Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Nymphing

From Berks County
I want to be a better nymph fishermen. I think I know what I'm doing, but always find myself watching other fisherman around me catch more fish than I do.

I use 9ft 4X leaders with 5X tippet. I fish double nymphs rigs and usually add a BB size spit 12" above the top nymph. I set my strike indicator about 1 and half times the depth of the water. I use all the nymphs the local fly shop recommends. I mend the line to avoid drag.

I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:14

Re: Nymphing

From Pipersville Pa.
IMO, there is no set way. Using 1 split shot in one run may work but not in another. I vary the amount of weight used depending on the water depth and speed. When you are using an indicator whatch it intently. Watch the bubbles on the water. If if your indicator is moving faster than the bubbles you have drag on your line. Keep mending to avoid this also you should be bumping the bottom with your rig. If not you probably need to add more wheight.
I do believe, if you are not loosing the ocasional fly you are not deep enough. One other thing a strike can be obvious or very sutble. Sometimes just a small tick means a fish.

gencon

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:39

From Portage, PA
Do a search one Euro/Czech nymphing. Should be all you need to know. I am still just getting my feet wet but I enjoy the sucess i have been having lately. There are many guys on this site who are very proficient at it.

I had a post on this, that is in the tips/ tricks forum. Weave through the negative comments and bashes, and you will see a wealth of information that others have posted to help me out with learning this style.

I still perfer indicator fishing but czech/euro nymphing is growing on me. I am adding a rod better suited for this style to my arsenal as well.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:59

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

mre3810 wrote:
I think I know what I'm doing, but always find myself watching other fisherman around me catch more fish than I do.

Pay closer attention to where they are fishing, or more precisle where they are casting. A 50yd stretch of stream might have only 10yds of water that is likely to hold fish. (or none at all for that matter.)

Reading the water and focusing on only the most likely spots is key to catching fish IMO. Even the best streams have more crappy "dead" water than good fish holding areas. A trick is to think in three dimensions, a spot may look good but, for example, if it's only shin deep or has poor bottom structure it is probably not holding many fish.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:08

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
like gencon said you want to be on the bottom. another thing to add is I only fish nymphs in fast moving water with a lot of weight. generally areas with a lot of white water is where I nymph. I find a deeper hole and work a bubble line with the nymphs. don't get to specific on what nymphs the ones you nee are PT, Hears ear, scuds, and caddis larva and midges. this also depends on the stream. but in most stocked streams that's all you need. don't use the cheap sticker foam indicators they suck if your are trying to learn how to nymph. I used little bubble that are like a bobber.

I don't know much about Euro/Czech style I just high stick. try to keep as little fly line in the water.

one last thing is the water is still cold and the fish act differently this time of year so don't get to mad. slow deep pools is where you will find fish. the best fly in winter is a zebra midge.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:16

From Portage, PA
A wise old bait fisherman to think of the water as a buffet line. The fish will want to be at the head of the line to get the food they need before the other fish can. Also key in on structure and rocks to determine where the fish will hide for cover.

Combine the two and you will have figured out the most productive feeding lies. Also pay attention to how the fish will see you. In faster/white water the fish will not be able to see you as well and you can afford to get closer to the stream. Match your weight to how fast you want the flies to get down to the feeding zone. Faster areas will give the fish less time to reject your fly and less time to make the decision to eat it.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:20

From Delaware Co.
Join bucks county TU they have some of the best nymphers in the state as members I'm sure they will show you the ropes

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:36

From Perry County
I'm with penn, pay attention to where those other guys are fishing. They are fishing in the areas they are for a reason. They have learned that those areas hold fish. Learning to read water and finding where the fish are holding takes time on the water, not reading about it, or even being told about where to fish but from being on the water flinging line and yes losing a few flies. Remember it is a process and it takes time to learn what will eventually become instinct. Strikes are often very light, any time that line quits moving at the same speed as the water that could be a take. And at the end of the day you may find a spot holding fish, use the correct fly, be drag free and still not catch anything. It sounds like you are on your way to learning just keep at it.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:44

From Monessen, PA
I'm not much of a nympher, but my initial reaction is like the others: it sounds like your set-up is correct, but you need "time on the water" to begin to know as a second-nature, where to fish and where in the drift the "take" is most likely to occur. This is the place that your tension and slack control are most crucial. You could be "mending" at the wrong times throughout the drift.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 14:58

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Butler, Pa
Ok, so today I was fishing Neshanock, and tons of little brown stonefly nymphs were swimming along the surface you could scoop them out I grabbed one, open up the box and decided to throw on a beadhead PT and a size 16 black prince nymph. I put two micro split shots between them and thew on a micro indi. No fish for the first half hour I then realized that they were eating them higher in the surface film, so i lowered my indicator to about 7" about my PT, then bam fish after fish after fish. It really all depend on the scenario, I guess like above just learn to read fish and the water and you'll become more keen.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:04

From Monessen, PA
So, if you got the setup correct, what next? How does your rig hit the water and where does it hit the water? If you are using a strike indicator and are inexperienced, you probably notice that the fly hits the water sometimes behind (upstream) of the indicator, othertimes below (downstream). Also in any other direction (toward the caster/away from the caster, etc.). You must observe how these different positions effect the sinking of the fly in relation to the drift of your boober, so you can judge when the fly will be in the "zone," that your zen tells you will be holding trout. In any given cast or current, these factors may dictate how you want the rig to hit the water. Then, as you noted, if the drift is not setting up corectly based upon your zen instincts, you must adjust the drift (mend) to correct it before entering the strike zone. I have seen people mend because they think you must do so to be a nymph-god. Keep in mind, the mend adjusts the drift, but if you don't see and feel the drift, your mends are likely to be of no lasting value. Ohm!

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:10

-- Leo Tolstoy

In my opinion, it is the location and technique, not the fly, no matter what style of nymphing you are doing. Watching youtube videos, reading internet articles and books like Dynamic Nymphing are all great ways to learn without buying lessons. To be honest, the best way to learn is threw trial and error and time on the water. Also try to surround yourself with fishermen better than you that are willing to help.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:23

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
A buddy taught me how to get my flies to sink like rocks when using an indicator. When fishing an indicator your flies are being immediately pulled down stream and do not sink very quickly. Depending on what part of the water column you are fishing it might work for you. However, when you want yoir nymphs directly on the bottom ticking this is what you do......

Cast out like normal.
Strip out extra line and shake it onto the water.
Then roll cast that line that you just stripped out above your indicator.
If you do it perfectly you will lift the indicator out of the water a little and this will instantly sink your flies.
Your floating line will be behind your indicator.
This will give you in most situations a drag free drift and put your flies on the bottom.
You can keep stripping out line and roll casting it out. These times you will not pick up your indicator out of the water.
Doing this will be like dirty pinning with a fly rod.

I hope I described that ok. I just recently learned this tip up on the Delaware and was able to get a drag free drift for a long ways down some seems. My flies would hit the bottom and get snagged in places that they were not before, because my indicator was pulling them downstream and not allowing them to hit bottom.

Hope this helps somebody on here. It sure helped me.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:34

From Central PA
80% of the fish are in 20% of the water...when you fish in the 80% section you will have succes. you can also follow the stock truck to find out where those 80% are.

note where you see others catching and releasing fish, go back there the next day and stand where they were, you will figure it out...good luck.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 0:38

From Ohio
Learn tight line/euro techniques to add to the arsenal. Make adjustments to the water depth and speed (weight and depth) when indicator nymphing. Keep the flies on the bottom. If snag bottom once or twice every ten drifts you know you're in the strike zone. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/2/26 7:17

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com