One of "those days."

V

Van_Cleaver

I guess everyone has them once and a while. Yesterday I drove about forty min. to fish White Clay Creek. Or it would have been accept for an accident where local hereos diverted me several miles North and West when it appeared they could easily have guided traffic around. Got rigged up and started just below the DH area and noticed my nippers missing. Despite the fact that it was cheap it was sorely needed because it seemed I spent an inordinate amount of time re rigging and fixing leaders. I should mention I fished the same stretch within the last two weeks and had a banner day. The levels were good as was the temp (60). Pools that had produced six or seven fish were producing none or one, and I rolled way more than I actually landed. At one point I hooked a fish and he popped off with the rod loaded; lost two flies and wrecked a leader in an overhead tree. I recovered from that and managed a couple nice fish from that run but missed about four as well. After about four hours of this I started back up and fished a little of the E. branch. Rolled another nice fish and I was stating to question my ability to catch a trout which almost never happens. Heading back to my truck I crossed just below the last pool in the DHALO area and noticed a small Brown in the tail. Decided to try a couple casts when I got the best hit of the day and landed a nice 13" Rainbow. My Mojo is back! I thought and headed for the truck; faith restored. BTW, my nippers were laying right under my tail gate when I broke down the gear. All's well that ends well; I suppose.

grew up within sight of white clay,in Delaware below Newark-back then the question of the day was what color the creek would be,not the flies--good to hear there are fish in white clay.

No offense, but your tale would have been more pleasant and communicated your prose so much better if it had been broken into 7 or so short paragraphs.

Jack loves him some paragraphs :)

Apologies if my writing wasn't up to professional journalist standards. I was tired and attempting to cram a lot of info into a small frame and overshot my original game plan.
I will endeavor to communicate more succinctly in the future however, and not make one "bigly" paragraph.
Yours Truly,
Frederick Miller

JackM wrote:
No offense, but your tale would have been more pleasant and communicated your prose so much better if it had been broken into 7 or so short paragraphs.

No offense, but was this comment really necessary?

Van Cleaver - I feel your pain. Nothing quite like getting rigged up with one or two fresh flies only to lose them on the first cast or end up with a birds nest of a leader when everything comes flying back at you.

JackM wrote:
No offense, but your tale would have been more pleasant and communicated your prose so much better if it had been broken into 7 or so short paragraphs

Agreed Jack. My "ADD" rarely allows me to read run-on paragraphs.

hehe

It must be a slow
fishing day, when we debate
paragraph merits.

Cabin fever, spring version? :)

All your responses may be a little different if it were your job to have to read all this stuff and just read one long sentence rather than broken up in the paragraphs so you can understand what the writer is trying to say the only thing it really does is make people not read what you post and what sense does that make if your reason for writing it in the first place was to share with other people to read you'd be surprised how many posts are are in one day to read that are posted in a day or two so I wouldn't be so quick to criticize and think he was nitpicking

I love me some spontaneous prose so post on brother.

And yes ending the day on a good note is much, much better than ending the day as 'one of those days'

afishinado wrote:
All your responses may be a little different if it were your job to have to read all this stuff and just read one long sentence rather than broken up in the paragraphs so you can understand what the writer is trying to say the only thing it really does is make people not read what you post and what sense does that make if your reason for writing it in the first place was to share with other people to read you'd be surprised how many posts are are in one day to read that are posted in a day or two so I wouldn't be so quick to criticize and think he was nitpicking

Did you purposely do the same thing? Or just that ironic..?

He's being ironic.

Look, there's nothing wrong with the original post in this thread. It's good content and just the sort of FF discussion we value around here.

Sometimes we mods hope to guide our writers just a little bit toward clarity and ease of reading. We do the same thing with reminders about title lines in Stream Reports. It's for the benefit of the larger readership and isn't meant to denigrate posters.

In blog publishing, the standard is to break paragraphs apart with spacing. This makes it easier to read on a screen. Again, not a big deal. My writing isn't perfect either.

I agree with JackM.

I only read it until I lost track of which was the next line. Then I said, "The h*** with it."

The prose was good, and it could have been enhanced by the breaks. I was just trying to be helpful. Some people saw it and others did not.

Afish, that cracks me up, kind of pissed I didn't think of it first.

I was responding in a jesting manner; I don't mind constructive criticism. That last post was two paragraphs when typed, yet it turned into one any way.?? I'll start checking more carefully and yes; I can do better. BTW, my computer or this program is refusing to allow me to use paragraphs.

Back