Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Opportunistic Dry Fly Fishing
From Monessen, PA
You can get trout to rise this time of year with about everything and anything. Just be patient and read the water and conditions.

BWOs work as well as crickets. Chirp. chirp.

Posted on: 7/15 17:29

From Ferguson Twp.
I've watched dryflyguy catch a pile of fish when nothing was going on. After almost a week fishing with him a fire was lit for fishing dries in me and I'm now doing it much more often, and doing well. I find myself wanting and going fishing on top with terrestrials more & more, but not without my nymphing rod you know! So yes I'll take the dries out for just that no problem.

Posted on: 7/15 17:32

From State College, PA
I was just at Spruce Creek (C&R area) last Friday night. Nothing was rising so I began prospecting with a #14 Yellow Stimulator. I cast everywhere that I thought would hold a fish-including just inches or less from streambank cover/shrubs/trees etc. This technique was good for over 20 fish in a little over three hours. I did the same on Spring Creek and picked up 5 nice browns in a little over one hour of fishing. Again, nothing was rising but the trout were definitely looking up. I had a few misses and a lot of refusals on Spring too. I could have changed to a different fly/different size and probably caught more fish there. Honestly, I didn't care. I like being able to easily see a #14 fly as opposed to a #18 or #20.

Posted on: 7/15 20:22

From Ferguson Twp.
^^nice^^

Posted on: 7/15 21:01

From Lancaster
A yellow stimulator in that size 14 is a really tough pattern to beat when casting blind to a good holding spot or just prospecting with dries. It always seemed to me that this buggy looking pattern just screams "FOOD" to the trout when it splats down on the surface. I always have had a lot of confidence in this pattern which is a huge part of success in flyfishing as well.

Posted on: 7/15 21:18

From NE Pennsylvania
Well looks like Ill be starting to assemble a terrestrials box! Ive literally ignored terrestrials. Got tons of nymphs, egg patterns, worm patterns, streamers, species specific dries, midges, emergers, and floating nymphs, ...but ask me for an ant, a beetle, a cricket, or a hopper and I might look at you a little funny haha. I dont imagine itll take too long to get the knack of dropping big bugs in likely holds and waiting to get blasted!! But as JackM pointed out, its gonna take patient and a great deal of self-control to stick with it and not grab for my nyphing rod when things dont work out right away! Thanks for the input....

Posted on: 7/15 23:46

From LV
You were misinformed! I know of streams in which other then fish the only thing available to the fish for food is terrestrials, because there are no insects living in the streams.

Posted on: 7/16 7:15

From NE Pennsylvania
Chaz, this was not a situation where i recieved information that was not correct. It is through my own experience that I have not found the need to carry terrestrial patterns as I tend to do well nymphing and with streamers in situations where there isnt a prominent hatch or spinner fall. I am however working toward improving my terrestrial game and wanted to get some input as to other fishermans experiences/thoughts on how important they thought it was to have a terrestrial selection. The general consensus is that it is an absolute must. So i will reluctantly put down the nymphing rod for the next couple outings and try my hand at flinging hopper, crickets, beetles, and ants. To the vise!!

Posted on: 7/16 8:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
There are always exceptions. But just to lead ya in the right direction:

For me terrestrials are usually a late morning thing in summertime. Nothin happens till the dew burns off. But when it does, it's often good fishing till 10 or 11 when the sun gets too high and takes away your shadows. Usually one bank only is shady, focus on that one as much as possible.

Structure is reasonably important. If it's grass lined bank, I use hoppers. Overhanging limbs usually means ants. I'm not a big beetle guy but I know others love em.

My favorite terrestrial situation is probably when you have a good current flowing against a steep grassy bank, with big exposed rocks lining the bank. There's pockets behind the rocks, between the current and bank, where fish sit. Hoppers. If the fish are real aggressive, you can plop the hopper right in those slack water pockets. But you'll only get a second before drag sets in. More often, I cast above the boulder, and try to catch the current coming down right against the rock. You can get a decent drift as the fly floats back towards you a bit around the boulder, creating the slack you need. The fish sit in that slack spot and watch that current.

This is definitely a precision accuracy thing.

Posted on: 7/16 8:24

From chester ct
Wild_T said " began prospecting with a #14 Yellow Stimulator. ". You would have done better with a #16-18 Yellow Sally, especially with an egg sac. Isoperla stone flies are prevalent here in the NE as well as the Sierra, Smokies and Rockies. Even an EHC in the right color can work and they are less fussier to tie than Stimmies. When doing Isoperlas, especially in other colors, I prefer less common patterns, like Renegades and Colorado Kings.

Using these, I once had a big brookie on the Brodheads smash a YS - it was a hot dead day at noon and I was sitting on a rock. I tied on the fly and was idly dangling it in the water, not expecting anything, when he slammed it and broke off my tippet even though I was using a noodly 3-4wt cane rod. Still sitting on the rock, I rerigged with more tippet and another YS. Just for the heck of it, I dangled the leader and fly in the same spot just under me and wham. This time I was readier and played the trout to the proper conclusion. When releasing it, I looked in its mouth and saw a shiny mono sticking out. I thought this was strange since I was in a spot that had not been fished that year. So I looked way down his throat and there was my YS, swallowed way too deep to extract. Best I could do was snip off as much mono as I could.

Stones rock!

Posted on: 7/16 9:21

From down the block from the Letort.
Hoppers and ants are fun for prospecting on the springcreeks this time of year. Personnaly, I have trouble seeing beetles, so I stick to ants and hoppers.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just terrestrials for prospecting though. I was on an upper stretch of the Breeches yesterday and picked up a mess of browns fishing a generic CDC/Elk caddis to the likely spots, then an Adams after that fly got too chewed up. No hatch to speak of, but those fish get awfully opportunistic this time of year. So I figure if they're familiar with a certain bug that does hatch on occasion, they'll rise to it, trouts gotta eat. Some were aggressive on the rise, others were just a gentle tip and sip like the hatch was on, a couple of hours well spent.

Posted on: 7/16 10:20

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com