Opening Day Flies for Oil Creek

E

elguapogurn

Hey everyone,

Probably going to hit a section of Oil Creek Opening Weekend, and was looking for the best fly patterns and sizes. Suggestions? Thanks y'all!

grannoms have a small possibility of happening. Have caddis in 3 forms.

Dries - dark body, light wing
wet - dark body and dark hackle
nymph - green weenie, or some sort of green caddis pattern. Or even a cased caddis with some sort of green in it.

Besides that, these are stockies, so glo bugs, san juan worms, wooly buggers, and basic nymphs like hares ear, pheasant tail, princes, etc should all catch fish.

I think the grannoms are going to be back on there regularly scheduled hatch time this year which is later in april.
Hatching now are black stonefly adults in 18-16. Nymph are brown and yellow.
Can't beat streamers on this creek for early season searching.

there were a nice amount of stoneflies hatching yesterday. water may be still cold for them to look up. stonefly and egg dropper has been the ticket.

Can't beat streamers on this creek for early season searching.

+1

And from my experiences early on Oil(and other streams in the NW for that matter) I haven't had much luck with stonefly dries.

My initial plan would be a heavy dose of glo-bugs/sucker spawn and woolly buggers, honestly.

My backup plan would be "real" bugs, and if I'm not seeing any bugs in the air, I'd start with subsurface stuff focused around the caddis family. High stick nymph with pupa or swing traditional wets.

Just wanted to say thanks to those that replied!

I did well on the Neshannock with pink SJW's on Saturday. If you're lucky the grannoms will start soon.

Cannot wait, leaving Friday morning to our camp in titusville. Will definitely be on oil creek, but usually delayed harvest areas
Ed

Hey Brains, we have a "camp" just South of Titusville. But babies/kids have kept us away for the most part for a couple years. Trying to get up more this year. Not sure what part of Oil we're planning on fishing. In the past we have fished the delayed harvest areas on opening day. It didn't really seem to be less crowded from what I remember. I like to get away from the crowds. The only problem is my fishing partner is having hip problems and may not be able to hike too far.

I've had success opening week with Buggers, Picket Pin (when fish are rising), and just your general nymphs. Or whatever Mike at Oil Creek Outfitters tells me to buy that day! I was just looking to get a little more specific with my fly selection this year.

Elguapogurn that is funny I think I know where your camp is. Is the the one next to Chubsy wubsy?

Brains, it next to Chubsy Wubsy. There is also a small crick nearby called Orange Run. Lots of wild brookies!

I would start with a BHPT and a size 16 black hairs ear dropper. Been doing real well around petroleum center with this rig. Egg bite has really dropped off. Also my version of a picket pinn produced over the weekend.

Small (sz. 16) sucker spawn in pink and pale yellow. Dose with Power Bait Trout Scent. White marabou streamer in a smaller size, maybe 6 or 8. A sz. 16 or 14 sparsely dressed black wetfly to mimic a black stone. Sz. 16 and sz 14 black stone dries, but don't bet the house that you'll have success. Maybe and maybe not. No way to predict that. This rain may have the creek way high on Saturday. You may want to wait till Sunday. The soonest you should see any grannoms would be the following week, but I doubt you will then. While an unusually cold March doesn't make the water as cold as it makes the air, it prevents the water from warming very much, so the development of the grannoms was probably retarded some. It was historically cold this march. I judge grannoms to start the weekend after the trout opener or later. 21st sticks in my head. So maybe 23rd or 24th.

I fished it Saturday Apr 6 in the DH section. Caught fish on a steamer (lead eyed bugger) and a green weenie. We also saw size 16 stone-flies returning to lay eggs. One or two steady risers were observed. Good luck!

Thanks to Bruno for the opportunity to fish Oil!

Better fill your cooler if heading to camp at Oil creek, the creek is blown big time and probably wont fish till next week. Might wanna look at Caldwell or thompsons instead.

Back