One week in August, where too?

theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

The wheels are starting to turn for a little vacation come August. Was thinking W Branch of the D, maybe Tioga County. The wife is coming along so it isn't going to be 100% trout 100% of the time. Any suggestions on places that should have reliable cold water that time of year? Anywhere within 5 hour drive from Philly.

August isn’t going to give you a lot of options for trout. Best bet would be to try for smallies on the Juniata at Jfigz’s place or somewhere similar. If you had to stick to trout you will probably be relegated to fishing terrestrials on spring creek or a lesser known spring influenced stream.

The again if things end up like last year you may be fine anywhere you go.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
The wheels are starting to turn for a little vacation come August. Was thinking W Branch of the D, maybe Tioga County. The wife is coming along so it isn't going to be 100% trout 100% of the time. Any suggestions on places that should have reliable cold water that time of year? Anywhere within 5 hour drive from Philly.

The WB of the D River is just about guaranteed to be cold enough, but for the first time I can recall, last year the water levels were actually too high to wade for nearly the whole season. I would say the chances of that happening again are very slim.

There's really no way to predict how the Tioga County or any of the central or north central PA streams will fish in August.

I agree 100% with afishinado.......WB of the D River would be a very good bet

The WB of the Delaware will certainly be cold enough and sometimes too cold! I had to fish up by the dam last August because it wasn't wadable downstream and my legs were frozen. Water was coming out of the dam in the 40's if I recall. A few fish were still active and there were bugs but wasn't idea. I think that's your best bet for PA in August if you want to plan something ahead.

I know August isn't ideal but I'll be in Montana in July and have to spread the trips out a bit. :) Anyone tried VT? Maine?

Deep creek lake Maryland. Plenty for the wife to do(and you too). Three tailwaters within half hour and numerous brook trout streams as well. Fantastic summer time trout fishing.

HopBack wrote:
August isn’t going to give you a lot of options for trout. Best bet would be to try for smallies on the Juniata at Jfigz’s place or somewhere similar. If you had to stick to trout you will probably be relegated to fishing terrestrials on spring creek or a lesser known spring influenced stream.

The again if things end up like last year you may be fine anywhere you go.

Good call, HopBack. In August I would definitely be chasing smallies. If I had one week with no obligations I'd be loading up a canoe/kayak and taking a week long adventure down the Juniata, Susquehanna, Clarion, or some other decent smallie river and camping on islands and adventuring. I can see how the wife may not totally agree with those plans, though.

On a side note I was just thinking yesterday about when I should try to plan the WW Jam for this summer. I am starting to day dream of June and wet wading into the J and tossing gurglers and big streamers at some bronzebacks.

Vermont will probably be too warm in the big waters. Maine, I would focus on tailwaters as your best bet, but the closest there is probably around ten hours.

While a week long float sounds great not sure I can sell that to the wife as anything but a straight up fishing trip. Deep Creek sounds like it might work. Ryan, I know the Savage and NB of the P are nearby, what's the third tailwater?

Another vote for upper delaware. At a minimum, the WB should be good until shehawken, and the EB should be good above shinhopple. The top of the EB and WB have tough fish but are very consistent.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
While a week long float sounds great not sure I can sell that to the wife as anything but a straight up fishing trip. Deep Creek sounds like it might work. Ryan, I know the Savage and NB of the P are nearby, what's the third tailwater?

Middle yough, confluence to Ohiopyle, the upper yough is good too, but you need to time the releases from deep creek lake. If you decide to go there shoot me a pm. Your wife could spend a day at nemacolin woods if you went to the yough.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:

Stay in philly put your wife up in a hotel in center city so she can explore while you are fishing bring kayak and a 9wt then hit the slow moving tidal areas for snakeheads. Its a win win .

Fredrick wrote:
theoriginalnickyp wrote:

Stay in philly put your wife up in a hotel in center city so she can explore while you are fishing bring kayak and a 9wt then hit the slow moving tidal areas for snakeheads. Its a win win .

Frederick, the snakehead pusher. I don't blame you, I'm sure that it is a blast. I'll be getting in touch with you at some point to guide me to some good snakeheads, if you don't mind, Fred...

Why not the Ozarks...the water is ice cold and the fish are aplenty. Happy reading: https://www.planetware.com/missouri/top-rated-trout-fishing-lakes-rivers-in-missouri-us-mo-153.htm

This is on my list this year.

The Ozarks would be cool. Good suggestion Wild_Trouter. MO and AR have some pretty high quality spring creeks that are supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. MO has those "trout parks" which are quite ridiculous though. Pay a fee to fish and they stock trout like 365 days a year. Now that is crazy.

Maybe an important question to ask, is what does your wife like to do? (can't believe I thought of that of all people)

WB of the D is cold for sure but not really a shopping/ arts mecca. they do have a Dollar General in Stileville and Hancock. Ray Turner can be... interesting. Also Marino's. LOL

How about State College? Tricos in the AM back by brunch. Hang out pool side or whatever...

She's actually pretty easy, so long as we spend some time together she's good. Usual strategy is to fish early while she sleeps in, then a late breakfast and onto the days distractions. Ozarks is probably too far, Center County trico hunting could fit the bill. So far WB seems like the best option so far. I live right by the Art Museum so snakeheads and hotel rooms aren't that big of a draw. For a full on trip anyway.

Another possibility would be to rent a cabin near Kettle Creek.

It's very relaxing around there.

If the streams get too low for good trout fishing, it really doesn't matter.

You can go swimming at the lake, go for walks, go for drives through the mountains, fish for panfish at the lake, go to the store in Cross Fork and get ice cream cones.

The Pine Creek valley is nice too, especially if you like bicycling. You can also go to the overlooks over Pine Creek canyon.

troutbert wrote:
Another possibility would be to rent a cabin near Kettle Creek.

It's very relaxing around there.

If the streams get too low for good trout fishing, it really doesn't matter.

You can go swimming at the lake, go for walks, go for drives through the mountains, fish for panfish at the lake, go to the store in Cross Fork and get ice cream cones.

The Pine Creek valley is nice too, especially if you like bicycling. You can also go to the overlooks over Pine Creek canyon.

Agree ^ would be a nice time. And if the water is low and warmer you can always slum and fish for smallies. They are a whole bunch fun to catch!

Back