Off Topic - My recovery

Padraic

Padraic

I plan to put together a blog to keep everyone up to date on my recovery. I don't want to make you guys wait for me though. It takes me a month of Sundays to do anything. Until then, you can watch my "game tapes" on You Tube. Just search on Padraic Recovery.

There are 5 videos in all. Check out the memo field for information on when the video was taken and other facts.

Things are going pretty well. I've started acupunture. I don't know if I believe the fancy, mystic theories of how it works or even the dry, scientific justifications. I do know that I've been working hard in therapy and seeing new gains since starting the accupunture. So I think I will continue with both needles and work.

I was able to climb 5 stairs in therapy recently. I really need to get a video of that. I also got on a stationary bike, that didn't go as well. I wasn't able to bring my left foot over the top without assistance. My therapists were impressed though, that I had the range of motion to allow the motion at all.

My left leg remains the issue. It tends to lock out. Worse, when it does my toe points down so the whole leg gets forced down into the ground. It's very hard to pull it forward when it's like that. That's why my left foot is wrapped up in the videos. I'll be getting a brace soon. We have high hopes for how much that will help. Of course, it would have been nice if the high hopes of not needing it had panned out.

Don't reckon I've read about what malady you've suffered. But good luck with the recovery. :)

Padraic,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you sounding so upbeat, as I'm sure the therapy is both difficult and frustrating at times. Hope you feel all the good vibes radiating from the Board.
Coughlin

keep fighting Pad!!

Keep up the good attitude, and continue to fight and work hard in therapy.

Pad,
It is good to hear that you are getting better. Keep up the hard work!

Troy

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Pad. I'm glad to hear things are progressing.

Mike.

Pad, keep up the good work and keep up the correspondance....it has to be good for the mental therapy also! You've been on the prayer list soooooo I guess it's working. Paul

Just thought i would check in and see what's going on at the old site.

Padraic, I'm at a loss for words (I know, it's hard to believe), so I will just say ditto what has already been said.

You are one tough son of a gun. Keep fighting my friend!!!

Pad,
Keep those neurons firing... There are new paths to be blazed!
Hopes and prayers always.
schrec

Festus wrote:
Don't reckon I've read about what malady you've suffered. But good luck with the recovery. :)

Sorry, I should remember to explain what happened. Folks come in and out around here. I can't expect that people already know.

I had taken up bicycling, and I was training for a charity bike ride. I like to raise money for a local library in the area, and I had just finished a ride that raised money for diabetes. I was getting good at riding and doing good with the fundraising. It really felt good in a lot of ways.

Anyhow, I was out with a local cycling club. We had just finished a big climb and turned back down for a twisty, steep descent. I suppose my back tire went flat on the ride up the mountain because when I hit the brakes to keep my speed nice and manageable (I am nervous on the descents), the bike started fishtailing. I couldn't slow down and I couldn't make the first bend. So I did the next best thing. I slammed into a tree at full speed. Hey, at least I got the bike stopped.

I remember being carried out of the woods knowing I couldn't move my legs. I was strangely calm about it. I've been strangely calm since. I mean, when you are in a situation that is so much bigger than you, there's no sense fighting it. But it's not hopeless. If I work hard, I should be able to build the strength in my legs again. So maybe one day, I'll be wading Penns again and feeling lucky as hell to be getting skunked again. :lol:

As a diabetic, THANKS for riding.

Hang in there with the PT. It works. I broke my back in a bad fall in 2002 and I didn't think I'd ever be able to walk and wade like I used to. Through PT, water therapy and alot of hard work, I can at least get out and about for short periods of time. But like the song says...."I Ain't As Good As I Once Was."

Good luck with the recovery. Hope to hear you are getting skunked real soon. :-D :lol: :lol:

Dear Padraic,

You will be back on the crick dude.

There isn't much I'm sure of, but your unique combination of faith, determination, hard work and a sense of humor will get you through this. That much I do know my friend.

Please keep us in the loop as much as you can. You have many people here on the board and beyond who are pulling for you.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

God luck and god speed. My dad has diabetis. Its just terrible. At least you can still help us new people. I like to believe things happen for a reason. Maybe this is gods little way of using you to help us become good fisherman. He's just borrowing your knowledge for a little while. You'll be back on the water soon.

Padraic wrote:
..... So maybe one day, I'll be wading Penns again and feeling lucky as hell to be getting skunked again. :lol:
Something for all of us to remember - to count our blessings and keep things in perspective.

Ain't no "maybes" about it, Padraic. You'll be getting skunked again soon. :-D

I get to see Pad alot, so i get to see his progress, I've even go to some of his therapy with him. You can't believe the progress this man is making. What determantion he has!

So I know damn well, him and I will be fishing together someday soon!

You're the man Paul. And if Padraic starts to get down or slow down, kick his butt for me. Figuratively of course.

I'm saying prayers for ya.

Fight the good fight and get well. I can't imagine what it's like, but it's inspiring to see you fighting so hard.

Back