Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Opening day angler counts

From southcentral pa.
Counts:
Stopped by the Lt. Conestoga in Lancaster County today, looked less crowded than normal at least in the PPL area....lots of kids with parents and so (good thing). catch rates were low....1 or 2 here and there. water and air temps cold.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:47

From South East pa
I don't fish any stocked water why should I pay for the trout Maurice? I am unable to get involved because of my work schedule being an average of 65 hours a week and having a family. Plus I don't eat the fish anyway. So Maurice why dot you enlighten me to what it's all about anyway since you seem to have all of the answers.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:13

From South East pa
And if the float boxes aren't expensive why can't the commission build them?

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:14

My angler counts were just on Bald Eagle and S Br Muddy Cks today. Anglers said it was slow, yet I saw a number of anglers with fish and heard from a few others that they were catching fish, but that they were releasing their catches. Saw a nine year old who had walked in about a half mile with his grandfather. The boy caught the last fish of his limit at about 11:30. His Grandfather had three. The boy had traveled down from NY State last night to fish the S Br Muddy, which is float stocked. Here, as elsewhere, I believe that certain anglers enjoy float stocking. In this case float stocking is the only way to get stickies into a one mile wooded, isolated stretch that anglers clearly love to fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:59

From Butler County
I have been float stocking for over 20 years now, and it is one of the most rewarding things I do and I am thanked repeatedly by veteran anglers for doing it.

The PFBC has the funds to raise the fish and get them to the stream, and now with the new DOT laws have even less time for drivers to be on the stocking run. If you are ok with dumping all the fish at the easiest bridge crossings, then so be it - please don't float stock.

Our boxes cost all of about $15 to build and last years. I must take personal days from work to do it, but being able to get my kids to a fishing spot that most people won't walk to is well worth it. We don't have many wild trout opportunities in our area, so for a quick fishing trip for a couple of months of the year, this is the only game in town. In fact, one of the areas we now float stock is only open to public access because we float it.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 21:10

From PA and NH
My buddy got fined one year for taking too long to put the buckets of trout in the water. They walked way downstream and out of sight of the truck on a small Pocono stream and when they returned the WCO took names and adresses and they were mailed fines, I guess for fish abuse, they thought they were stashing the fish for later, never had the heart to stock after that.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:24

From PA and NH
SNP , you're a carpenter, why wouldn't you build a float box?

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:26

From Butler, Pa
bear, are you looking for any help im also located in butler?

Posted on: 2013/3/31 1:43

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
DOT my butt, the frackers have all the time they need. why not the fish comm...that sounds like an excuse.( i was a truck driver and there are ways to do it) they don't want to pay drivers any overtime.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 5:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From North East PA
Sandfly

I agree that they probably do not want to pay OT, but you have to remember that labor expense is one of any organization's single biggest costs. That's why the call goes out for volunteers.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 6:42

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From South East pa
Guess I just don't have the time to build one? Obviously you didn't read my last post did you?

Posted on: 2013/3/31 6:57

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

SNPbound wrote:
I don't fish any stocked water why should I pay for the trout Maurice? I am unable to get involved because of my work schedule being an average of 65 hours a week and having a family. Plus I don't eat the fish anyway. So Maurice why dot you enlighten me to what it's all about anyway since you seem to have all of the answers.

If you don't fish stocked water you have no skin in the game. Why are you so passionate over the subject?

[here is the I have all the answers part,, for the other readers of course] Volunteering is not for everyone anyway, It requires a certain amount of selflessness and sacrifice. You recognize the need, formulate a plan and devote time or monies to take it to fruition. Often the investment is an effort in giving back. So if you receive nothing (enjoyment or satisfaction ) from stocked trout (being a wild stream only fisherman) I can see lack of desire.

What I cannot grasp is the degree of desired entitlement for something you have no interest in. Sort of like saying (I wan't gov't cheese too or an Obama phone, yet having no desire to consume or use them)

There is a place in successful volunteering for everyone... When you come into a scenario where volunteering is active, you need to either Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. Pick your place and be happy with it.

So, you said your piece, I said mine.

Happy Easter!

\ /
oo
^

Posted on: 2013/3/31 10:38

From Butler County
Sand - I am just telling you what I was told - I don't know the regulations. When you have drivers that have a 3 hour drive just to get to the stream, then a couple hours of stocking, then a 3 hour drive home, you have time problems. Especially when you have stocking 6 days a week for 3 months.

Marvin - The problem we have around here is that there aren't a lot of good float stocking opportunities on our streams. We have too many fragmented stretches on our waters - the WCO is all for it, just no place to do it. I'll let you know if I hear anything though.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 12:21

From Maytown, PA
A driver can be "on duty" 14 hrs a day, 11 of those hours can be driving time.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 12:47

From Jersey Shore, PA
Maurice:

Thou hast effectively communicated you thoughts...and I wholeheartedly agree. I become a bit confused when someone conveys a position such has been offered.

Furthermore, I believe our license/trout stamp dollars are used to pay for more than raising and stocking trout. Surveys of waterways, management plans, etc. are left to the professionals, and rightly so: and they don't work for free.

Perhaps I hold a different perspective. I consider my license dollars are money well spent. In fact, I consider what I pay to fish in one of the most trout-rich areas of the U.S. an incredible bargain. Perfection and total efficiency are totally elusive - even impossible- to achieve in any endeavor man chooses to pursue. Obviously, this includes the PFBC and its mission and focus. However, since I've had the opportunity to fish in a couple of European countries where I've had to pay significant amounts of money to fish a single section of stream or river per day (some fees exceed $250.) I've come to appreciate more strongly what I have here at home.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 14:03

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com