One for you minnow chasers.

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Figured since I get some flack for chasing pellet heads all the time i'd raz you brookie guys.

Do you think these would work for natives?

These are size 10 but thought about doing them in 12 and 14. Easy tie. In my baitfishing days about a decade ago i know that anything white was killer. I had been getting order for those tiny buggers and thought these coyote streamers would work.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Mike

Attachments

• coyoteedit.jpg
    coyoteedit.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 10
Of course they'll work. I'd just be a little concerned about getting them down deep enough without some head weight. Perhaps a black bead?

The fly itself is weighted

Anything works for natives, but yeah, nice.

You need to tie them in 8's and 6's not 12's and 14's

Chat. The coyote fur I have is not long enough for the right proportions. Thought about it though.

I can guarantee it. I fish a size 12 golden retriever in that color pattern during the winter and it is killer, figuratively speaking.

Listen to Chaz apperantly he knows everything. I would tie them in size 10-16. No way a 5" brookie is fitting a size 6 hook in its mouth. Without getting the point threw its eye. If your fishing for big wild brookies only. Your kinda missing the point.

10-18 or even 20 and'm with ya . Those are some nice lookin flies mike , just drop down over the mountain , between the windmills and the strip mines ,PAVIA, nice to see you still here buddy , does TAPS still exist or did they disband? I've about given up , but i did run into an ex member up in Erie.

They will do. White is my go to color in small streams when the water is off color. Try them after a good rain and see what happens.

I know it all and 14 is largest and 16 smallest. If you tie smaller than that, might as well use a nymph and if larger, I hope you don't impale too many troots.

Mike,

These definitely look nice, but I have one suggestion, especially if these are targeted for brookies. Make sure the tails are short, otherwise I predict some short strikes and missed fish. I learned this the hard way with some of the micro buggers I tied up a few years ago. I thought the extra longer marabou would be a positive, but it resulted in me missing a lot of fish. I imagine whether the material is coyote or marabou is not important, but the length is.

Also, I tied a modified bugger last night, based on how you tied in the extra hair at the hook eye, tying a piece of marabou in mine. I like the extra action that provides and the fish (albeit brownies) did too today.

I agree jack

What's hilarious is Chaz's avatar pic is what looks like a fish no bigger than 7". But he only catches the big ones. Even that fish right there with a 6 wooly prolly died.

White streamers catch trout, and bass and other game fish. There is nothing brookie-specific about them.

In fact where they really shine is when fishing for stocked trout. I'm not being sarcastic. White streamers are one of the very best things for stocked trout. Try it!

What you tied is very similar to the marabou streamers that were very popular back in the day, i.e. 1960s and 1970s. One problem is that with a long, soft wing like that, you get a lot of wrapping around the hook shank.

That is why that style became less popular, and more people now use streamer styles that still have good movement, but don't have that wrapping problem. Such as Wooly Buggers, Zonkers (and other rabbit strip styles), and Shenk's White Minnow.

I agree, but within weeks, natural colors will begin to shine brightly.

Dear Phish off,
I don't go out trying to catch sub legal brook trout with big flies, I use big flies where I know I'll catch large brook trout. Places you have obviously never thought or heard of to fish. When using big streamers I seldom even get follows from dinks and I certainly don't hook them.
So what your saying is don't fish for brook trout at all? Because every time you go for brook trout and use a dry fly you run into the ethics issue according to your rules, because every time you cast you're more likely to catch a dink than I am. That's why I don't use small flies.
Chaz

Thanks Chaz. Ill still continue to catch small brook trout.

Your still fishing a four foot wide stream with a hook that's too big. Sure you never catch dinks Chaz we get it. Your gods gift lol. Prior to what you believe a 5 inch Brookie can take a size 6 streamer. Streams we never thought to fish? Lol you bet your *** if I knew where you lived I could find the streams you fish. I know you don't walk far. I'm out

Dear rather, I don't fish 4 foot wide streams for tiny brook trout. eveything I fish is bigger than that, from 3 to 10 times larger. Now stop bothering me about how I fish. Perhaps if you fished larger streams you'd understand.

Back