Opening Day of Trout Season

streamerguy

streamerguy

So what are everyone's plans for the opener? Anyone have any special traditions? Or is it just another day fishing? Or don't fish at all or fish a wilderness wild stream to avoid the crowds?

The opening day of trout season has always been special since I was little. I usually went to my grandparents house, stayed overnight and we told fish stories and whatnot and prepared for the next day. We would get up real early in the morning to get our spot on a random ATW we fish every year. We would fish pretty much all day, usually on the same creek but fishing different spots throughout the day, and then when we're all tired(and a lot of times soaked and/or cold) we'd head back to the house, clean our catch, eat dinner, and talk about our great day fishing.

Even though I fly fish most of the time now, and fly fish for trout 100% of the time, I have always spin fished opening day, as most of my family does, but I usually find time for the fly rod at some point during the day. And the opener is the only time I ever keep any trout to eat, it's always been tradition to take a few stockies home and fry 'em up.

Even though my grandpa doesn't get around to fish much anymore, and hasn't the past couple openers, we'll still visit my grandparents sometime throughout the weekend and keep up with tradition, as they are a big part of it. We'll probably be fishing the same creek this year as we've always been, which hasn't been that long(I'm still young) but it been our little tradion.

So does anyone else have any special tradions?

my dad, me, and my brother have a tradition. Ever since my dad was my age he would go up around marienville with his family/friends and fish all the creeks around there. We usually go up to camp there and stay for a least 2 days. i've spent a lot of the past opening days teaching and mentoring my younger brother about fishing. He loves being up in the mountains and enjoys the fishing as well. the opening day has always been fun, can't wait!

I usually fish an "open" ATW with some friends. I'll fly fish and creel a couple stockies for dinner. In the afternoon, I'll probably go chase warm water fish.

streamerguy wrote:

So does anyone else have any special tradions?

Sleep in.

Loaf around all day.

Let the one-week-a-year guys have their fun thinking that is all there is to trout fishing.

Catch all the fish the miss the following week.

sellin worms to the unwise...............

Three years ago, I started helping out a friend that had an ongoing thing. He has property on the WB of the Jig. He has a dock and a big hole at his hoouse and we take 10-15 kids and teach them how to fish.
Now I'll never do anything but that.
Mike

Nice Mike, I do not do something on such a big scale as that. However, I make a point to teach 1 kid something. Usually it involves handing a kid 10 butterworms and small hooks.

Opening day used to be spent with my brother, grandfather and sometimes my uncle on a Wayne County stream or three.
Both my Grandfather and my Uncle have passed on and my brother and I fell away from fishing.
Since I picked up the fly rod, I have been trying to get him out on the water with me again.
Hopefully, I'll be able to start a new tradition.

Let the one-week-a-year guys have their fun thinking that is all there is to trout fishing.

Catch all the fish the miss the following week.

It is funny all those people who only probably fish one week a year for trout. I fish for trout all year round, heck I'll probably fish Friday before the opener.

I flyfish for trout year round. I only go the first day because it's tradition. I take my son. I spend more time watching then fishing.

I'll be going for a motorcycle ride if the weather permits. I hate crowds, especially opening day type crowds. either that or take the canoe to lake arthur for some panfish.

I'm working - and that's fine with me.
I had my "opening day" back in february

I'll be out, throwing a huge BBQ with friends. Prolly do more drinking then fishing. My opening day was jan 2nd

probably sneek out wit a bunch of buds who will patiently sit for hrs for start(i sit in the truck till its time and watch the free for all) then after an hour or two when the crowd is cold dejected miserable i sneek down and strip buggers or nymph a ripple release my limit and tell my buds i caught my limit as they sit there drowning worms get lunch fish again go home haveing caught twice as many fish as them . if only they would see the light

I'm hoping for good weather. I think I'll mow and trim the yard that day so I have more time to fish after the "first day" guys are gone.

Hit up the first fork above and below costello. Maybe hit up the Allegheny. Take my 15 year old cousin up with me. I think he may be. more excited than i am.
-Not take any bait gear
-not drink as much beer
-not have a hangover all weekend
-live it up because it may be the last potter first day for a few years with the baby.

When I was young it was a fact that every trout opener that my grandfather, my brother and I would be out on the Yellow Breeches. None of us fly fished then, minnows, worms and spinners.

My brother had joined the Navy and after he got out he lost interest, so I'm like djs12354, I have always prayed he would want to go back out again and join me, I even offered to buy all the stuff he needed to start, rod, reel, give him flies, but to no avail.

As we grew up that remained our tradtion till my grandfather pasted away. But by then I had a couple of children of my own that had been introduced to the tradtion. My wife and all the kids actually went, breakfast cooked on a colemean stove, we used fishing worms and paste bait. It was awesome, all of us still talk about it. The girls all have moved away and have gotten married to, can you it believe men who don't fish, send your girls to college that's what can happen.

Now just waiting for the Grandson to get old enough to join me then he will go out too.

I just look forward to going to camp with the guys. First day, I just watch my sonfish for awhile and then I fish in the afternoon.

I have been backpacking into a Class A stream away from all the crowds for about 6 years now. Set up a nice little camp for the night. Drink some beers, eat a months supply of venison and hang with the guys. All while not seeing another person if i pick the right stream. Good luck to every one that is heading out.

Go smallmouth bass fishing, i hate opening day of 'ATW' It's a joke in my opinion, but that's just me.

Back