One day fishing license question

B

Bearski

When someone buys a 1 day license, does that license permit the holder to fish approved trout waters? Or do you have to fork over the additional cash for the trout stamp? A one day pass is about $11 and the stamp is a similar price.

have to purchase both if you plan on fishing any trout waters (regardless if that is not your intended target)

Yup, What he said...If you are on trout approved waters and don't have the correct license - they could get you. A one day ticket could cost u plenty more.

Bearski,
If you buy a one day license and plan to fish ATW from March 1 to May 31 you need to buy a trout stamp in addition to the 1 day license.

If you plan to fish special reg areas or Class A water you also need to buy a trout stamp in addition to your 1 day license.

If you plan to harvest trout anywhere throughout the year...you need a trout stamp.

However, if you are fishing an ATW stream/lake that we are stocking in the next few weeks and do not plan to keep any trout you do not need a trout stamp with your one day license.

Clear as mud right?

I am curious the source of this statement:

"However, if you are fishing an ATW stream/lake that we are stocking in the next few weeks and do not plan to keep any trout you do not need a trout stamp with your one day license. "

That is to say, it contradicts the first statement in that between May 31 and the next stocking, there are more than 2 weeks on many streams. I am sure I am missing something and that may be a few brain cells. :cool:

WCO wrote:
Bearski,
If you buy a one day license and plan to fish ATW from March 1 to May 31 you need to buy a trout stamp in addition to the 1 day license.

If you plan to fish special reg areas or Class A water you also need to buy a trout stamp in addition to your 1 day license.

If you plan to harvest trout anywhere throughout the year...you need a trout stamp.

However, if you are fishing an ATW stream/lake that we are stocking in the next few weeks and do not plan to keep any trout you do not need a trout stamp with your one day license.

Clear as mud right?

Mr. WCO is correct (of course). A trout stamp is required to fish an ATW (aka stocked trout stream or lake) from March 1st through May 31st. But from June 1st through February 29th of the following year, no trout stamp is required to fish an ATW, even though it may be stocked in the fall. You can legally fish but you cannot harvest trout from the ATW without a trout stamp.

There is a reason for this madness, though. Don't forget, many of these streams and lakes have panfish, bass and other WW fish in them. Anglers fishing for these WW fish are not and should not be required to purchase a trout stamp.

WCO wrote:

I thought ATW’s were closed to fishing March 1 until opening day. Special reg waters are probably different, I'm guessing.

Back