One Word

MKern

MKern

If you had to sum up what fly fishing means to you in just ONE word, what would you say?

'Passion' sounds too easy.

Let's think about it. I've lost girlfriends, skipped dates, missed meals, missed showers, driven cars to pieces, gotten sick, sunburned, bitten, and spent money I didn't have.

I guess it works.

It has always been "therapy" for me.

Addictive

fun

Obsession (and everything above)

Steve,
I believe the "(and everything above)" is slightly more than one word and is an addition to your "obsession". :-D

Just kidding. I was thinking about this while driving yesterday and found it hard to come up with one word. And as you can se, I haven't thought of one yet.

I thought about it for a while, and the best I can come up with is

"Contradictory"

What else can you call a sport that is both relaxing and exciting? It rests the mind and at the same time requires complete focus and problem solving. We do it as therapy but yet its totally addicting to the point where we lose money, jobs, women, and sanity over it. Obsessing on details is mandatory, but the big picture becomes clearer. It's purpose is to get us to enjoy the outdoors, yet we sit for hours indoors playing with fur, feathers, and thread. The oldest of sports, full of gut feelings, tradition, and incorrect beliefs, but interlaced with extensive science (entomology) and modern, cutting edge materials. We try to look fashionable (admit it) but then avoid other people. We'll travel big distances to knowingly catch fewer fish than what we have out our back doors. Even the goal is contradictory to non-fishermen, we put all kinds of time, money, effort, and thought into convincing an animal with the brain the size of a pea to eat feathers, then we stick it with a hidden sharpened spear, and drag it unwillingly to our hands to hoist it into a medium where it can't even breath. Then we turn around and release it, and lecture others on how NOT to harm a fish.

How about ``SWAPING''??
Not sure what it means but it has something to do fly fishing.lol

fickle

Forum open for swaping and trading fly fishing gear.
Please fix that before I go stark raving mad-thanks

Pete,

You talking about the misspelling of the word "swapping"? I think pad is going to post the picture of grampa simpson yelling at a cloud again!

If I were Dave, I'd change it to ``swapping" with your signature open quotes, just for spite! :p :lol:

just kidding but it's one of those things that catches your eye and won't let go.
How's that for a Pennsylvania dutchism?[mother].

Fly fishing to me is a "hobby". According to Webster, a hobby is:

A subject or plan upon which one is constantly setting off; a favorite and ever-recurring theme of discourse, thought, or effort; that which occupies one's attention unduly, or to the weariness of others; a ruling passion.

pete41 wrote:
Forum open for swaping and trading fly fishing gear.
Please fix that before I go stark raving mad-thanks

Gosh, I guess that's why that forum is almost unused. People start to post about some used gear they have, then become fixed on the misspelling. Soon they are frozen, unable to even find the SUBMIT button.

And personally, I think were way past the point of preventing your madness. :p

"Release!" of

Tension
Joy
Attitude
Laughter
Dillusion

and sometime
Dignity

and Fish!

Fullfilment

Wonderment