Openning Day 2007

Fredrick

Fredrick

Does anyone know what is going on with the commission's plan to make the openning day of trout season ealier in certain counties and which counties will it affect . I live in the most southeastern part of Pa and the trout season pretty much is dead by June, because of water temps. Any info about the changes will be appreciated....

It's a done deal...here is a link to the PF&BC web page discussing it.

This was approved fairly recently and I'm a bit surprised about the relative lack of public input - I usually tend to think that the PFBC is too slow to adopt changes in trout regs but in this case they seemed to move very quickly. Whatever the case, I'm keeping an open mind about this change. Their rationale does have some merit, as you point out about water temps, but the area to open earlier next year is quite a large area including my county of Adams. Most of the opposition seems to be coming from northern tier forest counties that are concerned that this "split-opener" will hurt business in April. At this point we'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised if there turns out to be some unintended consequences.

There will be 2 opening days next year, one for SE PA and the other on the usualy opening day.
"The opening day of trout season for these waters will be the first Saturday after March 28, two weeks earlier than the current opening day."

This was approved fairly recently and I'm a bit surprised about the relative lack of public input

Fishidiot,

The FIRST time this was proposed, there was a good deal of public input against it. I guess the FBC didn't like the public input, so they kept proposing it until it went under the radar. IMHO, this is one of the slimier moves the FBC has done in a very slimy few years.

I guarantee there will be unintended consequences, and those will probably look a lot like POSTED signs. Landowners living along streams in "border" counties, like Dauphin, will now have the opening day crowds they are accustomed too PLUS all the people coming from counties a little further North.

That's their M.O. on everything they want to do.

I have a few questions about this approach...

1. Will they be stocking the early sections during the extended period? Making "opening day" fish harvestable in March?

2. How will they be able whether fish in posession where taken in the early opening areas or elsewhere while they are being transported back to the home of someone living in the later opening areas. "What these fish? I caught them in Berks county..." Says the man to the PFBC officer while at a rest stop in Clearfield.

3. Will they be policing both the Stocked western streams and the eastern streams? I think not...they don't have the manpower to do either, properly at any other time.

4. Will they be ending the stocking of the early streams 2 weeks earlier than the last stocking of the western streams?

I say get rid of opening day all together. Stock year round (or at least a lot earlier) Having a two month fishing season is supid anyway. At least thats why eastern fishermen say they need an earlier opening anyway. They claim theres no fishing after June 1st. No opening day...fish earlier. Many streams are fishable as early as February. Stocking in fall and winter will create amny more fishing opportunites.

But thats just my opinion...

Tomgamber,

As I understand it (and it's the reason I am not more upset), is that the staggered Opener will make the most of the available manpower and trucks.

The SE portion of the state is warmer earlier than the rest of the state, and can be stocked sooner. The trucks could then be freed up to stock other areas. I hadn't heard that patrols would be affected, although it does stand to reason. So anyway, it will help reduce costs for the FBC and I can support that reason. I still think it's going to have an impact on landowner relations with at least "some" landowners. I don't know enough to guess how much.

Padraic

Tom,

The preseason stocking begins in March during the closed season on Approved Trout Waters and continues until the end of March. There are very few stocking in April. This time is reserved for "make up" days dur to bad weather. Seldom are they used except for in the northern counties where snow is an issue. So the stocking schedules will not vary much. This make the transition rather effortless.

Law enforcement will not be affected either or at least not negatively because most WCO are assigned to counties and the ones crossing over county lines in the border areas (if any) will be able to police the opening day with additional support. I would imagine that there will be more enforcement in the bordering counties of the early opening day (SE region) because the northern border counties will lend a hand.

It is a step in the right direction toward extending trout fishing opportunities. I'm not against it...but I would rather see the the season start in February so we can take advantage of the early black stoneflies in more than just the FFO areas. The problem with January stockings (even with C&R regs until opening day) is that the fish do not have enough time to put on sufficient length to support the customers' wishes.

Thats how I see it.

Maurice

1, there are no western streams included in the early opening day. The early opening day is only for SE Streams, the list is going to be added too because some of the streams affected cross over county lines and those sections are the sections to be added. All this is available on the PFBC web under Regulations and Laws. Look for the topic Rulemakings.

Since I started flyfishing 6 years ago, Opening Day has become almost irrelevant to me in the Southwest part of the state. All the creeks worth fishing locally have special regulations and the wild streams aren't stocked. I don't harvest, so the arbitrary date in April has no effect on me. Toward the end of April, I may venture into Aproved Trout Waters open regulations on occasions. The only impact is that beginning April 1 until Opening Day, my favorite bluegill lake is off limits.

Stone_Fly wrote:
1, there are no western streams included in the early opening day. The early opening day is only for SE Streams, the list is going to be added too because some of the streams affected cross over county lines and those sections are the sections to be added. All this is available on the PFBC web under Regulations and Laws. Look for the topic Rulemakings.

I'm not sure I get your point...perhaps thats where you and Lou fell out of love...but anyway...Do they not have any extended season (march 1st thru March 31st) waters in the eastern part of the state?

If they do, and they are usually approved trout waters, when are they going to stock them? The night before opening day...?!

Back