Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Night fishing for big browns

anyone ever had any experience being successful at this. if so what streamers would you recommend tying up for this type of fishing?

Posted on: 7/7 16:10

Re: Night fishing for big browns
From Gettysburg
Many of our forum members are avid night fishermen.

In my experience, what fly you use isn't terribly important at night. The consensus among many night guys is that flies should be relatively large, black, and should push water or make a commotion. A plain ole Wooly Bugger has worked well for me in the past.

Posted on: 7/7 16:16

Know your water like the back of your hand or expect to swim and possibly have a broken rod.

Posted on: 7/7 16:26

From LV
Krayfish makes good points, make sure you fish a location during the day before attempting fishing at night.

Posted on: 7/7 20:16

From Lancaster County
Where are you located at Brook is manifesto? I intend to hopefully indulge in three nights of brownie stalking, beginning Tuesday night..

Posted on: 7/7 21:11

From Camp Hill, PA
It does not work. Think midge magic.

Posted on: 7/7 23:07

From NE Pennsylvania
Just found a few Dobsonflies last night. Perhaps some big immitations of these huge flies skimming across the top might get a big boy to the surface. Just a thought.

Posted on: 7/8 6:35

From NE OH
Everything Krayfish said is of the most importance. You have to be safe 1st and foremost. My best success is with black articulated streamers. It really does work if you are willing to be persistent and sort it all out. Most are not. The handful of us that have stuck with it find it exceptionally rewarding. As Bill Cosby said when I was a kid, "The monsters come out at 10 o'clock"!

Posted on: 7/8 9:22

From Lancaster, PA
The more I read about this the more I think I'm going to have to try it someday. I know of at least two holes that are close to safe night access (as in, low probability of stepping in a hole and breaking a leg, etc.) and hold large to very large browns that would no doubt love to eat a mouse or something else large and tasty come nightfall.

Jeff

Posted on: 7/9 9:13

From NE OH
Quote:

Alnitak wrote:
The more I read about this the more I think I'm going to have to try it someday. I know of at least two holes that are close to safe night access (as in, low probability of stepping in a hole and breaking a leg, etc.) and hold large to very large browns that would no doubt love to eat a mouse or something else large and tasty come nightfall.

Jeff

While big browns do like big meals, don't be fooled into thinking you have to throw big stuff at night to catch them. They come out at night because it is safe. While I have a big streamer problem, it's my problem. Big browns will hit dries and hoppers just as readily at night. Fish at night because that's when the monsters come out. They don't actually feed a lot different than the daytime dinks

Posted on: 7/10 8:38

They come out at night during the warm months for the same reason they come out during the heat of the day during the cold months-it's most comfortable for them.
They will feed avidly under a full moon-don't believe that bit about the darker the night the better.
Woolly buggers or matukas or any other streamer where the tail doesn't wrap around hook much preferred for obvious reasons[not obvious at nite so you waste time checking constantly].
don't paranoid yourself about nite wading-no more dangerous than day time-use common sense.
watch out for skunks[lol].
and as someone mentioned-the big ones do tend to feed in spurts-hours of nothing happening then its a happening.

Posted on: 7/11 7:35

From Lancaster County
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
They come out at night during the warm months for the same reason they come out during the heat of the day during the cold months-it's most comfortable for them.
They will feed avidly under a full moon-don't believe that bit about the darker the night the better.
Woolly buggers or matukas or any other streamer where the tail doesn't wrap around hook much preferred for obvious reasons[not obvious at nite so you waste time checking constantly].
don't paranoid yourself about nite wading-no more dangerous than day time-use common sense.
watch out for skunks[lol].
and as someone mentioned-the big ones do tend to feed in spurts-hours of nothing happening then its a happening.

Agree with everything with pete says, except the wading not being anymore dangerous at night. I spent Wednesday evening on a stream. I fished a stretch in the two hours of daylight before dusk. It was a long slow pool that looked great for night fishing, and I spotted a few larger fish there, which made it worth coming back to. The bank was manmade, from rip rap, with smaller fill rock, but there was 1-2' of shallow water that flowed over the boulders along the bank, before it dropped off quickly into the pool. I had no trouble walking in the shallow water in the light and felt comfortable enough to come back to retrace my steps in the dark. In the dark, what was easy in the light became much more challenging. I stumbled around a fair amount, tripping over boulders, stepping into mud, and finding there to be a fair amount more of tree branches blocking my path, than I had remembered in the night. It's a horrible feeling, that moment of panic in the dark, when you take a step, plant what you think is a solid foothold, and then to feel that foothold give way and your leg slips into deep water. And then the panicked stumble to try to get back to shallow water or dry land..

So my advice on the wading piece is to stay out of the water as much as possible at night. No fish is worth making a widow and orphans out of your family. Not that your standing on the bank won't still be sending sound waves into the water, but you won't be sending visible ripples across a pool telegraphing your presence to your quarry.

Posted on: 7/12 23:58

also-don't wade wear you should be fishing-until you learn the ropes there is a tendency to wade the shallow gravel bars where the big ones are chasing small fry and cast into the deeper water-hit the shallows first-surprising where big fish roam at night.Don't angle out on bars unless you are sure you can get back unless you can swim well.lol
I waded the yellowstone,madison and other big western waters at night-stay calm and use common sense.
Did mean to say avoid streamers where the WING wraps.Feather wing streamers such as spruce flies are deadly but best left for day fishing.

Posted on: 7/13 8:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com