New to forum

C

clydeman

Hello all:
This is a great forum with great info on fly fishing. Grew up in Scotland fishing mainly the River Clyde and lots of different lochs using wet flies. Now live in Bucks County. Love to fly fish and tie flies - still tying and fishing Clyde style wet flies.
Hope to meet some of you on a stream.
Tight lines.

Welcome.

Welcome. I urge you to consider attending the Jamboree. I'd be interested in learning Scottish wetfly techniques. Fish great streams during the day, then spend a few hours or more in the evening with an eclectic bunch of people, all of whom are fly fishing maniacs to one degree or another. Pull out a fly box, open it, and a small crowd is bound to gather and ooh and ahh.

Welcome. As Jack says, you should come to the jam. But I'll correct this one thing he said....

Fish great streams during the day, then spend a few hours or more in the evening with an eclectic bunch of people

To be quite clear, we fish till dark in small groups of weirdo's, and then often have a lengthy walk/drive back to the camp, and the few hours with the big "bunch" of weirdo's occurs well after dark.

Maybe "evening" starts earlier for you than for me PC. I still think of 3:00 AM as a "late evening" rather than an "early morning." Now some of our old guys....

And neither of you mentioned large quantities of alcoholic beverages will likely be present even though the guy did say he was from Scotland.

Where are your manners.

FarmerDave is right. All first-time attendees from Scotland are expected to bring plenty of single-malt whiskey from the Homeland to share. Mostly, though, good old inexpensive Kentucky Straight bourbon whiskey is available, along with brewed beverages, some even with Natural Ice to share!

Everyone brings what they need for themselves, whatever they might choose to share, and we all gather in the evening to discuss the sport we all love, or politics, the Amish, etc. Usually, people will make arrangements with one another to spend some time the following day fishing together. Attendees who are unfamiliar with the streams in the area often hook up with those with more experience in the area.

You would be welcomed with or without bribes from the Homeland. :cool:

Welcome to the forum. Since you mentioned Bucks County I wonder if you are aware of Bucks County Trout Unlimited? Here is the WEB site: http://www.buckstu.org/ if you are interested.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will look into the Jamboree as it looks as if it would be a great time - with or without the single malt. Although on second thoughts single malt is always welcome.

I still think of 3:00 AM as a "late evening" rather than an "early morning.

So splain to me when "evening" switches over to "night"...

And neither of you mentioned large quantities of alcoholic beverages will likely be present.

Well, that goes without sayin....

And in a large group of primarily drunk men, who are cramming way too many people in tents, where inexperienced members "hook up" with more experienced members, leaving the kilt at home might be a good idea, lol.

Seriously, though, we're not like that. Well, most of us aren't, there's a few I'm not so sure of. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Clydeman, I made it to the one last year (first one ever for me) and it was a good time. I probably would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't missed Tomgamber arguing with some old guy, and Jack arguing with the campground owner. I heard they were both quite entertaining.

Rained like hell the night i was there, but it was still fun.

However, I will likely not be there this year. Too much going on at the farm.

Picking up a few head of cattle this weekend. I had it narrowed down to Dexters (a small Irish breed) and Scottish Highland, but went with the Dexters. Sorry.;-)

clydeman, welcome to the forum. The Jamboree is a fun time and a great place to meet some forum members. And there will be at least one bottle of single malt :)

peace-tony c.

Welcome Clydeman. The "Jam" is definately a memorable event. GG

Welcome Clydeman. Hope you can make the jam.

Clydeman I know a guy over in Scotland that fly fishes alot. I have become good friends with him he sent me a bottle of scotch too. Let me tell you though I can't get used to scotch its like drinking turpentine.

Leteras: Not sure which Scotch that you tried but I admit it is an acquired taste. It can range from really peaty to almost like cognac. Since I moved to the states I have also found the wonders of bourbon.

I am not sure of the name but it was a ten year aged scotch.

Back