Nice donation to Project Healing Waters from my place of employment

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

When railking had told me he was the new guy in charge with the Project Healing Waters for the Altoona area it sparked my interest to help. I addressed this with my companies, "charity division" if you will.

I found out today that my company will be donating $1,000.00 to the program. I am very happy to work with a company who is still making decent donations in these hard economic times. I believe this could give their fly tying program a nice jolt, or maybe even contribute to an event.

I am eager to get down to the VA and help with some fly tying classes and such. My schedule is pretty busy with my 7 month old, but this is something I want to be more heavily involved with. This donation may help organize an event. I had also found out about an organization called, Reel Recovery www.reelrecovery.org . This organization uses fly fishing as a way to help cancer victims. I hope to tie up a box of flies to ship to them as well. Not much but I imagine every bit helps. I enjoy putting more back into our sport these days than, taking from it.

Alot of flyfisherman like to focus on how good they are, or focus on their so called ego's, their knowledge of specific terms, casting techniques, tough flies to tie, and all that garbage. To me a fly fisherman will not truly know how "great" he is until he starts putting more back to the sport he loves, than what he takes out.

One cannot experience all that fly fishing has to offer, until they share it with someone else.

There was a forum member named plumbob who I thought was working on methods of tying flies for disabled vets. He hasn't been on the site for a while. Might be worth checking to see if he made any progress.

Mike

Congrats to the company you work for. I to contacted railking to find out how I could help out with Project Healing Waters in Altoona. From our conversation he's just getting things up and running. I spoke to him about coming and doing a seminar on wet fly fishing for the group in the near future. So hopefully I can contribute, always willing to do something for our Vets and Youth. Our Vets have made the ultimate sacrifice to let us do the things we like to do like fly fishing. So when I seen his post I jumped right on it and touched base with him. I thought it would be a great way to give back to something that really matters, our freedom and for me to pass on some of my knowledge to help the sport grow. Looking forward to helping out.

Thanks wetfly. If we get something going on an event i will let you know. We may be able to set up a seminar on the stream. I am good friends with the owner of a private trout club and am trying to work out something. Granted this will not be on all tackle water, and might even be stocked that day, but i don't think any of them will care. ;)

Plus i would love to attend the seminar and learn as well. I hope we get this going. The stream may be a little tough but if we get enough volunteers it could be easy to help the vets get to the stream and such. I will keep you in the loop.

This doesn't have to do with fishing ,but is a tribute to our fallen heros
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=70Ikj1hZDnw&feature=related
Turn up speaker !!!!!

I have contacted the local chapter for me also to vol. A small thank you by spending some time helping them.

love2fish,

I think that time can go a little further than money. Great job.

I was amazed at all the feedback I received from the Healing waters thread.

Mike, you getting this contribution from your company will be an immense help. I'm working to grow public interest as well as veteran interest in the program. This donation will open up tons of possibilities for these men who truly deserve the best.

Wetfly, I didn't forget about you. I'm still working on getting things rolling and getting volunteers qualified. I appreciate your offer and look forward to meeting up. By the way, the guy you told me to contact was a great suggestion. The group is very willing to help with the program and I would have never found them without you.

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me about the program. I'm hoping 2013 will bring many exciting fishing memories for these veterans.

WOULD LOVE TO HELP. IN ANY WAY I CAN.

Back