Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

New Zealand

Just got back from spending two weeks there doing hiking/camping, kayaking and mountian biking in the south island. I had one free day around Queenstown, and used it to do some flyfishing. Although I would have much rather been able to spend a week or more fishing, I only had two weeks vacation so I had to make due with a day.

Although I'm not really into getting guides, and had I been there longer I probably wouldn't have gotten one, since I only had one day I wanted to make the most of it, and got a guide.

The fishing, as well as the fish sizes there are pretty intense, and aside from being fun it was also a great learning expirience into learning how to sight and ambush cast. If you've never seen any pics or movies of the flyfishing there, it's a lot different than here. First of all, the fish are much bigger (many streams support browns/raindows up to 8-10 lbs, and some can get bigger), and they are SPOOKY! There are also much less fish per stream, so you typically only see one about every 50 yards or so, and they live in reletively shallow and extreemly clear water. Since the water is so clear and they are so spooky, we were typically casting from about 80 ft with 16' leaders tapered to 7X. You usually get one cast on a fish, 2 if your lucky, until they get spooked and run to their hideouts, so its pretty much a one-and-done deal with casting.

We didn't have the best conditions for the day, a flooding rain passed through the night before raising the stream levels to ones unsuitable for sightcasting, so almost all guides in the area cancelled their trips. Since my guide knew I only had one day to fish, we decided to drive 2 hrs east to a stream that didn't have the biggest fish, but wasn't flooded. We also has some pretty bad weather at times during the day, and a Mayfly hatch which seemed so be imminent from 10am-1pm never showed up. I was able to get 7 fish in 8 hours, the biggest about 20+" and the smallest about 15", they were all caught sightcasting with the anticipated mayfly hatch and a BH hares ear dropper.

Given the fact that the conditions were so bad, I consider 7 fish a success. However, I was very close to getting a monster on an ambush cast. We saw this one tank brown meandering around this pool, not staying in one place. We were about 20 yards away when he turned away from us and started cruising upstream. I made a cast out infront of him which he was going streight into, and it looked like a hookup was on its way. When he was about 6 ft away from it, a little brown decided to arrogently invade his turf, which took his attention away from the fly and toward the intruder. After that, a large wind came, once it was over, the fish was gone. Afterwards I asked the guide how big he was, to which the reply was "looked like around 7 lbs". So thats my story about how the "fish of the day" got away.

Here's a pic of one of the bigger fish caught during the day (but still med-sized for the stream). If I ever make it back down that way, I'll definately fish for several days to get one of them 8 pounders :).

Attach file:

jpg  nzfish1.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/3/27 3:19

Re: New Zealand

From Delaware Co.
Nice Fish !!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/3/27 17:18

Re: New Zealand
From Chester County
You're one lucky "Dude"!

Posted on: 2007/3/27 17:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com