have a pontoon. It is also a change of pace from the D. I like to nypmh the heavy pocket water in the BK which is limited on the D. I guess i just like to fish different places.

I must admit thought it is hard to go to the BK when I'm in deposit.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:41

From Bozeman
I always considered the LL overrated because of all of the "you need 12x to catch these fish" nonsense and all of the people that bought it.

It's a good wild trout stream, and seems to be improving.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:42

From Minglewood
Moved some pigs early Sunday morning on the LL tossing meat. One solid hook up which ended in a knot failure. It made me sick.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:48

From Eastern PA
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
There are times when the BK is a better option than the W.B. They are few I agree but there are instances. One is the fall when the w.b. closes and the second is early season when the w.b is high and you don't have a pontoon. It is also a change of pace from the D. I like to nypmh the heavy pocket water in the BK which is limited on the D. I guess i just like to fish different places.

I must admit thought it is hard to go to the BK when I'm in deposit.

Espous for pocket water! Love that place.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:48

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I always considered the LL overrated because of all of the "you need 12x to catch these fish" nonsense and all of the people that bought it.

It's a good wild trout stream, and seems to be improving.

This is a well known fact. Fish simply cannot be caught on the LL with tippet larger than 12x or flies larger than size 24.

Don't even waste your time.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:50

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com