Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Off topic. Bad Seeds

From South West FL
My advice is this. Don’t punch anyone with your casting hand. I grew up in southwestern PA and in addition to being a fishing guide, am a teacher in an inner city school in southwest Florida. It’s sad to see these children deprived of a home life and you see this aggressive behavior all the time. The bottom line is that if parents don’t care how their children behave neither will the children. As teachers we only have these kids for 45 minutes a day, punishment in school that isn’t handled at home is useless to them.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 14:07

From NC PA Mountains
Maybe instead of "I obliged and returned said dirty look" you smiled at him. It might have confused him.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 14:22

From Bozeman
No offense taken, tom. I understand that my being pretty young means that I have to earn some credibility (philiosphical cred ) in any points I make. I'm totally fine with that, as I take anything that anyone younger than I am says with a grain of salt.

That aside, I am curious as to what I've said that you might disagree with and what your stance may be. If you'd feel like elaborating. If not, that's cool too. Not looking for a debate, just a few thoughts and a decent read (that goes for anyone, btw).

littlej,
I don't think that this is really a function of the strictness of catholic schools as much as it is a function of capitalism being an efficient governing factor in schools... All private schools, regardless of creed, that is. Private v public... IMO private always wins, due to the market's ability to ensure a quality product via competition. The product, education in this case, is sure to be better given that the customers will just leave otherwise. IMO, nobody should inherit the choice of where to get an education unless they like to allow the publically funded ones to get lazy and presumptuous.

Again... I'm pretty much a libertarian with a smidge of anarchocapitalistic beliefs, so that's just me. Don't worry anyone... trust me... i strive to be reasonable!

Posted on: 2007/3/16 14:29

Re: Off topic. Bad Seeds Book 1916

I have a book that was my Mothers, titled "Manners for Boys and Girls". I would love to see it republished and become a best seller! Our society and country would benfit greatly! Printed 1916

Posted on: 2007/3/16 14:54

From Bozeman
haha.

something tells me that you fish alot of these!
http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

haha. I kid I kid.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 15:00

Jay,
I will not speak for Tom, but I'll tell you how my thoughts. I am closer to your age than toms (I think). The presence of having a kid is what seperates us (me and you). Pre kid I probably would have revved the engine and chirped a little tire with my big chrome bumper pointed at that punk.

Why? Because I had nothing to lose (maybe some teeth). Now I have everything to lose. You think differently.

Another thought. People like this moron would do good with a little military disciplin.

It goes back to my whole "society does not let boys become men" statement before.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 15:21

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

ryanh wrote:
Jay,
I am closer to your age than toms (I think).

If this is true, ryan, you MUST stop saying you are old because that makes me down right ancient...it also makes jack a fossil.

Quote:

The presence of having a kid is what seperates us (me and you). Pre kid I probably would have revved the engine and chirped a little tire with my big chrome bumper pointed at that punk.

Why? Because I had nothing to lose (maybe some teeth). Now I have everything to lose. You think differently.

Thats a more direct way of saying what I was TRYING to say.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 15:45

Quote:

ryanh wrote:
Just wanted a broader consensus.

I was on my way to work this AM and a guy walked in front of me and gave me a dirty look. I obliged and returned said dirty look.

Ryanh, without knowing more about the situation it's hard to comment. Is there any possible reason that you can think of that he gave you a dirty look? What was the driver/pedestrian situation? Who had the right of way?

I both drive and walk frequently, so I see both sides of the coin. What's clear to me is that many people, both drivers and pedestrians have no idea at all what the right of way rules are.

So a lot of the angry encounters I see between drivers and pedestrians comes from that confusion about not knowing what the rules of right away are in intersections.

From the pedestrian point-of-view this is what I see all the time. I'll walk up to the intersection and the light is green. I start walking across the intersection. In that case I have the right-of-way over anyone turning through that intersection. The person going straight through on a green has the right-of-way over the person turning. The person turning is required to yield. That's the law. But a lot of people don't know the law and will drive aggressively right at you and glare and yell etc.

Of course some people don't CARE what the rules are. But a lot of people honestly think the pedestrian violated the rules.

Some pedestrians screw up by thinking the pedestrians have the right of way regardless, so they just step out, even on a red light, or just walk right across the middle of the street in front of oncoming traffic. There are problems on both sides.

Little Juniata,
Check out the dog training books by Ian Dunbar. Verrrrryy good stuff. There's been a lot of changes for the better in dog training.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 16:00

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
...it also makes jack a fossil.

For the record, Tom is referring to Jack Steel...

Posted on: 2007/3/16 16:05

Jack you are at least Mesozoic. We both know it.

Troutbert,
The guy walked down the middle of the street and i was no where near him when he started giving me the stink face.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 16:20

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Preening, aggressive behavior is fairly common in fairly recent post-pubescent males across the species spectrum of the animal kingdom.

In humans though, as the years go by, it is usually replaced by other concerns like: "Why is my lower back locking up" or "Do I have an hour free to try to tinkle" or "why did I put the overdue book in the refrigerator and take the tabasco sauce to the library...:)

All kidding aside though, IMO, in the last 30 years, the culture has coarsened considerably, civility has greatly waned and self-absorbtion is at an all time high.

Lot's of theories why, but I don't particularly subscribe to any one of them as the primary cause. I do think though that there is a link between what is going on and the technological advances of the past 50-100 years. We've taken an awful lot of the need to actually interact F2F with another human right out of the calculus. IMO, partially because of this, the world is a much interpersonally colder place than it was when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's.

Just a viewpoint. YMMV...

Posted on: 2007/3/16 16:32

From Harrisburg
Dear RLeeP,

Great post! They say in order to get a point across you have to involve your audience. Your "tinkle" story and the confusion between the library book and the tabasco sauce got my attention right away.

I do think you made an important point regarding how technology has greatly reduced the need for face to face interaction. It's gotten to the point that some people don't even use the phone anymore, it's all e-mail or text messaging. Real communication is becoming a lost art.

Regards,
A semi-old fart.
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/16 17:04

troutbert: Thanks, I will check that guys stuff, but heck I don't like couch potato dogs, that is why I got a Schnauzer, he is now out in the snow, using his nose and head for a snowplow, (clear up over his ears) he is having a ball. All nine pounds of him

Posted on: 2007/3/16 17:20

Edited by littlejuniata on 2007/3/16 17:55:38

From Gettysburg
Just as I posted last week - I'll reiterate my view that much of this can be attributed to the self-esteem movement so prevalent in the 90s. As a HS teacher, I see kids everyday that have been told all their childhood how smart they are. Some upper middle class suburban parents are in absolute denial about how mean-spirited some of their kids can be. Fortunately, the self -esteem movement has been discredited but today's youth are a product of it. And of course you're right about the lack of fathers and home discipline too. Hip hop culture is pernicious and leads to a lot of acting out and I'll also second the post regarding technology saturation and the lack of face to face interaction. My drill sergeant at Ft Benning could teach these boys a few things that would certainly make 'em better.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 18:16

"real communication is a lost art" most recent example the latest debacle in the White House.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 18:19

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com