Norm Shires, Dr. Jack Beck

M

maxima12

Norm shires, A reminder of a legend!

Dr. Jack Beck, A reminder of a hero!

tying leaders and remembering the past!

Maxima12

Tying leaders must do something with your mind.

I knew Jack and worked with him in PATU. A good man and one of the founders of the CVTU/PATU Rivers Conservation Youth Camp.

I'm a little puzzled though as what your point is bringing up Jack 20+ years after he passed away. I mean, I know of no rule that demands that everything we think be instantly converted into print and made immortal on the interwebs.

But whatever..

Has it been 20 already! Seemed like yesterday. If I was to forget old friends, what use am I. you have to understand a bond of friendship that lasts longer than the friend. I will never forget and will never let go. Maybe, it's all I have left to offer. Good things happened then, a brotherhood if you believe. Where's your brotherhood to dismiss what is loyal. If I was to forget, than I am a fool.

Leaders, yes a tedious job, when goal is 5000 to start. Thinking keeps the train rolling.

Also, you knew him, you stated what he has done. Did you do as much!

Don't sit in the back seat and tell me how to drive. I will gladly give you the wheel, if you know where your going?

Let's put it in other words. I have not seen good things on the horizon from the newbie's. Kind of makes me mad when you forget those that have done so much to keep fishing alive.

remember yesterday was history! tommorrow will be a mystery!

Maxima12

Yeah, the hairs on maxima's neck are standing straight up. Put it in words what you did. Help! I help every day. But to do something for the better of everyone, I doubt it. You have no idea on how lucky you are because of the immortal few. Immortals, the list is long. Good men and women doing what we as regulars can not. Koch, Shires, Harvey, Humphries, McCollough, Barr, Fox, Schenk, Stevens, Shaw, Wulff, Hughes, Flick, Jorgensen, etc., etc. and Beck. You hide behind your cloak, wave your finger and say " why bring up the old news". Well, brother, the old news is better than the new news.

we fought hard, when the end was near!

The end is on the horizon! How hard are you willing to fight!

Pa. commission is in trouble. Big! Think you can fix it! No! All the above did. There is a legion of 10000's who can help!

WOMEN: The secluded bunch! Waiting and wanting!

Maxima12

OK, I get it..

Thanks for ironing me out.

Just a caution, though.

Be careful about going around referring to yourself in the 3rd person. It'll end up costing you double to go to the ball game.

Thanks!

maxima12 wrote:
Norm shires, A reminder of a legend!

Dr. Jack Beck, A reminder of a hero!

tying leaders and remembering the past!

Maxima12

Maybe you could list some of their accomplishments.

Oh, Maximax, Maximax -- You seem to be trying to present things that appear to be positive. But, sometimes how you say what you say is pretty confusing. (But, maybe that's the retired English teacher in me.)

Anyhow, a couple of heroes around my neck of the woods are the late John I. Kennedy and the late Fred Sherlock, who did more for trout stream habitat than anyone else I know. I was fortunate to spend time around them when I was an active TU member.

Sort of like an E. E. Cummings like delivery.

Rich: I got to know John Kennedy some during the last few years I was active in State TU. Great guy with a list of accomplishments for the resource most of us could only aspire to.

It's funny what you remember, sometimes. Of all my memories of being around a lot of these older guys when I first became active in PATU, one of the ones I cherish most and one that gives me a good chuckle every time I think of it to this day was Bus Grove timing his clouds of cigar smoke for just when Howard Gustafson was about to walk by. Drove Howie nuts. The other thing between them was that Howard was quick, impulsive and sorta high strung. Bus was more the opposite, slow and deliberate. So, when Howard, who was PATU President at the time and had to run the meetings, was trying to finish a discussion on this or that agenda item, Bus would speak a few words in his robust baritone and then simply stop.., sometimes for a full minute or more, before picking up the thread and continuing with his comment. Howard couldn't take this. He'd bounce up and down, blow his breath up towards his glasses and start yelling: "Gawdammit, Bus! Get to the point!" And of course, this just made Bus go slower because he was doing all of it just to irritate Howie.

It was hilarious. You couldn't put a price on this kind of entertainment...

maxima12 wrote:
Yeah, the hairs on maxima's neck are standing straight up. Put it in words what you did.

Why?

Help! I help every day. But to do something for the better of everyone, I doubt it.

If I do things for recognition from you or anyone else, then aren't I doing it for myself?

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate all that those guys have done, but I'll bet most of them never felt a need to toot their own horns about it.

Big shout out to Mr. Shires. He is one of the Big Spring restoration guys and a Limestone Legend. His son, Ralph, does many things to advance fly fishing, not the least of which is teaching dozens of kids about the sport each year. Grandson Austin follows in footsteps of Ralph and Norm. A wonderful family.

Back