Opinions on Trot Line Removal?

djs12354

djs12354

Earlier this month, Dan and I were getting ready to fish the Lackawanna River near Childs.
As we were gearing up, a fellow pulled up to chat. He mentioned that he also fished the area and has done well, but was upset because he had found and destroyed a "trot" line some a**hole had strung across the river.
While I was initially grateful that he had found and trashed the set, it struck me later that he should perhaps have left it and called the PAFBC.

What do you all think?

Yes he should have called the game warden.
I think it's Ok he removed it but he could have turned it over to the man and showed him where it was set up.

At least he took it out so that's a plus.

I'm assuming trot lines are illegal in PA(?) - not sure as I don't follow catfishing regs closely. Assuming they're illegal, I do think that the PFBC should have been called and notified as they may have a particular protocol or SOP for these sorts of infractions.

Trot lines are popular and widely used down South (at least they used to be when I lived there). In my experience, many crude trot lines were often set by poor immigrants with limited understanding of English and usually not even the remotest understanding of fishing regulations. Of course this doesn't excuse their use if illegal - I just mention this merely as a matter of perspective.

EDIT: I changed the thread title to reflect the topic addressed. Threads are set-up better when their title reflects the topic that follows and is a courtesy to readers.

What was the original title ?

FI - Thanks for the title edit. You are quite right, it's much better that way.

I understand that trot lines are popular down south and are legal there as a means to fish. My outrage stems from the use on a trout stream. In my mind trout had to be the primary target.

My hope would be that the PAFBC would have done some investigation or watching of the area if they were informed of the set being present.

From the PAFBC web site. I thought this was/is the case, but did confirm. My outrage is now greater.

The PA Summary of Fishing Regulations and Laws, under the heading of "Tackle & Equipment" sub-heading "Rods, Lines and Hooks" says (as of 2011):

"An angler may use a maximum of two lines fished either by rod or hand when fishing for gamefish, baitfish or both. It is unlawful for a person to fish with more than two fishing rods at a time. No more than three hooks shall be attached to a line used in fishing (one hook having two or three points is considered a “single hook”). All rods, lines and hooks shall be under the immediate control of the person using them."

Trot lines are clearly illegal.

Call PFBC!

Yes, call the PFBC. Even now that the trot line, or "trout line" in the this case, has been removed, it still would be a good idea to let the PFBC know about the trot line and where it was located.

Because poachers tend to keep operating in the same area, and PFBC officers can then watch that area.

It would have been better to leave the line in the water and call the PFBC. Officers would have most likely watched the line to try to catch the individual and if that failed, removed the line on their own. I have had this experience with other illegal equipment placed in Pa. waters.

Calling the PFBC would have been the best thing to do.

Mike wrote:
It would have been better to leave the line in the water and call the PFBC. Officers would have most likely watched the line to try to catch the individual and if that failed, removed the line on their own. I have had this experience with other illegal equipment placed in Pa. waters.

Would the PFBC actually "stake out" the spot?

RCFetter wrote:
Mike wrote:

The wardens won't even walk down to the river to nail steelhead poachers after we told them what was happening. Way easier to check licenses and sit in a warm truck.

Younger wrote:
RCFetter wrote:
Mike wrote:

The wardens won't even walk down to the river to nail steelhead poachers after we told them what was happening. Way easier to check licenses and sit in a warm truck.

Do you know exactly what the WCO's did & when?

That was my point. I have known them to "stake out" illegal devices.

I'll reach out to our local office tomorrow. Given that it's a second hand report and I'll I can do is give them a general area, I don't expect they can do much. Maybe just watch the area a little closer.

You guys are wrong....no offense.

I set lines in trout streams here in the poconos to catch snapping turtles all the time, completely legal, and may very well look like your definition of trot line. Light nano fill line, 3.5 inch long aberdeens and worms or cut minnows. The only question you need to ask, could the hooks, once having hooked something, could they reach the surface of water so as to not drown unintended turtles. Also, were the lines marked with contact info. Mine are and I check them every 12 hours

People cut my lines all the time and I've called the PFC. Without catching them in the act, they really can't do much. Next year, trail cams, pull my lines and see what'll happen.

From the rule book:

Set-lines, turtle traps, or other devices for catching turtles must include a tag indicating the name, address and phone number of the owner or user. Traps, nets or other devices must be of a floating or partially submerged design so as to allow for the release of untargeted turtles. Hooks must be at least 3.5 inches long with not less than one inch space between the point and shank of the hook. The number of lines or hooks per line is unlimited.

Mike wrote:
That was my point. I have known them to "stake out" illegal devices.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I think it's great that they can do that.

Rule book appears to contradict itself.

See

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/trot.htm

which I copied and posted earlier in this thread. Also, I see that the season closes Oct 31 for turtles. According to the person I was speaking with, the line was found in Nov.

No mention was made by the finder of any type of id being on the line.

I have not seen any turtles in the portions of the Lackawanna I have fished. Can anyone speak to the presence or lack of up this way?

Dave

I've only ever seen 1 turtle in the Lack, about 3 years ago in the fall in the Forest City area.

As a younger lad in PA I use to set turtle lines for my dad and grandfather. They love/loved turtle soup! I caught snapping turtles in many places where you didn't think they would exist. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Not once did I catch a fish on any of these lines.

Don

Back