November/December Steelies

jifigz

jifigz

Okay folks, please give me some direction. I've only done the Erie steelhead thing once and it was in March. I found some really really good fishing and the fish were extremely easy to catch. I plan on taking 2 trips up this year and seeing what I can find. I plan on going for the first time in November or December and then again in March. Would you hit the "mile" creeks of head down to the Walnut and Elk Creeks side of town for November/December? Does it really matter or will the fishing be about equal whether we go Southwest or northeast of Erie? Also, anyone have any good lodging options they prefer close to an area that you recommend for fishing that time of year?

Thanks in advance.

jifigz,

I've never fished the East side tribs because it is a longer drive for me. So I can't help you there.

As far as West side, I usually fish Elk because it is the biggest.

Walnut tends to be more crowded. I have fished it a few times, but stayed away from the project water and the half-circle jerk known as [d]Manchaser[/d] Manchester hole. I'm not into combat fishing.

I prefer bigger water for big fish. Better fight. East side tribs are smaller. I have checked them out, but never fished them.

I actually prefer the steelhead fishing in Ohio because of bigger water. But I haven't done it in years. In fact, I don't think I've done it since moving to the farm. Weird because I can be on Conneaut Creek in about 30 minutes from home, and Chagrin Rive in about 10 minutes from work.

Steelhead fishing is fun, but if given a choice, I'd be on a wild trout stream in PA.

Once or twice a year, I hit the PA side for steelhead because I usually already have the license. I do live in Ohio, but since I live so close to the line, I usually just buy a PA non-res and not Ohio res license. I feel there are more angling choices in PA.

J-

Glad you had a good time in March I usually stop going probably before even February Because I’m tired of the cold by then but more Importantly they dump the Smoltz in and all they do is ball up your rigs.

The most important factor are conditions and not techniques

Try to go mid week and after a good rain - good chance for success.

If water is stained use bigger brighter flies. Like big eggs or sicker spawn. Pink egg is where my confidence is in Erie.

If the bigger holes taken- Fish the smaller runs and holds people are walking by. Half the anglers don’t know fish are there and typically will produce. Some holds are bathtub sized. Glasses really help here.

Snow may stop your travels but not the fishing. I’ve fished in storms and did well. Felt soles are nice but if there is snow they will cake on your boots. Try rubber bottoms with studs.

There will always be people but if you walk always or stay away from the mouths you should be okay.

Early starts usually better. But also by 3 or 4 guys are headed back for happy hour.

If your staying on west side Quality Inn is hard to beat. 5-10 minutes to Elk and it’s very reasonable priced. Good luck.

Farmerdave, trust me, the Erie steelhead thing is only okay in my eyes and I'd rather be on a wild brown trout stream any day. The only difference is that I'm surrounded by amazing trout and smallmouth fishing where I live. Steelheads are a nice change of pace, scenery, and somewhat of an adventure. It is kind of like a vacation because I can get to leave for a few days and totally leave behind responsibility instead of driving 10 minutes to an excellent wild trout stream and then coming back home where there may be work of something else that I have to get done. So that is really the appealing aspect of it for me.

Acristickid, thanks for the tips. They were too easy to catch last March that it was almost annoying. Also, it was frigid and I understand but their fight wasn't even that good..I'm hoping earlier in the year to actually feel a good tug from a sizable fish.

I normally stay at the quality inn and fish elk and walnut. The mile creeks are nice, but small and hard to spread out in my opinion. I tend to stick to elk over walnut just because of the crowds. Sometimes when elk is tough, I head to walnut because the fish are in a smaller area and at least I know I'm fishing over fish. It can turn to combat fishing in a hurry though.

If this question had been asked 25 years ago, I might have had some information worth sharing. Not any more though... Even though I live in the middle of it, the only time I have any contact with steelhead fishing any more is when I wave at the guys coming north on I-79/US19 North as I'm going south to go walleye fishing..

All the same, I know that some guys like to stay at the Green Roof Inn in Platea which is a decent indep lodging alternative. A side benefit of the Green Roof was that Crowley's Restaurant, a quality eatery, was a 5 minute walk from the motel. Then Crowleys went belly up. However, somebody decided to resurrect it under another name: http://www.goerie.com/news/20180807/erie-county-restaurant-has-new-name-new-mission

I can't vouch for the food, etc. Crowley's was very good. All the same, this means the convenience of decent lodging/nearby restaurant at that location has returned.

Just a thought.. Give a wave as you're headed up. I'll wave back.

jifigz wrote:
Farmerdave, trust me, the Erie steelhead thing is only okay in my eyes and I'd rather be on a wild brown trout stream any day. The only difference is that I'm surrounded by amazing trout and smallmouth fishing where I live.

Dear sir,
You suck.;-)

Steelheads are a nice change of pace, scenery, and somewhat of an adventure. It is kind of like a vacation because I can get to leave for a few days and totally leave behind responsibility instead of driving 10 minutes to an excellent wild trout stream...

If you are trying to get under my skin, it worked. ;-)

...and then coming back home where there may be work of something else that I have to get done. So that is really the appealing aspect of it for me.

I completely understand. I think everyone should do it once, just to see all the huge fish all stacked up. Even if you don't fish, seeing huge trout all stacked up like cord wood is an amazing site. It way better than seeing the carp at Linesville spillway. Show of hands, how many have driven more than an hour to feed the carp. Be honest.

I was going to mention Quality Inn because I know people who stay there. Free breakfast. But I live less than an hour from there so I never felt a need to lodged in the area.

