Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Outer Banks

From Harrisburg, PA
I'm heading down to OBX this weekend. Has anyone done any fly fishing down there? I've been reading their message boards and everything that I read revolves around bait fishing.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 20:46

Re: Outer Banks

From Greensburg, PA
Try the Outer Banks Flyfishing forum. The capt. is probably already booked but you can read some good, location specific, info. There are three old posts that are just about everything you need to know short of whats biting right now...

Great general OBX fly advice

Second good post from the capt.

Great report from a guy from SE PA

Have fun...they're getting into Cobia and sharks as well as some left over specks.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 20:57

From Gettysburg
I think you will find the Outer Banks, if you've never been there, are fantastic. As for the bait fishing reports - you can, as a fly fisherman, get a lot of useful info from these - don't ignore them. These reports will tell you what is running, where, and what depth or tide etc. As a general rule, in Dixie (outside of south FL), there are not as many saltwater fly fisherman as in the northeast. The OBX are vast and varied. I am mostly familiar with the area up around Oregon Inlet. In the summer you can get specks, flounder, spanish macs, schoolie stripers, cobia, redfish, even tarpon - although few people fly fish for the silver kings in NC. An eight WT rod is good for most applications. The flats behind Oregon Inlet are generally hard sand and turtle grass and easily waded. A kayak is great although you should stay away from the inlet in small boats as the currents are dangerous. Right at the marina at OI you can wade out on the "propeller flat" or kayak out to islands and wade. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 22:34

From Harrisburg, PA
Thanks, I'll be an hour north of Oregan Inlet in Coralla. I'm not sure if I'll make it down there. If I can find a good tide with little grass, I'll take my 8wt out on the sandbar. The Blues are in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 22:44

From Greensburg, PA
Just remember, you need an inland freshwater license to fish the sound behind corolla or duck. Once you get south of the first bridge, all you need is the new saltwater fishing license. You need that for the surf as well this year. Its 15 for the week I think. TW's will sell them i'm sure. Good luck. BTW, i'm told there are some nice bass in the ponds...

Posted on: 2007/6/8 9:11

Go to Pea Island. Everyone down there tells you to use little crabs and Clouser Minnows. Dont tell anyone though, because I'm usually all alone and catching fish.

Posted on: 2007/6/17 2:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com