Opening Day Poll

JackM

JackM

Staff member
Inspired by the other thread, I was hoping to poll the members here on the above topic of discussion.

i voted on 3; have done it before and it works to a degree. placing bags on poles or trees along stream helps too.

I picked #3, all of them would be a good idea!

PaulG

I voted for the hand out bags however this might be logistically tougher to do on opening day as the garbage cans could be put out ahead of time. The advantage to the bags, obviously, is they don't need to be emptied later. Also, some slobs will simply litter with the hand out bags as I've come to discover in other endeavors where brochures and bags were handed out - they themselves become trash. Whatever the case, more initiatives such as this can't hurt and, if nothing else, demonstrate to the landowner that anglers have the initiative and decency to self-police themselves when they visit that particular property.

I voted for #2. But I think all 3 would be worthwhile projects.

How about what we do. As many know Muddy Creek TU operates two (2) refreshment stands at separate locations along the watershed. We sell Hamburgers, hot dogs, soft drinks, sweets and chapter merchandise and memberships.

But mostly we are there with a big sign to inform anglers of our presence in the watershed. We preach landowner respect. Provide maps of the stocking points. It becomes a welcome distraction during the mid morning for folks from all walks of life to inquire about our mission and for our spokespersons to interact with the public.

Oh and we have a big garbage bag there for people to throw away their trash.....if that helps.

Like FI said personalized trash bags then become trash themselves with a reminder of who contributed the trash. Thats bad PR.

Placing trash cans at bridges also winds up with household trash being placed in around and turns into a dump with tires and refrigerators piled around them.

I find that at least in our watershed trash from anglers is not a problem. maybe its our presence over the years that has instilled respect. Rather than rely on our message creating a perfect angling community, we talk one on one with the gracious landowners and let them know we are there for them, we respect their generosity to provide private land open to public fishing and offer our assistance if ever they feel angst toward fishermen. When they call about an issue which is not often, we offer prompt clean up in the case of trash, or connect them with the resource agency that may be able to field their particular issue.

It works for us.

> EDIT> After rereading the choices....we do everything in #1 and #3 as well by having the trash bags at the two popular locations. And having the stocking maps and brochures available. We also offer FREE introductory TU National memberships. With the rebate program it nearly pays for itself.

I voted number 3. I like number 2 also. I don't think number 1 is a good idea at all. Even though there might be some catch and release type anglers on first day, I say over half are there to creel trout. That is fine on approved trout waters, but not on wild trout streams. I don't think we should hand feed them where they can go catch some wild trout. That would put more pressure on these streams and more pressure usually means more harvest, especially from the first day crowd.

Troy

I've never missed the opener since I began trout fishing at age 7, so I plan to be out. Breaking that string would be BAD Karma, IMO. I usually wait until the afternoon when the crowd thins and I always find plenty of room to fish and catch a whole bunch of fish with my fly rod. That's the one day a year I get my wife off my back and keep a few to cook up.

I'll be in the "secret spot" again this opener (see ya' there, Jay).

Even though there might be some catch and release type anglers on first day, I say over half are there to creel trout.

I think this is the argument that Jack intended to start with the poll. And I'm taking the bait. Statistics say it is well less than half. I think you'd also get self-selection out of that, those that are there to creel them being less likely to heed the advice and go out after the wild ones.

Further, I see an educational advantage to the suggestion, more of a long term benefit even if there is some short term harm. Unfortunately, most of us don't fight to protect resources until we respect them, and we don't respect them until we experience them. Thus, highlighting and encouraging wild trout experiences to the unconverted is a good thing.

We complain that the PFBC focuses too much on put and take streams, and not enough on wild trout streams, even to the point of preventing put and take streams from becoming wild trout streams. I agree. But I find it highly hypocritical to hold that position and simultaneously try to hide the wild trout fisheries from the general angling public. Afterall, the PFBC answers to the general angling public.

pcray - you have a much more optimistic view of human nature than I do.

What, that we tend to only take action on things if they are important to us personally?

I consider that a weakness of human nature, but a realistic one.

pcray1231 wrote:
[Further, I see an educational advantage to the suggestion, more of a long term benefit even if there is some short term harm. Unfortunately, most of us don't fight to protect resources until we respect them, and we don't respect them until we experience them. Thus, highlighting and encouraging wild trout experiences to the unconverted is a good thing. quote]

I don't think our wild trout streams need to take any kind of harm. Every angler can discover wild trout fishing on their own (like I did) through the fish commission's many publications. Why do we need to even let anglers know when they can find out on their own? If they don't know, they won't come. Why open up that can of worms?

Also, I have fished opening day before on stocked streams where there also is wild trout present. I have heard many people tell me that they caught some "natives", but they were too small to keep. What does that tell you.

Troy

Every angler can discover wild trout fishing on their own (like I did) through the fish commission's many publications.

The publications helped us make the conversion. Some people don't read those publications, but rather use the newspaper or other media. Why wouldnt' finding new methods to get the word out convert more?

Why do we need to even let anglers know when they can find out on their own?

To speed up the process and change the focus. I'd rather see more anglers start with wild trout and respect for the resource, rather than grow into it after some time. Stocked fisheries can then be relegated where they belong, as a supplemental fishery, holding a backseat to wild trout.

If they don't know, they won't come.

And thats the problem. The PFBC focuses on where the majority of anglers go and know. Thats how they structure their regulations, thats how they determine what land to buy and protect from development or private interests, etc.

And deeper than that, when it comes to water quality issues, stocked fisheries don't require anything special, wild fisheries do. I feel access and water quality degradation are a far more serious long term threat than overfishing. I want as much weight on our side as possible. The powers that be need to see wild fisheries for what they could be, a powerful economic benefit to the community, and protect them as such.

Plant trees-stream bank restoration

pcray1231 ,
Good use of the quote button. Obviously, I suck at it as you can see from my post above. Anyway, it is a good trait of yours thinking for the best regarding human nature. I just don't see it. If there are fisherman that have kept fish their whole lives, I don't think they will change to catch and release. I used to keep fish until I was about 18. I then switched, so it is possible. I just think the older you get, the less of a chance for change.

As far as getting the word out about wild trout to gain more of a statewide alarm to protect the resource. I can see that, but then again most of that boils down to our state wanting to do something. I think our state is more worried about money than protecting our natural resources. If they really wanted to protect our resources, they wouldn't have leased our state land to the marcellus shale drillers. Money is a terrible thing and it's sad to say that is what motivates the world. That is a whole new argument and I'm not getting into that.

pcray1231 wrote:

What, that we tend to only take action on things if they are important to us personally?

I consider that a weakness of human nature, but a realistic one.

No.. I was referring to your hope that once a "catch and kill" angler experiences wild trout that he will respect the resource. I don't think all people are wired that way. I think the catch and release ethic is simply unable to be grasped by some.

pcray1231 wrote:
I think this is the argument that Jack intended to start with the poll.

I find this comment incredibly insulting.

I didn't mean to insult you Jack, but I did see it as somewhat of a bait for a discussion on your option #1, which isn't a bad thing IMO. Afterall, discussions are what a message board is all about.

Jack either fishes flies on the opener or skips it altogether. The bait exclusively is used in opening day threads. :)

Back