FarmerDave wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Farmerdave, trust me, the Erie steelhead thing is only okay in my eyes and I'd rather be on a wild brown trout stream any day. The only difference is that I'm surrounded by amazing trout and smallmouth fishing where I live.

Dear sir,
You suck.;-)

Steelheads are a nice change of pace, scenery, and somewhat of an adventure. It is kind of like a vacation because I can get to leave for a few days and totally leave behind responsibility instead of driving 10 minutes to an excellent wild trout stream...

...and then coming back home where there may be work of something else that I have to get done. So that is really the appealing aspect of it for me.

I completely understand. I think everyone should do it once, just to see all the huge fish all stacked up. Even if you don't fish, seeing huge trout all stacked up like cord wood is an amazing site. It way better than seeing the carp at Linesville spillway. Show of hands, how many have driven more than an hour to feed the carp. Be honest.

I was going to mention Quality Inn because I know people who stay there. Free breakfast. But I live less than an hour from there so I never felt a need to lodged in the area.

Comments like this make me HATE Northern Virginia! I have to drive 90+ minutes to get to decent trout waters, 3 hours to western md, aka heavan. Can only dream what it's like to go hit a trout stream for an hour after work. If I really get desperate I can fish for those filthy warm water fish but.......

You won’t be disappointed regardless of which end of Erie you head at that time of year. I personally like the New York Lake Erie creeks best. It’s all good. Have fun.

ryansheehan wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Dear sir,
You suck.;-)

Comments like this make me HATE Northern Virginia! I have to drive 90+ minutes to get to decent trout waters, 3 hours to western md, aka heavan. Can only dream what it's like to go hit a trout stream for an hour after work. If I really get desperate I can fish for those filthy warm water fish but.......

Hey Ryan, in a 20 minute drive from my house I can probably be on 14 or so streams that, and here is the best part, ALL HAVE WILD FISH. Actually 7 of those streams are Class A and I can walk to the Juniata in like 2 minutes so that helps too.

Sorry......maybe that went too far.

But back to my original question maybe I'll just stay at the Quality Inn and fish the lower creeks. That is where I at least have a little bit of experience. And I'm a complete and total noob up there so when someone mentioned the "Manchester Hole" that means absolutely nothing to me. Plus I'll be closer to Poor Richard's and I plan to keep one steelhead and release the rest and try out their smoked fish thing.

I like to start around Walnut or Elk and work my way over to 20 mile creek. That way I can stop by Mama Mia' Pizzaria for a fresh slice or a calzone. And then on the way back pick up some dinner. :lol:

You should make it to the Steelhead Jam. It is a good time. I love running around Erie. It is a beautiful place to fish. There are lots of farms and scenic streams to fish. In addition, the elbow to elbow fishing is fun to watch at times.

I should be staying at the quality Inn this year.

Cheers,

ryansheehan wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Dear sir,
You suck.;-)

Well, it could be worse. You could be living in Ohio. ;-)

I can actually be on several trout streams in 90 minutes. Closest is about 20, but it is stocked. I normally travel a little farther into PA for trout, or fish closet to home for warm water species. Like in my back yard.

So FD, are you taking our trout and stocking them in Ohio?

Manchaser hole is next to Manchester road of course. ;-)

Go to Fisherie.com. They have some useful maps.

Manchester hole is the last "hole" before a small falls which slows them down. They can get over it when the water is flowing decent, but not so much when water is low.

That whole area from the falls to the lake will be elbow to elbow, because there are usually tons of fish. I'm not into rubbing elbows (literally) when I fish, but to a twisted mind like mine, it can be fun to watch for a few minutes.;-)

PennypackFlyer wrote:
So FD, are you taking our trout and stocking them in Ohio?

Of course not. I'm eating them.

Actually I haven't brought any home in years. When I figured out what I was paying per pound after all of the expenses, I decided they were two expensive for my stomach.

Well I'll not be looking forward to that and I'll be trying to find steelhead away from people. Last time I was there I found tons of fish and no people on a stream that I've not really heard discussed on here. It was fun, but maybe it was because it was below freezing and March when I was up. Either way, I'm not into elbow to elbow fishing.

I have stayed at the Green Roof Inn and it is a nice motel only about 10 minutes west of Girard, PA and Elk Creek. Actually I prefer to stay at the Sunset Motel in West Springfield because it is only about six miles from Ohio and steelhead streams that are bigger and less crowded. It costs around $60 per night and the rooms are cozy, have a little frig, microwave, and coffee pot. Also plenty of heat and many cable TV channels.

I much prefer Elk to Walnut because it is bigger and has so many miles and miles of water to fish. You can find fish from the mouth all the way up to I-79 at McKean. I have only fished Sixteen Mile once and didn't like the water near the mouth although the water above the falls is said to have a lot of fish.

Twenty Mile used to be very good from the mouth to the Route 5 bridge but over the past half a dozen years it has filled in with tons of gravel and most all the pools are now fishless. The best water is down near the mouth.

I prefer NY streams as they are bigger and have far fewer anglers. There are a number of NY Erie streams that have steelhead.

Of course if I am going to fish Twenty Mile or NY streams I stay along I-90 in a Marriot or similar hotel. There are also reasonably priced, under $80, along I-90 and at some of the exits.

jifigz wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Dear sir,
You suck.;-)

Hey Ryan, in a 20 minute drive from my house I can probably be on 14 or so streams that, and here is the best part, ALL HAVE WILD FISH. Actually 7 of those streams are Class A and I can walk to the Juniata in like 2 minutes so that helps too.

Sorry......maybe that went too far.

Twist the knife!!! I can take it. The only wild trout two minutes from my house are at whole foods.....

Back