New to area...

O

od354

Hey everyone...I am new to fly fishing in SE PA area...can anyone offer any assitance with where to fish and whats hitting right now? I fished Valley Creek on Sunday morning for a few hours without much success. Thats the only creek that I have hit so far...

I’m not sure exactly where you’re from in SEPA. Special reg. Trout streams are being stocked this week. Try Pickering, E. Brandywine, West Valley, White Clay in Chester County. Ridley in Delaware County. The PFBC site has a county map detailing each location. You should have some fun with these stocked fish. Try wooly buggers, generic nymphs and attractor flies. Good luck!

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/stocking/counties/ches.htm
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/stocking/counties/dela.htm

I grew up fishing that area, and when I was younger (my family has since moved back to western PA) I fished Darby Creek a lot. It is put-and-take in the easy access areas (which you want to avoid) but if you wade up Little Darby Creek or Darby Creek into the headwaters you will find fish and a real pretty stream. I have caught 20" fish in the out-of-the-way spots because the fishing pressure there is almost exclusively in April and early May. I don't think it is thought of as a big fly-fishing stream, but if you take the time to wade up and down the stream (it'll run into Ithan Run - which itself can be good, if you also look for the out-of-the-way stretches) you will catch fish.

Od354,
That's a typical morning for me on Valley too. I just don't have much luck there. Depending on where you are in SE PA, there are plenty of streams. The closest to Valley that I can think of are Pickering and French Creeks. If you live near Phoenixville, go to French Creek Outfitters and they have free maps of the various local streams. Good luck and let me know if you need a partner.

Valley Creek can be very tough. I usually do best in the evening there. If you don't crawl to the stream and cast from your knees, then you probably aren't going to catch fish. They are that tough there! Any shadow on the water and they're gone. Actually, I have done really well in the winter as well.... The other posts for Pickering, West Valley Creek (near Downingtown), East Branch of Brandywine Creek, Ridley Creek are all good in the spring and fall. Summer months can be tough on the fish in those streams. I also like Ithan Creek in the spring but I haven't fished it much in the fall.

Thanks for the info guys...I look forward to fishing those streams as soon as I can. Fly_Flinger...shoot me an e-mail (od354@yahoo.com) maybe we can meet up sometime and hit one of those streams...always appreciate the knowledge of someone who has fished the area before.

Send me a PM and I'll put you on some good water, but please tell me where you're lving so I can associate some streams to your area. I won't mention that stream in Upper Bucks County either, even though it's darn good especially in the fall.

Yea don't go there my hillbilly family will shoot first now that its getting so popular.... :-D no pm no b@(($

There's more than 1 trout stream in Upper Bucks County.

Don't forget about the Little Lehigh its agreat stream and its alot easier to fish than the valley ....

Back