New Rod, Favorite Stream, Good Times

jifigz

jifigz

I've had my eye on the Orivs Superfine Glass rod for quite some time and recently got one (thanks to the overwhelming kindness of strangers) and have taken it out three times so far. I am absolutely loving this rod so thank you.

In just the past two days I have spent some incredible hours with it out on Kish, which is my personal favorite stream, and couldn't be any happier. The water was clear and flows were pretty low both days with temperatures in the range from 56-58 degrees. The first day I started out at one of my favorite stretches. I eyed up a nice riffle and made some drifts. Splash! A nice brownie took a swing at my foam beetle but somehow missed it. I fished for a ways up stream through gorgeous looking runs and riffles trying a variety of flies but all to no avail. Finally I had a lovely 15 inch brown eat my Frenchie from some of the nicest holding water the stream has to offer. After a few split seconds in the current the hook popped loose and I was still fish-less. I fished for a ways upstream until I came to what is quite possibly my favorite riffle on the entire stream. It is long and extended with lots of current, runs, pocket water, and boulders that make wading just downright difficult. I finally brought my first trout to hand. A leftover rainbow stockie, but immediately after that I began picking up some nice smaller wild browns. I shimmied around the boulders and ledges and hunkered low and was able to entice about 4 wild browns, all under 10 inches, out of the quick flows of these riffles. Having not been skunked I called it good and left for the day.

Later that night I went home and hit my vise pretty hard. I tied up a bunch more nymphs and foam beetles and ants. The next day I headed back out to the narrows section of Kish, which is chock-full of water just perfect for nymphing like I caught them with the day before, and I struck out. I fished all kinds of nymphs through gorgeous water and got nothing. Working up stream I came to one of the few slow pools in the narrows section. I noticed some fish rising and decided to take a stab at them. The pool is long and I got no takes working up through it. Finally I got to the upper end where there were more fish rising and decided to crack the code. I stood there and observed multiple different types of mayflies, caddis, and flying ants and tried to decipher what exactly the trout were eating. I tried a few different patters and struck out until I finally put on just an old Catskill style BWO pattern.

Bingo! I had a fish take it and I missed him. I had another fish take it along the bank and hooked it. It was a tiny wild brown of about 5 inches who shook the hook before I could get him in. I then had a fish take that felt nice and heavy but of course I missed him again. I sat and watched. I dropped my BWO right near where a rise happened and saw my fly sink but a nice brown immediately crushed it as it sank anyways and...I missed it. I watched more rises occur and targeted the bank. Finally I brought a trout to hand. A lovely 12 inch wild brown. I stood there and targeted these fish for a while. I bypassed the next section of beautiful riffles and hit the next pool and brought some more smaller trout to hand. There was one fish that was exceptionally large that was eating from the surface that I could not entice. Overall I found that the Superfine rod was a dream with casting dries and unbelievably accurate.

I had a blast these last two days and, believe it or not, I think those were the first browns I've taken on a dry fly all year (I fish lots of streamers and nymphs.) I will post a few pictures of the stream and fish once I compress them and what not. Thanks again to everyone who helped get the rod....it will be fished hard and cherished for a long time.

I am not sure how you folks always put up decent looking pictures, but maybe I am just lazy. I always quick compress stuff and they look terrible, but here are some photos. That one baby little wild brown is absolutely gorgeous.

Attachments

• 20170911_125425.jpg
    20170911_125425.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170911_131605.jpg
    20170911_131605.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170912_131206.jpg
    20170912_131206.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170911_124250.jpg
    20170911_124250.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20170911_120305.jpg
    20170911_120305.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170911_120256.jpg
    20170911_120256.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170912_134709.jpg
    20170912_134709.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2
Are any of those spots in the photos upstream from Honey?
I have only fished that area below honey down to just below the bridge.

All of those photos are from below Honey and I rarely fish above Honey. It can be fun, but Kish is a much better stream below there where it is bigger water in my opinion. Which bridge are you referring to? The old railroad bridge that is foot traffic only these days? If so that would be the bridge just below where Honey enters.

Yep that's the bridge I'm referring to.
I went there during the jam this spring looking for sulpher spinner dry fly action.
Lots of flies but not much action!

I was well below that bridge and i don't often fish the stream that far up.

Gotta love the last brown.

Back